Watch a friendly piece of advice chase off a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem like a very interesting person who is hugely passionate about this media don't be put off by some people on here having a joke me included)I'm looking at getting a new 32gb card is there one you would recommend I would look in your previous posts for a possible answer but I haven't got a spare hour 2 read them...only joking sorry should stop now,but seriously your expertise in this field would be appreciated.
You will find the answer, with a link in the OP. ;)

WARNING ON THE LINK BELOW: Do not get the 64 because its not UHS-3, but 1 making the max speed internally bad. There are three speeds. Read, write and how fast it moves in the unit. That how it grades out. This is a class 10, UHS-3 32gb at a VERY good price and now I have a few days of using it and it's just perfect. Read my post to find out why there are 14% 1 star reviews. I cover it in my post and it's only not important if it's not important to you.

EDIT: Oh fine! The 32gb was $10.99 at Amazon: Amazon.com: PNY U3 High Performance 32GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 60MB/sec Flash Memory Card (P-SDU32GU360G-GE): Computers & Accessories

You will find the answer, with a link in the OP. ;)

WARNING ON THE LINK BELOW: Do not get the 64 because its not UHS-3, but 1 making the max speed internally bad. There are three speeds. Read, write and how fast it moves in the unit. That how it grades out. This is a class 10, UHS-3 32gb at a VERY good price and now I have a few days of using it and it's just perfect. Read my post to find out why there are 14% 1 star reviews. I cover it in my post and it's only not important if it's not important to you.

EDIT: Oh fine! The 32gb was $10.99 at Amazon: Amazon.com: PNY U3 High Performance 32GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 60MB/sec Flash Memory Card (P-SDU32GU360G-GE): Computers & Accessories
Ok cheers and if I buy this and it doesn't improve my transfer speed I will be back on here wirh a massive rant post so be aware!!

Reactions: Jussaguy
So far on this forum we have done nothing but discuss the length of my OP. I am not old but I am not young either. I will say, WOW on how little you Mellinials like
Ok cheers and if I buy this and it doesn't improve my transfer speed I will be back on here wirh a massive rant post so be aware!!
HOLD ON HOLD ON.

I refuse to be a cause of a rant. ;)

First, there are factors at hand when you discuss transfer speeds, and getting max of them.

Obviously we bottleneck at the fastest speed available to us but we also bottleneck at the fastest speed available to transfer them from or to. Do you have a USB 3 card reader, and a direct connection to your USB 3 bandwidth with which to copy from.

There are really 2 reasons we need speed with a MicroHD card in our cameras. ONE, and BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT is to write fast enough to the card while recording at HD and UHD resolutions and SPEEDS 60mbs etc. People never think of that and you WILL absolutely get worst images with some SSD cards than you will with others. The comparisons to film are unfortunately for the people that write TLDR because they don't want to literally spend under 3 minutes reading something important. So speed is important mostly for the image and how fast it is in the camera.

Then of course, when you are on the ground and you want to transfer the recorded stuff to your hard drive (at that point the picture isn't getting any worse or better until you post it somehow either by color correcting, encoding, etc) but to transfer it will be limited by its speed, the same as recording but if you try to copy it using a crappy card reader and put it in your keyboard, YOU WILL get bad transfer speeds regardless of the card.

You need a card reader that will go directly into your fastest USB bus (probably USB 3), or even USB 2 because I don't think that the bottleneck will be at the USB 2 level but rather at the 80-90 or whatever the card is.

So IF YOU ARE SET up right, I guarantee you can transfer the full contents of this 32 gig card in just a couple minutes because I've done it several times. I usually dump it to my lappie, format and send it back up.

So that is all, if you buy it and want to rant if it does't work, I want to make sure you are set up to get the speeds it can provide before the rant. ;)

Reactions: Tim in Florida
So far on this forum we have done nothing but discuss the length of my OP. I am not old but I am not young either. I will say, WOW on how little you Mellinials like

HOLD ON HOLD ON.

I refuse to be a cause of a rant. ;)

First, there are factors at hand when you discuss transfer speeds, and getting max of them.

Obviously we bottleneck at the fastest speed available to us but we also bottleneck at the fastest speed available to transfer them from or to. Do you have a USB 3 card reader, and a direct connection to your USB 3 bandwidth with which to copy from.

There are really 2 reasons we need speed with a MicroHD card in our cameras. ONE, and BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT is to write fast enough to the card while recording at HD and UHD resolutions and SPEEDS 60mbs etc. People never think of that and you WILL absolutely get worst images with some SSD cards than you will with others. The comparisons to film are unfortunately for the people that write TLDR because they don't want to literally spend under 3 minutes reading something important. So speed is important mostly for the image and how fast it is in the camera.

Then of course, when you are on the ground and you want to transfer the recorded stuff to your hard drive (at that point the picture isn't getting any worse or better until you post it somehow either by color correcting, encoding, etc) but to transfer it will be limited by its speed, the same as recording but if you try to copy it using a crappy card reader and put it in your keyboard, YOU WILL get bad transfer speeds regardless of the card.

You need a card reader that will go directly into your fastest USB bus (probably USB 3), or even USB 2 because I don't think that the bottleneck will be at the USB 2 level but rather at the 80-90 or whatever the card is.

So IF YOU ARE SET up right, I guarantee you can transfer the full contents of this 32 gig card in just a couple minutes because I've done it several times. I usually dump it to my lappie, format and send it back up.

So that is all, if you buy it and want to rant if it does't work, I want to make sure you are set up to get the speeds it can provide before the rant. ;)
Actually on second thoughts maybe this forum isn't for u!!:eek:

Just pass over it if it's too much for you. For those of us that don't have ADHD, it ok and I appreciate hearing from a professional that wants to share their knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy
I guess this is not the place for me.

I though it was for the open and desired discussion about things actually important to Phantom pilots. I have a fantastic group in RC Groups for my Inspire on it.

Let's understand something. I would consider myself an asset to this community here. I own a business that works as a vendor for all the major TV distribution lines including cable and network TV. We do major film work on the biggest films all over the world.

I am a VFX artist/Supervisor and cinematographer and I all of a sudden I realized that with this camera (vs my other SSD cams) I never really thought of the medium as much as I did this one because this time of cam leaves you to decide and it also made me think so I thought I would share it with an interested group that would have thought similarly. "Oh yeah, my recording medium is important because my art is important to me and it's not just about getting the $10 Samsung EVO at Radio Shack".

Was wrong.

Noted.

I guess I won't post my images with the difference of images on various speeds of cards. Lol. Seriously, was going to do that.
Hey man. Hang around! I read your entire post and appreciated the info after I woke up. (Just kidding.) I think most folks were just teasing you a bit. I really did appreciate the information.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Actually on second thoughts maybe this forum isn't for u!!:eek:
Hahaha. I can't help myself. If you're gonna rant if it doesn't improve your speed, I am going to make sure you are set up to take full advantage of the cards speed. 3 out of 5 people probably are not. Common sense is not so common and all.

Well hello UAV flying enthusiast. Thanks for reading this far.

I was at FRY's which is a FANTASTIC electronics store here in Burbank yesterday, or the day before with my little daughter.

I was there because I accidentally broke my 16 or 32gb Lexar 633 that they sent with it. First off, I didn't know **** about microusb card but THEY (DJI) have gone through lots of changes and we have the best of the best. The Lexar 633 reads and writes at very fast speeds. I couldn't even get an exact 633 match at Fry's and they are HUGE, especially in the component department.

Here is what I did. I have a car stereo that has a very expensive after market double din dash stereo from when I was a younger guy. When I changed out the car battery, the NAV/Dash asked me for a password that I didn't know, I've never had or ever set and when I called Pioneer to find out what to do of course it was to send it in to them and pay $80 minimum (depending). He actually told me "depending" like he could find a more difficult way of resetting my password. So we are done with Pioneer.

So I decided to try and take care of it myself. I went online and sure enough there is a way to hack it so you can add new maps, add new voices, pictures of your kid at the intro, etc. All I wanted was my PW. I don't condone stealing. If you stole my stereo and were doing this than EFF YOU, but I payed plenty for it. So I was using my Lexar 16 or 32 that they sent me because I needed to use that Pioneer firmware and I'm not exactly swimming in microUSBs so I used the one from my Phantom. I have to use a Leatherman set of pliers to get the card in and out of my dash because of how its sitting and one time I just snapped it in half like it was a piece of paper.

So that is the very long winded version of what I did with my brand new Phantom's brand new microUSB card. Also, just for the record, I had up until this point been using the cheap orange card reader (if you used Syma products before you know what I'm talking about) to use my microUSB stuff from both Syma and DJI and would insert it through my keyboard.

So I went to Fry's and I saw this but when I went to Amazon I could not believe how cheap, in particular the 32gb version is, especially at the speeds it reads at. EDIT: Don't get the 64gb version of this one because it is UHS-1, not UHS-3 which is much faster. Also, it's not as good a deal. I still don't know what the difference is exactly between the 1 and the 3 but the 3 is definitely rated higher and faster but for some ODD reason, is usually cheaper. Difference between Speed Class, UHS Speed Class, and Speed Ratings (performance) for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (This one I am offering up actually says 'good for drones' on its little list of things its good for including 'action cameras' so I would think definitely UHS-3. I believe it has to do with how things move within the essentially little SSD drives. There is three speeds variances happening while we record and then view. Read/Write and then whatever movement happens within a card. The reason there is a such a large space of can't use space in a microusb in a camera or a drone is because SSD drives write over space by first removing the space in front of it so writing over things is not even a possibility while using your Phantom and why formatting is so important.

The 32gb was $10.99 at Amazon: Amazon.com: PNY U3 High Performance 32GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 60MB/sec Flash Memory Card (P-SDU32GU360G-GE): Computers & Accessories

It has a solid 4 stars but not the 4.5 or 5 that you so wish to see when buying something new from Amazon. I usually go straight to the 1 star reviews either way. If there are a lot of them (and they made up 14% of the 1* population so they were out there, there is usually a reason). It would appear there was a bad slew of 64 and 128gig cards that went bad usually within the first couple weeks or later but as a disk that personally, I usually dump straight away and never carry too long, so that didn't concern me, plus it was the 32 version, plus for $11 who cares as the most I stand to lose is a days work. I AM VERY VERY picky about the storage devices I use and redundancy vs. performance issues and usually just spend the money to have both redundancy and performance but unless you're uploading the images just minutes after you record them, the best redundancy you'll get is to dump the cards at the end of a shooting day, or on location and then offsite them to DropBox or iCloud or whatever you use as a repository, if anything. In my mind, that type of problem was welcomed as opposed to a lot of of "usually never actually reached 20x in speed". Quite the opposite, all the speed results were raging. I love speed. I am a bit of a benchmarker and will go for speed just for sport. This very computer according to a certain bench mark tool was (by its users anyways) the fastest iteration of any iMac in the entire world! HA. :) I say that jokingly and know it's really BS and luck but it's the truth and out of millions (that weren't Hackintoshes). I digress,

I Couldn't believe it. So I had Fry's match the price, got it and figured I'd just order the 64 as a Lexar 633 off of Amazon. Still havent searched but they didn't have Lexar at all at Fry's or any other x633 unit. (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN BECAUSE there is x533 and I would have to imagine that's not as fast. How many ways is there to measure the speed of something so small. I call it the anti-John-Homes problem.

So this one claims up to 90x on both read and write and I didn't believe it. Oh by the way, in order to take care of the car issue, I spent $3.99 on an 8 gig stick with a card reader which makes it a size that will fit in my SDXC or whatever is on the back of my iMac (sent right to the USB 3 bus and I'm blazing and now only bottlenecked by the speed of the card for reading to computer) and now I am FLYING when it comes to getting the vids and images off the card and I would assume I am recording as well. I will do some side by side comparisons later to see if it's recording as well.

Let's face it. The microUSB card in our Phantoms is our film. It's our tape. It's our device for capturing our creative work and if the utmost care isn't taken in getting the right one that there is no use in lighting, practicing, blocking or any of the other million things we do to get the shot right. So here is hoping that this cheap $10.99 32gig slot can get me take and take and take of awesome footage because according to the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, IT'S FLYING.

Why am I making such a long thread about a microUSB slot and cartridge because while it might seem like second nature to YOU or even YOU, it doesn't to YOU and YOU should realize as I didn't that there are measuring forks that we videographers (man I hate that word) must never forget and one is that our medium for recording is as important as anything we do to our Phantom's to make them shoot good. Lens, practice dramatic moves, etc. I mean I never really thought about it's importance until I was buying it. I didn't read up about the LEXAR 633x 32 or whatever, yet I knew who to change out the gimbal should I need to.

WE MUST HAVE GOOD USB RECORDING and it must be a LEVEL 10, USB-3 (I believe this is true and when I say must I actually mean I am pretty sure it's the best and MAYBE the highest level and therefore use it. It's certainly possibly you could use Level 3 and UHS-1 but don't shoot for me please).

So far, testing and digging and will show results.

Please anyone that has a better option for disks, speak up.

Also batteries. I'm in the market for a triple battery purchase and charger (can somebody offer a good buy) and I'm also in the market for a backpack style case. I am thinking of the DJI hardcase unless someone has a better offer.

Thanks guys! Also, what is your favorite lens???

KEEP FLYING. KEEP FLYING SAFE. ENJOY LIFE.

~A
If you are looking for a case. I have an extra one of these. Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Only used it a few times, then upgraded my P3A to a P3P through DJI under a bundle purchase for the bird and carry case. I find myself with 1 bird and 2 backpacks. $50 bucks plus shipping from NJ if you wish. The only modification I made was to cut out a slot at the bottom to fit a gimbal guard.

If you are looking for a case. I have an extra one of these. Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Only used it a few times, then upgraded my P3A to a P3P through DJI under a bundle purchase for the bird and carry case. I find myself with 1 bird and 2 backpacks. $50 bucks plus shipping from NJ if you wish. The only modification I made was to cut out a slot at the bottom to fit a gimbal guard.
Interesting. Is it the same one that DJI uses but with a different logo or something and then why would DJI not put their own logo on something coming from the factory?

If it's the same hardshell case that they normally have, yeah, thanks. I think I would buy that. Does it have a spot for an iPad mini 3?

I wish people would stop quoting the OP's entire posts.. My thumbs wearing out!

Reactions: kandelin16
I wish people would stop quoting the OP's entire posts.. My thumbs wearing out!
Hull!

That site by the last poster! Thanks for that. Holy crap there are some cheap things there. I know IP law in Asian countries can be lax, are these legit?

Thanks!!!

Interesting. Is it the same one that DJI uses but with a different logo or something and then why would DJI not put their own logo on something coming from the factory?

If it's the same hardshell case that they normally have, yeah, thanks. I think I would buy that. Does it have a spot for an iPad mini 3?
Its not identical. The non-DJI case uses a different foam insert but I have both and frankly, cant see how 1 would protect the bird any better than the other. Yes, an iPad mini fits in one of the compartments

If you stick the with minimum specs for a card outlined by DJI you'll be fine.

A pro tip for OP, you need to give enough detail to get your question answered, but a long winded post will get you ignored with the TL;DR. Stay on direct point and you'll be fine, people have only limit time to help others and a 5 minute reading time post will get ignored or skimmed over by many.

If you stick the with minimum specs for a card outlined by DJI you'll be fine.

A pro tip for OP, you need to give enough detail to get your question answered, but a long winded post will get you ignored with the TL;DR. Stay on direct point and you'll be fine, people have only limit time to help others and a 5 minute reading time post will get ignored or skimmed over by many.
Appreciate the concern but I am a pro and wasn't looking for an answer. Was looking to give them.

The DJI guidelines are class 10 UHS-3. If you want to get anything that uses that, be my guest.

I am personally doing lots of medium tests and will A/B them because the quality of my images keeps food on my table.

I reiterate back to you, read before you type as I wasn't asking any questions really but at the end "anyone have a backpack".

I consult aith DJI, with Yuneec, build my own choppers and have been a VFX artist and cinematographer for over 15 years but thanks for letting me know how to get my non question answered.

Sorry but that's the last one I can handle and be gracious.

This is getting annoying. I definitely will stop posting and if people don't want to read something. Don't READ THE **** thing.

But thank you.

Whenever people talk about SD cards, they almost always want to discuss the "best" and biggest because more is always better .. right?

Here's another point of view.
Besides the files not writing any faster to a more expensive card because the bottleneck is the Phantom rather than the SD card, there's a good reason not to pay for big 32GB and 64GB cards.
It takes about 0.5GB to store a minute of 4K video so a cheap 16GB card will hold about 30 mins of 4K video or 3000 photos.
If you have valuable footage or images, why would you want to leave them on the SD card and send them out again and again, risking them each flight?
Wouldn't it make sense to use a number of cheaper 16GB cards and swap them each flight so that in the even of losing your Phantom you only risk losing just the images from that flight and not the whole day's (weeks?) effort?

What DJI actually recommends for the P3 Pro is:
Supported SD Card TypesMicro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required
I misspoke. It's UHS-I U3.

Either way, I never said that more or expensive or any of that other bit you wrote was true.

Where did that even come from?

And the "big" card that I linked in the OP was 32 gig and $10.99 and I had my own anecdotal info at that particular card.

I will NEVER make an unsolicited offer of any kind on this forum ever again, don't worry. Congrats, you guys successfully shut up a working professional that was psyched about an all phantom forum.

I think this will be my last post.

Maybe I'll finish up a couple convos but back to RC groups. Late.

Appreciate the concern but I am a pro and wasn't looking for an answer. Was looking to give them.

The DJI guidelines are class 10 UHS-3. If you want to get anything that uses that, be my guest.

I am personally doing lots of medium tests and will A/B them because the quality of my images keeps food on my table.

I reiterate back to you, read before you type as I wasn't asking any questions really but at the end "anyone have a backpack".

I consult aith DJI, with Yuneec, build my own choppers and have been a VFX artist and cinematographer for over 15 years but thanks for letting me know how to get my non question answered.

Sorry but that's the last one I can handle and be gracious.

This is getting annoying. I definitely will stop posting and if people don't want to read something. Don't READ THE **** thing.

But thank you.
Take a chill pill, you cannot make the determination isn't not a question thread until you've read it all. As for reading skills the DJI guidelines are Class 10 U1, not U3 so maybe some food for thought on reading before typing. Hopefully your work is more on point, good luck with your flights.

Take a chill pill, you cannot make the determination isn't not a question thread until you've read it all. As for reading skills the DJI guidelines are Class 10 U1, not U3 so maybe some food for thought on reading before typing. Hopefully your work is more on point, good luck with your flights.
For the second time, I am chill. And also for at least the second or third time I mis typed but it's 10 UHS-I U3.

And by the way, go ahead and listen to DJI all you like. I will continue to be the ones they consult and believe me, I won't be reporting any info here.

If you don't want to read, don't read but everyone just continue to be shitty at what you do or hobby.

Just kidding, sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav