Washington DC no fly zone extended

Reaction score
Just saw this on slash dot. (Hoping url tag works)
http://m.slashdot.org/story/304607

FAA is extending no fly zone around Washington DC from 15 miles to 30 miles....must be scared of Amazon drones entering the space since they can fly 15 miles where a Phantom can only fly for a couple miles.

Dave

Slashdot

FAA is extending no fly zone around Washington DC from 15 miles to 30 miles....must be scared of Amazon drones entering the space since they can fly 15 miles where a Phantom can only fly for a couple miles.

Dave
I believe that happened last summer.

Slashdot

Dave
Crap. Too much paranoia.

Pretty soon it will be 30 miles around every airport or grass landing field, sports stadium or public event.... and all state, county and federal parks (most you cannot fly already) leaving very little flying space available.

I believe the FAA is going to highly regulate and tax the commercial uses of "drones" and squash everyone else...

Pretty soon it will be 30 miles around every airport or grass landing field, sports stadium or public event.... and all state, county and federal parks (most you cannot fly already) leaving very little flying space available.

I believe the FAA is going to highly regulate and tax the commercial uses of "drones" and squash everyone else...
Yes .. it's all over. There's not going to be any more flying fun.
May as well give up now etc etc.

I've heard that chorus at least a thousand times now and it worn thin.
Every time I hear it I'm reminded of a classic Australian bush poem that sums up that perpetually gloomy sentiment pretty well.
Said Hanrahan - John O'Brien

Reactions: Jeff48920

Every time I hear it I'm reminded of a classic Australian bush poem that sums up that perpetually gloomy sentiment pretty well.

Um, It's worn thin? What exactly do you mean by that?
They have now completely banned a hobby that I have enjoyed for more than 40 years. I live just over 20 miles from Washington and ALL RC FLYING is now a crime here. Not just drones, but rc planes, helicopters, every single thing. All the flying clubs are shutdown here.

Oh my god it worn thin on you. OMG.

Um, It's worn thin? What exactly do you mean by that?.
IF the DC thing is true (and there's still some doubt it is), that's definitely bad for anyone living in the 2800 square miles covered by that 60 mile diameter circle.
BUT there have been hundreds of posts on forums ever since ready to fly drones came out, predicting the inevitable demise of multirotor flying because of over-regulation.
And they are all wrong. It hasn't happened and it's not going to happen.
When someone from California complains that Pretty soon it will be 30 miles around every airport or grass landing field, sports stadium or public event.... he's wrong too.
The FAA has an odd idea about what they should do with DC but there's no sign of any blanket NFZs over any other city or 30 mile buffers around other airports.

Talk about "wearing thin". Keep on with your denial.

As far as DC, yes its real. Ive personally tried it in multiple places, with different apps, and different fw versions. I have found a few interesting things by doing this.

No, it won't be "all over" but
By the same token, convincing yourself that all this is not going to have any significant negative impact on the hobby reminds me of the story of Polly Anna....pejoratively speaking.

IF the DC thing is true (and there's still some doubt it is), that's definitely bad for anyone living in the 2800 square miles covered by that 60 mile diameter circle.
BUT there have been hundreds of posts on forums ever since ready to fly drones came out, predicting the inevitable demise of multirotor flying because of over-regulation.
And they are all wrong. It hasn't happened and it's not going to happen.
When someone from California complains that Pretty soon it will be 30 miles around every airport or grass landing field, sports stadium or public event.... he's wrong too.
The FAA has an odd idea about what they should do with DC but there's no sign of any blanket NFZs over any other city or 30 mile buffers around other airports.

The TFR around DC has in fact expanded from 15 to 30 miles radius. Here's a screenshot of the current Airmap.io overlay. Red is the absolute no-fly zone. Airmap is what is being implemented in the P3:

image.png

What's wearing thin for me are some people's claims that the concerns about these restrictions are "overblown".

Reactions: Apilot101
Why do you call the red zone "an absolute no-fly zone?" Airmap doesn't call it that, so why do you?

If the red zone is an absolute no fly zone, what is the blue zone?

AirMap.io

Re the DC region, my understanding is, the SFRA (30 mile radius), as it applies to UAVs, is a flight restricted area. The FRZ (15 mile radius) is an even more flight restricted area. UAVs may not operate in either of these areas without "specific authorization" per the AC document released in September. That is old news. But it is current. If it wasn't current, the FAA would have released another AC document updating the September document.

Who gave Airmap the authority to tell me these areas are completely shut down to drones? Airmap is simply trying to make sense out of the emerging and evolving dysfunction just like the rest of us.

You may be completely right. Maybe eventually the 30 mile radius will be completely shut down to drones with no exceptions. But right now, per the language released by the FAA, we may fly in the SFRA provided we have specific authorization.

But yeah, I agree with you, I'm not happy with what I've been seeing from the FAA the last few weeks.

Reactions: Apilot101
Why do you call the red zone "an absolute no-fly zone?" Airmap doesn't call it that, so why do you?
Because DJI has stated that you will not be able to take off in the red restricted zones even with one of their electronic permission tickets. Hence- "Absolute no-fly zone". Airmap is calling it a TFR.

As you say, it's much more nuanced in real life but this is DJI and Airmap.io (a brand owned by No-Fly Zones, Incorporated). A lot of this makes no sense to people like you who understand their area much better than DJI or Airmap. In my old App on my iPad, it still shows 15 mile radius.

No way I'm updating that or any firmware. Where I fly there's an airport 3 miles away that gets about 2 flights a week. There's no one on the airport to answer your calls, so I would basically have to lie to get the release from DJI to fly from my deck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj