Water nerves.

I'd be very interested to know how much this sort of thing affects flight performance.
They look like they would be a serious handicap in flight, catching the wind and providing plenty of wind resistance as well as extra weight.
They act like a sail in the lightest wind. They also show up in the camera view.

It would be ok to fly over water if you take care of following:

1. Look for the birds around
2. Your flying start direction should preferably against the wind for long distance flying
4. Have enough battery charge for safe return
4. Turn VPS off
5. You may need hand catch during landing
6. Flying over water will get you long range experience but flying near the beach and over people is not advisable.
7. Be careful, you might spot low flying helicopters too.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Had my P3 Advanced for around 2wks now. Pretty comfortable flying on land, and have had around 10 trouble free flights (thankfully). I would love to take it to the beach and and out over the ocean (roughly 300 distance)

Is there anyways to over come the nerves of taking it out over water? I know that at the end of the day it is no different to flying over land, but there is always that worrying thought that something could go wrong, and sink to the bottom of the ocean (same could happen on land but you would in most cases be able to retrieve)

Any confidence boosters/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've done most of my flying over the beach. You just have to get out and do it. Ive considered doing this though. At least it won't sink

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 324
You've got a couple of ugly but very functional options:
  1. Use 2 empty ~20oz water bottles and Zip ties to create a couple of pontoons
  2. Use 2 empty 1quart Ziploc bags, inflate them with a couple of straws and Zip tie them to the bottom struts (i.e. water wings as in this video below)
Both of these will impair flight duration and heighten the impact of winds but at least it won't sink to the bottom...

LMFAO

Has anyone tried using follow me on a jet ski, I was thinking of putting my controller with iPhone in one of those big zip lock bags to prevent it from getting wet and somehow mount it onto the handlebars with large tie wraps (maybe someone with 3D printing skills can make a mount for it) and get some great video while riding.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Once you are comfortable with the controls you just set fear aside & let her rip! Some historical footage from my less than a week old Vision+...

Had my P3 Advanced for around 2wks now. Pretty comfortable flying on land, and have had around 10 trouble free flights (thankfully). I would love to take it to the beach and and out over the ocean (roughly 300 distance)

Is there anyways to over come the nerves of taking it out over water? I know that at the end of the day it is no different to flying over land, but there is always that worrying thought that something could go wrong, and sink to the bottom of the ocean (same could happen on land but you would in most cases be able to retrieve)

Any confidence boosters/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have flown from my boat multiple times and twice from a Jet Ski. I had a driver for the ski and sat facing backwards to fly the Phantom. This way I could concentrate on the drone and have someone concenrating on the ski. Once the weather gets better ill try it solo.

Someone suggested turning off VPS, why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be ok to fly over water if you take care of following:

1. Look for the birds around
2. Your flying start direction should preferably against the wind for long distance flying
4. Have enough battery charge for safe return
4. Turn VPS off
5. You may need hand catch during landing
6. Flying over water will get you long range experience but flying near the beach and over people is not advisable.
7. Be careful, you might spot low flying helicopters too.
I second the bird problem. Your biggest concern will always be birds, wherever you are, rather than trees, buildings etc (assuming you've done your homework that is). I've had to bring mine in on many occasions at the coast due to flocks of curious seagulls, and also inland when red kites start showing interest. One hit from one of them, and both birds are toast.

I bought this quad knowing there is always a possibility I will lose it. I flew over water probably the fourth day I had it. You do get great shots. If you can't afford to lose it you probably shouldn't have bought it...it still hurts either way.

Reactions: Ed209
...If you can't afford to lose it you probably shouldn't have bought it...it still hurts either way.

...actually, I can afford to loose it, but I didn't get that way throwing money into the ocean...just sayin.

Someone suggested turning off VPS, why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can cause issues and unstable flight trying to free hover and land over water. The texture of the waste and the rolling nature don't work well with the ultrasonic sensors.

I have made 3 operator related errors that caused water landings, two times I disassembled the P2VP and set in desiccant bags for a week powered up all ok. The third time I had to scuba dive for it, and it wont come back to life.
Water is tricky and the wind can change quickly, line of sight is best and practice with no trees around, they will snatch you right out of the air.
I learned the ahrd way to set RTH mode over the height of the trees, so do some recon of the area before you fly.

Run your pre-flight check list. Fly out a battery over land, put your best known battery in and go for it.

Make sure your RTH and failsafe settings are good.

Attachments

• FU RAs.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 334
Just done my first flight over water 15,500ft out and 15.500ft back amazing not even a signal lost.

ehh, its just a drone. flying over water is fun, its mostly free of obstacles and you can get some sweet shots. Ive mostly done rivers and lakes, look forward to the Ocean when it gets nice. Here's a run i did up the rockslides at triangle lake here in Oregon.

also a few pics over water.

qIG4Yqy.jpg

1hImPfp.jpg

WBogcPu.jpg

1OlzbMS.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member