Washington DC No Fly Zones and Phantom 3

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Washington, DC NFZ (15 NM from DCA) will be enforced in the Phantom 3? If so, the majority of suburban Maryland and suburban Virginia will be impacted.

Thanks.

Why do you think it would be different?

Makes no sense to exclude the P3.

the majority of suburban Maryland and suburban Virginia will be impacted
True. But, that is a very small number of Phantom owners in the grand scheme of things.

I was told by a high volume reseller that the Inspire doesn't enforce the NFZ.

Yes, an upcoming update is adding NFZ support to the Inspire 1.
I'd say expect this for all consumer-level drones from DJI.

I'm curious if that's in the FCs themselves, or just the individual unit firmware (in other words, if you were flying an S-series where you buy your own FC, would they be subject to the restrictions).
Anyway, o/t but related: I do think 15mi is overly oppressive, but I also think it's best to not try to circumvent it, lest the overreach go further.

Reactions: bobomet
Yes, an upcoming update is adding NFZ support to the Inspire 1.
I'd say expect this for all consumer-level drones from DJI.

I'm curious if that's in the FCs themselves, or just the individual unit firmware (in other words, if you were flying an S-series where you buy your own FC, would they be subject to the restrictions).
Anyway, o/t but related: I do think 15mi is overly oppressive, but I also think it's best to not try to circumvent it, lest the overreach go further.
Firmware, which is how they're able to keep adding NFZs over time.

Lots of us don't like the SFRA/FRZ, but it's not going anywhere. Also note that it's legitimately a crime with jail time to fly anything in the 12-15mi FRZ without permission. And it wouldn't have to be an FAA inspector finding you flying to enforce it.

Firmware, which is how they're able to keep adding NFZs over time.
Firmware updates are like catch 22. You're screwed if you don't and screwed if you do. More NFZ's will be added. They've already banned US National Parks and the Kentucky Derby announced a ban on them--why??

Firmware updates are like catch 22. You're screwed if you don't and screwed if you do. More NFZ's will be added. They've already banned US National Parks and the Kentucky Derby announced a ban on them--why??
Rule of thumb with this type of crap, pick a stable firmware and don't update until something is added that outweighs the stuff you don't like. I have no idea how the pilot app handles fw updates... If they're side loaded when the app starts, then there will be massive demand for 3rd party apps. For that matter, something like forced fw updates might convince me to break out the coding skills. We'll see..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.