Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Water landings and takeoffs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syotr, Sep 28, 2014.

1. syotr

First test of my Waterproof Quadcopter build in the lake. This is a DJI E300 kit in a Dex shell with NAZA Lite flight controller and GPS. Tests were with a Dinogy 2800 Mah battery and GoPro 3+ in it's housing. Brought it back in after half a dozen landings and takeoffs. All was dry inside. ESC's were barely warm. Battery was at 11.4v on landing after 7 minute flight.
    http://youtu.be/zY8Ukpsh_PI

2. OI Photography

Nice!! I know you've been determined for a long time to get a water-safe solution working ;)

Happy with the Dex platform? I know it can be tricky to stuff everything inside one but they do seem to work fine in the water!

3. SanCap

Very nice, I am glad it is working for you.

4. pilsburypie

Very good indeed - most impressive. Is it totally waterproof or just as it floats? Just ask as your first water take off looked like you had a bit of water surface tension holding on to the quad a bit and almost tipped it off balance till you throttled out of it.

5. syotr

Fresh water should not hurt the motors. Could maybe cause the bearings to rust over time.

6. syotr

It is completely sealed up. I poured tons of water over it from every angle last night and no leaks. It should survive even falling in the water upside down. I really don't plan to regularly land and take off from water, I just want to be able to recover the bird and GoPro with no major damage in case of an accidental water landing.

7. syotr

Thanks,
    There is plenty of room in the shell. I can add one or even two more batteries. One of the biggest challenges was getting everything leveled up and mounting the parts inside. All surfaces are curved, nothing is flat or square.

8. SanCap

I have had salt water immersion twice on the original phantom motors. I promptly rinsed them with fresh water and they are still operational today.