Watch a friendly piece of advice chase off a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant understand what happened here....

Why couldnt people just move on from a seemingly ridiculously long post that didnt provide anything most wouldnt already know or be of particular interest or value to most people.

He should have put his credentials in the subject line.

Just an observation- i dont suspect there would be too many big shot cinematographers that shoot putting food on the table style footage with 32 gb sd cards. The DJI x5r would be an entry level camera in the pro aerial world and it pumps out 2.2 gigabytes a second.

Reactions: phantom1972
Just an observation- i dont suspect there would be too many big shot cinematographers that shoot putting food on the table style footage with 32 gb sd cards. The DJI x5r would be an entry level camera in the pro aerial world and it pumps out 2.2 gigabytes a second.
He's shot footage of the Amazon, that's been shown on film ... have you?!!! :joycat::imp:

Reactions: happydays
Why did I need to know that you can't remember your pioneer password for three paragraphs?

I thought about leaving out that part but decided I would leave the whole anecdotal stuff that happened so that people don't make the same mistake. You didn't have 3 paragraphs of that, what you got was a friendly reminder to not use your high speed card for something stupid like I did because they are very fragile and the 633x Lexar that it comes with is a high quality card.

I didn't realize that the collective reading level here was 3rd grade at that over 1000 words was going to cause a kernel panic. Also, I never even met you, saw you, conversed with you so what you choose to read and ***** about is nobody's fault but, yes, that's right, say it with me. You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: timz5011

Why couldnt people just move on from a seemingly ridiculously long post that didnt provide anything most wouldnt already know or be of particular interest or value to most people.

He should have put his credentials in the subject line.

I didn't say I was a "big shot cinematographer".

I am a cinematographer and VFX Supervisor and artist and I make no money with any other method. You also assumed that my DJI Phantom Pro was my only bird, but you are not counting my Inspire 4k, my just received Inspire Pro (augmented), my S1000 that I have had forever which carries my Red and my GH4, not to mention all the other birds I own.

And for the person that was calling me out on the cards, I was using P2 cards in Panasonic HVX cams when you were probably watching Full House.

As for whether or not you believe me, other than typing what I just typed, I could not give less of a ****.

Let me break down this thread.

Hey guys, here is an awesome card for cheap (with an apparently too long post which I actually timed myself and it took whatever I said, I actually timed it and it was under 2 mins for an adult to read).

So after trying to be nice and letting you guys have a little jabbing in good fun, I kindly said, well I guess this place is not for me and BAM, you guys just keep going. What kind of people am I dealing with here because with some exception, you are all very strange to me.

One last thing...

:)

EDIT: I forgot to say that what is your point with the X5R???? It doesn't use a card and it comes standard with a SSD drive that is 512 as do most non-flying or heavy pay-load cameras and not bird or action cams and about an entire hour of RAW 4K is about a half terabyte so that is a ridiculous amount of time. X5R. Thing shoots natively in h264 and has a Raw setting. LOL. I forgot to laugh at that being your pro show me up.

latest

Last edited by a moderator:
friendly reminder to not use your high speed card for something stupid like I did because they are very fragile and the 633x Lexar isn't one that comes in a POS.

Thanks for the info, I've got a flaky one sitting in front of me now. And WELCOME to the forum, stick around it can be amusing to watch those that think they are above and beyond reproach.

Reactions: Jussaguy

Just so you know, a Red One shooting at 4K using the Redcode codec gets over 157 minutes at 5:1 (better than they shot The Hobbit at) of ProRes. 32 gig cards are not nothing and 64 are plenty. In the business of TV and film we do what are called takes and they are usually short. Lol. You are really schooling me. You almost had it. You started out this post so nice and then turned.

WEIRD!

I was only trying to help and you all just took a **** on me for no reason. I am a nice guy, not a narcissist actually. Love to share, love to teach. Really do love to actually and was just letting you know that you have successfully run someone off that could absolutely help most of you. That is not narcissism. I am 100% sure. Lol. Sort of a joke in there.

Seriously, I wish you all the best. I tried to delete this thread but it wouldn't let me so I changed the name in hopes people would let it die. Would a mod do the world a favor and kill it.

I didn't say I was a "big shot cinematographer".

I am a cinematographer and VFX Supervisor and artist and I make no money with any other method. You also assumed that my DJI Phantom Pro was my only bird, but you are not counting my Inspire 4k, my just received Inspire Pro (augmented), my S1000 that I have had forever which carries my Red and my GH4, not to mention all the other birds I own.

And for the person that was calling me out on the cards, I was using P2 cards in Panasonic HVX cams when you were probably watching Full House.

As for whether or not you believe me, other than typing what I just typed, I could not give less of a ****.

Let me break down this thread.

Hey guys, here is an awesome card for cheap (with an apparently too long post which I actually timed myself and it took whatever I said, I actually timed it and it was under 2 mins for an adult to read).

So after trying to be nice and letting you guys have a little jabbing in good fun, I kindly said, well I guess this place is not for me and BAM, you guys just keep going. What kind of people am I dealing with here because with some exception, you are all very strange to me.

One last thing...

:)

latest
Jeeez, no need to be rude.

Christ on a bike - the OP seems to have some sort of narcissistic disorder.

He is right and everyone else is wrong. We should all be ever-so-grateful to have him here.

Because I actually do believe in self introspection, I went back to word one (including my long post) and read the thread, word for word, post for post, and it wasn't until the 2nd page that I decided to start snapping back. I get the ribbing, no problem there but some of you guys (actually only two) got nasty for no reason and eventuallyI responded. If I re-read it and thought I was being a jerk, I would apologize right now but I was not showing a lack of humility and believe me, as a God fearing man, I believe in humility. The irony is that the level of some of the people here rises to hubris, not just pride.

I am proud and my defense mechanism to strike back at the people that were attacking me unsolicited was a cheesy version of letting them know what I do. I am proud of what I do. I worked hard to get here and while I agree it is a cheese move, I was unprovoked and with some exception, if you go back to page 1 and actually read what happened, you might say "hey, they really did push that dude". But you won't, you'll just make a joke about how long it was to read for 2 mins, again.

Let's remember, I asked for noting here. I just told you that I did some research on cards, let you know what it was and then waxed philosophy/science about the art of film thought solid state media. It was a stupid thing to do when you don't know your audience, obviously.

Thanks for the info, I've got a flaky one sitting in front of me now. And WELCOME to the forum, stick around it can be amusing to watch those that think they are above and beyond reproach.

You have personally saved my faith in humanity!!!! I am not 20 so I felt like maybe this is my future. Like in 35 years, they will just come to my house and kill me dead. ;) Moving to Canada.
e3d15b7647d55440fb56716ca5890150_480p_posters90.jpg

why is the title called "watch a friendly piece of advice chase off a new member?" No one has been chased off you are still here posting which is fine but its only a bit of banter if you dont like it then you can willingly leave but you havent been chased off...a little over dramatic isnt it!!

Just as i expected.....

This is a some sort of game ro you. You come in, drop the bait in your giant post (which i read and thought fair enough, a lot of words there to say not a lot but i will assume its well intentioned), you waited for a few bites and came in for the wind up.

If you genuinely wanted to share and contribute here you would stick around.

You lost me with your assumption that you trumpted all with your superior knowledge. Great if you do. That attitude tends to provoke and create conflict though.

Prove your well intentioned and you might find people will be appreciative of the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

Whatever it might be.

First person to my ignore list, I can only imagine future posts will not be much better than this thread. But OP has repeatedly said they were not coming back, so who knows ...

Here's what I struggle with. As a "professional cinematographer" that makes their living at this, and as some who tried to come across as authoritative, you stated a number of things that simply are wrong or don't make sense.

1. The P3 pro only puts out a max bitrate of 60 Mb/s. Which is 7.5 MB/s, which is why they only require a Class 10 or UH-1 rating, either of which gets you 10 MB/s. No where does DJI state that UH-3 is required.

2. Picture quality vs card speed. So if your card is not fast enough, you are going to get one of a couple of behaviors depending on the camera. Dropped frames, in which your playback is jerky or your file is corrupt. Or it will just stop recording. But digital is, as they say, digital, and overall picture quality is not going to change because you have a higher quality card. Now you may get corruption from a cheap card, but your color levels, or saturation, or focus or depth of field or anything subjective is not going to change because of the card. Your explanation would seem to be making the argument that picture quality will be better with a UH-3 card vs a UH-1 card. As long as neither is malfunctioning, and the bitrate of the camera is under the stated rate capability of the card, the images will be identical. That's the nature of digital recording, period.

3. Once you tried to compare digital storage to film, I knew you were full of it. Film emulsions vary, and the type of film used has a huge impact on the finished product. A memory card stores zeros and ones, in a very specific order to be interpreted by playback software. Again, as long as it's not broken, the same footage shot and stored to a UH-1 card will be identical to what is stored on a UH-3 card, assuming the camera is outputting at less than 10 MB/s. Since 4K on the P3P is at 7.5 MB/s, they will be pixel for pixel identical.

After that I kinda tuned you out, cause I was not impressed. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

First person to my ignore list, I can only imagine future posts will not be much better than this thread. But OP has repeatedly said they were not coming back, so who knows ...
he will be back I guarantee you,its like with my 6 year old daughter, if i tell her "dont do that" she responds "i wont dad", 2 minutes later, she bloody does!!

2. Picture quality vs card speed. So if your card is not fast enough, you are going to get one of a couple of behaviors depending on the camera. Dropped frames, in which your playback is jerky or your file is corrupt. Or it will just stop recording. But digital is, as they say, digital, and overall picture quality is not going to change because you have a higher quality card. Now you may get corruption from a cheap card, but your color levels, or saturation, or focus or depth of field or anything subjective is not going to change because of the card. Your explanation would seem to be making the argument that picture quality will be better with a UH-3 card vs a UH-1 card. As long as neither is malfunctioning, and the bitrate of the camera is under the stated rate capability of the card, the images will be identical. That's the nature of digital recording, period.
Yeah, it's like when those people buy the 'gold' HDMI cables with the same old thoughts of analog RCA cables. Digital is digital, you either have the 1's and 0's or your don't.

Reactions: mmee1992
Personally I hope he stays.....

If he is really up to Lvl 6 he should be be a wealth of knowledge on;

• Directing for film & TV
  • Working with Actors
  • Production Design
  • Advanced Storyboarding
  • Communications
  • Film and Digital Video Production
  • Studio & Location Sound Production & Recording
  • Advanced Editing Techniques
  • Cinematography
  • Drama Camera Technique
  • Documentary Camera Technique
  • Lighting for film, TV & Video
  • Screenplay Writing
  • Writing for TV
  • Concept Pitching
  • Production Management
  • Assistant Directing
  • Scheduling
  • Event management
  • Continuity/script supervision Video Production
  • Documentary Produc

Reactions: Mikebike
why is the title called "watch a friendly piece of advice chase off a new member?" No one has been chased off you are still here posting which is fine but its only a bit of banter if you dont like it then you can willingly leave but you havent been chased off...a little over dramatic isnt it!!
That someone on this thread is calling me overly dramatic just has to be the last thing said.

LOL. Especially you.

Got to get back to work. This thread has been a distraction all day and not for any good reason.

Personally I hope he stays.....

If he is really up to Lvl 6 he should be be a wealth of knowledge on;

• Directing for film & TV (Have many IMDB creds for both but most VFX)
  • Working with Actors (Work with them every day. I work at CBS Redford on a stage to be unnamed and our bungalow (go ahead and make your jokes) is also on Redford.
  • Production Design (I am not a production designer but what would you like to know)
  • Advanced Storyboarding (previz is something we make a lot of money on and we also storyboard and use animatics for most of our stuff so yeah, very advances storyboarding).
  • Communications (clearly I cannot)
  • Film and Digital Video Production (I've actually cut with a Kem before. Changed mags of film and was a part of the industry during the digital revolution. There was a time while I was working where you would be called crazy for suggesting that there would be all digital films and not just special things like indies.
  • Studio & Location Sound Production & Recording (yes, every day)
  • Advanced Editing Techniques (yeah, sure. Editing is not really about techniques, its either you know how to tell a story interestingly or you don't, perfect example is Momento. If you watch that movie linearly, its the most boring movie ever. Pulp Fiction, you can't learn that really though. Editors I find (from a story telling aspect) either have it or not. The technical skills are miniscul and actually the AE has more of them.
  • Cinematography - yup
  • Drama Camera Technique - Ironically I am working on a multi-cam show at the moment but yeah, most of the stuff we do is set up with single, drama style techniques.
  • Documentary Camera Technique - Not really a documentarian. Have worked on a few for tilting and some other ****.
  • Lighting for film, TV & Video - Absolutely
  • Screenplay Writing - Have had a movie made with my name on the script that I can guarantee has been seen by a large percentage of the people on this forum over 20.
  • Writing for TV - yes i do.
  • Concept Pitching - All the time
  • Production Management - And ownership
  • Assistant Directing - Nope. That's a job I never wanted and is for the pencil pushers
  • Scheduling - i guess
  • Event management - I am also an event production third party producer and concert promoter so more than you could possibly imagine.
  • Continuity/script supervision Video Production - part of screenplays
  • Documentary Produc - Yawn

That someone on this thread is calling me overly dramatic just has to be the last thing said.

LOL. Especially you.

Got to get back to work. This thread has been a distraction all day and not for any good reason.
Dude grow up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31