Watch This Poor Guy Lose $1430 Worth of Camera and Drone

PhantomFan said:
I'm not talking about the FAA. I'm talking about the damage that your state and local, jack-off, ******* legislators can do passing regional ordinances, not FEDERAL ones. The laws passed by those pin-heads count too, ya know.

PF
They can't. The State cannot trump the Federal Government and create it's own regulations pertaining to airspace in that State.
It's in the Constitution. States can only pass laws that are in the Federal Domain, if that right is ceded to it by the Federal Government.
Soooo, even IF a State/City/County passed a regulation that said no "drones" in our airspace-that law could be immediately challenged and be ruled UN-constitutional.
Read the 10th amendment to the Constitution;http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/tenth_amendment

Do NOT let your State Representative think for one second they can regulate "airspace".

havasuphoto said:
PhantomFan said:
I'm not talking about the FAA. I'm talking about the damage that your state and local, jack-off, ******* legislators can do passing regional ordinances, not FEDERAL ones. The laws passed by those pin-heads count too, ya know.

PF
They can't. The State cannot trump the Federal Government and create it's own regulations pertaining to airspace in that State.
It's in the Constitution. States can only pass laws that are in the Federal Domain, if that right is ceded to it by the Federal Government.
Soooo, even IF a State/City/County passed a regulation that said no "drones" in our airspace-that law could be immediately challenged and be ruled UN-constitutional.
Read the 10th amendment to the Constitution;http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/tenth_amendment

Do NOT let your State Representative think for one second they can regulate "airspace".

Federal airspace isn't the only consideration. Local lawmakers can, for example, pass laws making it illegal to fly in any park. Or, they can get creative with privacy laws that have the same effect of grounding people who fly fpv because they might be able to look over privacy fences or second story+ windows. It may sound ridiculous to us, but I wouldn't count on lawmakers who don't do what we do seeing it the same way.

The "bringing down a commercial aircraft" analogy was directed more at your assertion that inidivual acts don't trigger a law...and I can easily point to hundreds of laws with that exact background. Take off your shoes before boarding an airliner lately? And the recently posted video on this forum of someone up over New Orleans at an unknown altitude but guessed at 1000 feet or over...at night....puts him into an interaction zone with media helicopters.

"R/C? helicopters have been around for many years, with the same flight capabilities as multi's, yet they have not initiated a similar respsone that is so often described by the "gloom and doom" brigade." Poor analogy...The R/C helicopters preceeding this new generation of copters were very difficult to fly, very complicated to construct (and most were BIY), and NOT designed specifically to carry a camera. If that's all we had now we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would love to see a graph of what is going on now, sales-wise.

"If we aren't careful, there will be no need for any regulating by the FAA or other entities; we'll self regulate our hobby into farm fields in the middle of nowhere." Which is EXACTLY where the fixed wing R/C world in the US went a long time ago, for their own safety free from radio interference and for public safety. But the only major difference between the craft is that our copters do not need a long-ish approach and take off field...making taking off and flying our of one's driveway quite simple. My Ph will do 55 MPH (in ATTI or MANUAL) and has 4 sharp, spinning blades, mass, and a battery which, if damaged, could cause a fire. Additionally, it can carry a camera with FPV, hover, and be used to snoop and record details of peoples homes and property. THAT has already triggered one legal response.

But really, in my opinion, what we want to be talking about is just plain old "responsible", in this case....RESPONSIBLE FLYING. We are seeing in this forum, on a daily basis, a constant flow of new Phantom owners who, for relatively little money (and even less risk if insured) can instantly put their bird up into any environment they want, including FAA airspace. There are essentially no laws, no requirements, not even any guidelines. The learning curve in this sport is absolutely LEARN BY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE. The OP post is exactly that. Strap a bright idea different camera to your bird and test fly it....over water. An example of stupidity rightly rewarded. Does anyone doubt that this same guy, if there was a reason to, wouldn't have done the same thing in a populated environment....with a considerably different level of risk?

We see "what were you thinking?" examples of flying on a regular basis here. We hear of crashs and fly-aways (and the bird comes down SOMEWHERE)...on a regular basis. Some people are risk tolerant to a degree that certainly curdles MY blood.

I think there is a place for GUIDELINES, debated and drawn up by the most experienced flyers, posted where it is accessible to all, especially newbies, as to how to learn and progress up the learning curve in a way that minimizes the risk of lost equipment to them AND minimizes the risk of negative or dangerous interactions with the wider public environment. Simply said, promoting RESPONSIBLE FLYING protects our sport from outside limitation. And, as a caveat to that, at least commenting on IRRESPONSIBLE flying is part of setting and maintaining a standard.

THAT, in my mind, is what this thread has been about, and why I think it is important to keep calling attention to such behavior.....lacking ANY permanent guidelines at all for newbies other than their own horse-sense...or lack thereof.

I guess you guys are not members of the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). If you were, you would know that there is a rather hot issue right now w/r/t both quad copters and FPV flying, and the AMA is actively working out recommendations which will likely be considered or outright adopted by the FAA that >>>WILL<<< regulate the circumstances, heights, distances and other conditions of quad copter flying, photography, and FPV.

I recently re-upped my membership to get the 2.5 million dollars in liability coverage ($58 per year. Can't beat THAT) and I STRONGLY recommend every member of this board who is USA-based do the same. Here's the link. Now you have no excuse.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx

PF

phantomflyer said:
Can't say much about his stupidity flying near water but at least I had floats on mine lol. :lol:

Obviously wasn't his money that bought that rig... What a nitwit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phantom flyer,
Thanks for that information.

From this morning's newspaper, immediately after writing my last post above:

"The FAA does allow public agencies -- including law enforcement and other governmental agencies -- to get a certificate of authorization to operate unmanned aircraft in civil airspace. About a dozen sheriff's offices, police and fire departments, as well as U.S. Customs and Border Protection, have been allowed to use drones.

The move has raised concerns about privacy and government surveillance, leading to drone privacy bills being introduced in most states this year and about a dozen states passing laws, most to limit drone surveillance by law enforcement."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/14/ag ... or-drones/

MOST STATES?? A DOZEN PASSING LAWS?? So much for being Under The Radar....so to speak.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4