Was this user error?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Unfortunately, I crashed my Phantom 3 Advanced. I've only flown it a handful of times. Well, it wasn't really me, but my friend. I was really not thinking and kindof out of it for some reason, and I let him fly it before me and before I told him a few basic things. Thankfully, I am very lucky that the damage wasn't significant at all. One of the arms of the shell I need to fix by taking out a screw and putting it back in, but that's really it. I also need to tighten that stupid screw on the yaw arm of the gimbal. I flew it four days ago and it flew pretty well. There was a part during that flight where it rolled hard to the left, but it may have been a gust of wind or something hitting it. It was fine after that.

I don't know what went wrong. It went completely out of control. I know I was a stupid drone operator today. I admit: I didn't check the MOD values before I took off. I checked the weather, the KP Index, the number of Sats locked, and everything possible on the aircraft. That doesn't excuse the fact I let my friend fly it before me.

Looking at the footage, could it have been him flying it right over the controller? I think he just got carried away. Once I saw it freaking out, I told him to let go and not touch anything on the controller. It kept going, and a couple seconds later the video cut out. It finally crashed into the grass. The cable from the VPS sensor area to the gimbal came unplugged, so I reconnected that. Could part of the problem be not flying with the anti-drop pins? Long story, but I had to order the rubber anti-vibration things, and while researching about that, I found some people like to use zip-ties instead of the pins. So, I tried that, and it seems fine! I did change them since my last flight, however, by making them rectangles with 90 degree angles rather than curved. I started the Phantom up after that and got it a few feet in the air, which went well, but I didn't want to do much more before figuring out what went wrong.

I did just update the DJI App for Android to version 2.8.1 this morning. I don't know why I didn't wait for an assessment from other users, but I was just excited to go fly the drone that afternoon.

Can anybody help me out here by telling me what happened? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

DJI App:

Footage:

Here's the data from PhantomHelp's Log Viewer: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Here's the .DAT file: FLY236.DAT

Also attached is the flight record.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-05-30_[14-24-31].txt
    119.1 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
This wasn't due to the compass, the app, wind, K-index or any of the other things you mentioned.
The flight record shows multiple Speed Error warnings indicating a problem in the propulsion system.
Upload your flight record to DJI (click the cloud icon in the app)
Contact DJI online support: DJI Support - Phantom 3 Advanced
And they should take care of you.

Your video looks shaky, probably because you had the zip ties too tight which prevented the dampers from stopping vibration.

This wasn't due to the compass, the app, wind, K-index or any of the other things you mentioned.
The flight record shows multiple Speed Error warnings indicating a problem in the propulsion system.
Upload your flight record to DJI (click the cloud icon in the app)
Contact DJI online support: DJI Support - Phantom 3 Advanced
And they should take care of you.

Your video looks shaky, probably because you had the zip ties too tight which prevented the dampers from stopping vibration.

Thanks so much! I've heard that DJI's support isn't that great, but what is the best way to contact them? Phone, email, or online chat?

Do you mean the anti-drop pins? I was using all four white rubber vibration dampeners.

Thanks so much! I've heard that DJI's support isn't that great, but what is the best way to contact them? Phone, email, or online chat?
Do you mean the anti-drop pins? I was using all four white rubber vibration dampeners.

Something made your video shaky, the dampers weren't doing their anti-vibration job.
I took your post to mean that you had replaced the anti-drop pins with zip ties.

Click the link I gave above and go to online help (after you have uploaded the flight record first)
I have found them to quite efficient.

Something made your video shaky, the dampers weren't doing their anti-vibration job.
I took your post to mean that you had replaced the anti-drop pins with zip ties.

Click the link I gave above and go to online help (after you have uploaded the flight record first)
I have found them to quite efficient.

Right, I had replaced the pins with the zip ties. This wasn't part of the problem, but rather it was the rubber dampeners? I made the zip ties rectangular, like this: Simple precaution to don't loose the camera in case...

Okay, will do! Thank you!

@BudWalker could you take a look at this if you get the chance? I'm going to contact DJI support this afternoon, but I was wondering if I could get some insight from you also.

Alright, so after contacting DJI Support both by phone and online, both said I would need to send it in for their repair team to take a look at it. I don't really want to do that if it's not absolutely necessary.

Alright, so after contacting DJI Support both by phone and online, both said I would need to send it in for their repair team to take a look at it. I don't really want to do that if it's not absolutely necessary.
If your Phantom is giving Speed Errors and crashing into the ground it sounds like something inside is fried and it is necessary.

I'm fully capable of opening it: I've done it before. I'll try that and see if I can see anything visually wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4