Water nerves.

My trip out to sea. I'm of the opinion that a crash from altitude over land or in the water will most likely be a total loss in either case.

Can you tell me what lens filter you used for this flight?
It is great footage and the tint is almost sepia. I'm not sure if this tint is due to the filter or the actual light at this time of day. You also point the camera directly at the sun, which I'm pretty sure my nd16 would fail at.
I would like to get this kind of effect but I'm aware shooting the sun directly needs some good kit and technique.

Reactions: LightCollector
Recently as in the same day? So is the battery shutoff in flight still happening despite all the changes? What exactly happened?
It was 3 weeks ago, i don't recall if battery was charged the same day but definitely within 48 hours or so. Took off from beach area (large piece of granite or rock), within seconds, my P3P did a sharp roll and landed upside down in water. I was able to recover it although it was submerged in 3 feet of water All props were attached and it didn't come in contact with any object prior to going down. I'm assuming loss of motor or other failure to component controlling such due to its quick flip upside down. Total flight time according to log was 6 seconds.

Can you tell me what lens filter you used for this flight?
It is great footage and the tint is almost sepia. I'm not sure if this tint is due to the filter or the actual light at this time of day. You also point the camera directly at the sun, which I'm pretty sure my nd16 would fail at.
I would like to get this kind of effect but I'm aware shooting the sun directly needs some good kit and technique.

I have no filters. I shot in Log -2 -2 -2. The exposure was handled automatically by the p3p. The sun was being filtered by clouds to some extent. The color was modified in Adobe Premiere to my liking using Lumetri color correction effect.

It was 3 weeks ago, i don't recall if battery was charged the same day but definitely within 48 hours or so. Took off from beach area (large piece of granite or rock), within seconds, my P3P did a sharp roll and landed upside down in water. I was able to recover it although it was submerged in 3 feet of water All props were attached and it didn't come in contact with any object prior to going down. I'm assuming loss of motor or other failure to component controlling such due to its quick flip upside down. Total flight time according to log was 6 seconds.
Sounds like a bad compass calibration from unseen metal. That sharp roll sounds similar to the wild hook to the left that resulted in a crash on my roof last year. CSC saved the day, before the still spinning props would have cartwheeled it 30 feet onto the concrete below. That was also about a 6 second flight. Fortunately, only the props were damaged. Yours doesn't sound like a battery shut off in flight. I had one of those, too. Dropped like a rock from 220 feet onto concrete, after a straight up ascent, 16 seconds into the flight. Aircraft totaled. Glad DJI took care of you. They covered mine, too!

Had my P3 Advanced for around 2wks now. Pretty comfortable flying on land, and have had around 10 trouble free flights (thankfully). I would love to take it to the beach and and out over the ocean (roughly 300 distance)

Is there anyways to over come the nerves of taking it out over water? I know that at the end of the day it is no different to flying over land, but there is always that worrying thought that something could go wrong, and sink to the bottom of the ocean (same could happen on land but you would in most cases be able to retrieve)

Any confidence boosters/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Xanax

Xanax

Having a few backup birds makes flying over water less traumatic. When it's your one and only, you worry more. Kind of like a first kid. ;) Flying over water is far safer than flying over land. No wifi interference, better signal travel for longer range, better visibility, nothing to run into. Just don't fly out farther than you have battery left to return, just like over land! Beware of the 10% Autoland. It doesn't know or care that you are over water. Full throttle up, while you maneuver back over dry land!

Reactions: meissner58
Had my P3 Advanced for around 2wks now. Pretty comfortable flying on land, and have had around 10 trouble free flights (thankfully). I would love to take it to the beach and and out over the ocean (roughly 300 distance)

Is there anyways to over come the nerves of taking it out over water? I know that at the end of the day it is no different to flying over land, but there is always that worrying thought that something could go wrong, and sink to the bottom of the ocean (same could happen on land but you would in most cases be able to retrieve)

Any confidence boosters/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Check my flight over an island. (horizon tilted ….I know I will fix it)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4