Watch what happened to this poor guy (Video)

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/ul632FpsvjU

I was browsing around YouTube and found this. This guy was flying his Phantom Vision+, and lost video feed on his phone for some reason. He then goes on, in detail, about his little adventure.

It is said that his wife later found it (It had returned to the Home point).

After reading the comments on the video, I have learned that the vast majority of drone owners have had this or something similiar happen, and I'm terrified.

GeneralKitFisto said:
After reading the comments on the video, I have learned that the vast majority of drone owners have had this or something similiar happen, and I'm terrified.
I saw that before - it is kind of ironic that the Phantom did what it was supposed to.

DJI says they are selling 30,000 Phantoms a month. Thats 360,000 Phantoms in the wild in one year. And how many fly-aways have you heard about? One, two dozen? Even three dozen is .01% of the fleet. The odds are in your favor that you will never experience a fly-away.

The most important thing is to make sure you have 6 or more satellites and that your home point is set. And put your contact information on the shell, just in case.

The narration is very entertaining. He should have used home lock when he lost visual and FPV. I'm sure he knows that now.

GeneralKitFisto said:
You're terrified that your Phantom may return home if it loses signal just the way it was designed to?
A complete loss of wifi is pretty uncommon but it happened to me this weekend.
My Phantom was 1200 feet away and out of sight across a large river.
Nothing to do but shut down the Tx and wait.
Eventually the angry bees could be heard in the distance and there it was 200 feet above me and descending.
I wasn't surprised to see it but it did make me pretty happy.
All users should test the RTH function so they know how they work for when they need it.

Had this happen once to me as well I think activating phantom mode so you have access to ioc will help so when you pull on the stick or push left or right the phantom will go in that direction regardless which way it is facing.

hotstink626 said:
Had this happen once to me as well I think activating phantom mode so you have access to ioc will help so when you pull on the stick or push left or right the phantom will go in that direction regardless which way it is facing.

String of words meaningless puke keys your computer remedial english what understand fundamental you help to ha ha lol totes.

Meta4 said:
GeneralKitFisto said:
You're terrified that your Phantom may return home if it loses signal just the way it was designed to?
A complete loss of wifi is pretty uncommon but it happened to me this weekend.
My Phantom was 1200 feet away and out of sight across a large river.
Nothing to do but shut down the Tx and wait.
Eventually the angry bees could be heard in the distance and there it was 200 feet above me and descending.
I wasn't surprised to see it but it did make me pretty happy.
All users should test the RTH function so they know how they work for when they need it.
I just think something that I don't know about that's supposed to happen will happen. I'll probably go into panic mode like the guy in the video.

Hi,
Long ago I adopted the procedure of flying out about 50-75 feet from my Home Point right after launch and then put the Phantom in Home Lock mode and pull back on Stick Two to be sure it would fly back towards me. That pretty much verifies that the home point was set correctly and that the other fail safe triggers will bring it back to the Home Point correctly if they are used. That is the only way I can be somewhat reassured that in the event I lose visual I can at least head it back home. I guess if that doesn't save me, I can always just turn off the xmitter and accomplish the same thing. I just would prefer to not turn it off until that last desperate moment after panic has set it.

But the key to any of the fail safes working correctly is to verify that the GPS and Home Lock setting was valid during the warmup period by doing that simple and quick test at the beginning of each flight. Other wise, how do you spell FLY AWAY RISK?

I just purchased a Flytrex Live 3G in the event all of the above fails. Installing it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Regards to all

johnp44 said:
Hi,
Long ago I adopted the procedure of flying out about 50-75 feet from my Home Point right after launch and then put the Phantom in Home Lock mode and pull back on Stick Two to be sure it would fly back towards me. That pretty much verifies that the home point was set correctly and that the other fail safe triggers will bring it back to the Home Point correctly if they are used. That is the only way I can be somewhat reassured that in the event I lose visual I can at least head it back home. I guess if that doesn't save me, I can always just turn off the xmitter and accomplish the same thing. I just would prefer to not turn it off until that last desperate moment after panic has set it.

But the key to any of the fail safes working correctly is to verify that the GPS and Home Lock setting was valid during the warmup period by doing that simple and quick test at the beginning of each flight. Other wise, how do you spell FLY AWAY RISK?

I just purchased a Flytrex Live 3G in the event all of the above fails. Installing it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Regards to all

Yes I do this too. It makes a good deal of sense.
I do it twice, 90 degrees apart from my position to ensure basic triangulation is OK. Otherwise the home point might still be a mile away from where you are :)

ianwood said:
The narration is very entertaining. He should have used home lock when he lost visual and FPV. I'm sure he knows that now.

Bet ya $5 he doesn't. :D

The guy was an idiot.

johnp44 said:
Hi,

Regards to all

great advice... i will implement that procedure during flight..thanks for insight!

Been doing that home lock check for a long, long time.
I have read several times where people shut off the transmitter to get a RTH. I also remember some one stating it was a bad idea. Maybe one of the "bad idea" people can step in and state why they think so.

Marlin009 said:
ianwood said:

Bet ya $5 he doesn't. :D

The guy was an idiot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He Meta4, I think Happy called you up to bat. :lol:

He looks WAY higher than 120 some odd feet.

The Phantom did exactly as it was supposed to do. Situations like this are why HL should be enabled. He could have avoided this whole fiasco if HL was set and working properly. I never count on video feed for orientation. Dont let this scare you. If anything this video should make us all feel better as it shows that when you trigger RTH it will do just that.

As far as testing RTH being a bad idea, I saw a DJI video where the little asian guy said not to test it. I tested it anyway and think it is a good idea to do so.

Happyflyer said:
I have read several times where people shut off the transmitter to get a RTH. I also remember some one stating it was a bad idea. Maybe one of the "bad idea" people can step in and state why they think so.
You read lots of things on the forum - not all of them are accurate.
The manual doesn't say it's a bad idea.
i-v37nRDG-L.jpg

But it does say that RTH will activate when signal is lost, whether that's from switching off or going out of range.
I can't imagine what might be wrong with switching the Tx off to initiate RTH but would be happy to hear any ideas.
In my situation last week, it was my only option and worked a treat.

:oops: Bad me. I got it backwards. :oops:

ccase39 said:
As far as testing RTH being a bad idea, I saw a DJI video where the little asian guy said not to test it.
Anyone suggesting not to test RTH doesn't know what they are talking about.
Everyone should on their 2nd or 3rd flight.
It's very important to understand how it works so you can use it with confidence when you need to.
There are enough tales of inexperienced flyers not realising that's what their Phantom is doing and making a panic reaction that ends up crashing their Phantom.

Attachments

• ha ha.jpg
    ha ha.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 406
Meta4 said:
ccase39 said:
As far as testing RTH being a bad idea, I saw a DJI video where the little asian guy said not to test it.
Anyone suggesting not to test RTH doesn't know what they are talking about.
Everyone should on their 2nd or 3rd flight.
It's very important to understand how it works so you can use it with confidence when you need to.
There are enough tales of inexperienced flyers not realising that's what their Phantom is doing and making a panic reaction that ends up crashing their Phantom.
I totally agree, I was just saying I can see where people may have gotten that idea. I test just about everything I can.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4