Was firmware v3.08 a bad descision?

Reaction score
Now that you have had firmware v3.08 installed for a little while, would you go back to v3.06 if you could?

The reason I'm asking is, I have not made the move yet, so I want to see if it is ok to add or not in your opinion.?

I want to go back to 3.06 because of gimbal levelling issue...
To scared to downgrade batteries though.

Im certain gimbal issue is from 3.08 or zen fw that got updated aswell. Its minor issue... but pissing me off seems it was perfect before.

Do you think it would be safe to get 3.2 and downgrade zen fw ? Never downgraded anything before but I assume if im using 3.6 assistant... load up 3.2 it will say im using a newer version of zen but still give me option to downgrade??

Also had my battery error msg since updating but in fairness I had 10+ full flights before I got error (and after update). And only seems to be me who got it...

RTH going heaps slower speed also concerns me... and the new RTH height thing will be good and bad. It will save some people and screw over others depending on situation.

I only had for 3 months so not an expert like you guys but i see no benefits from 3.08 for me.. I dont use gimbal lever..

On a related topic the auto update trick they did last weekend was b/s. When I spend $1500AUD I want to control what goes on... if it was so important they could of stuck it in news or on website strongly recommending people to update it. If that update caused crashes, not saying it did or will.. but if it did I doubt we'd all be getting free replacememts. Sorry for rant.. im only now discovering the sneaky tactics youve all known for ages lol.

In summary.. if you want the new features go for it.. flies fine.. just minor issues..

I haven't had any problems with 3.08, and I benefit from the additional features. By far, the biggest thing is enabling the gimbal tilt through the controller; the P2V+ is a camera platform and having tilt limited to the app was just killing me. I couldn't do any complex maneuvers and accurately control the camera at the same time.

I haven't had any of the Zen/battery issues others are reporting though. I imagine any improvements are moot if you can't fly or film at all...

If you have the new tx with the tilting weal you can safely upgrade to v3.08 and enjoy all the features it brings. However, if you have the old tx you should be carefull. In that case you still can upgrade the assistant to 3.08 but you should NOT upgrade the Zen fw on the upgrade page of the new assitant, because that fw upgrade is intended to utelize the tilter weal of the tx but will comprimise the werking of the gambel in your configuration with an old tx.

aartsf said:
However, if you have the old tx you should be carefull. In that case you still can upgrade the assistant to 3.08 but you should NOT upgrade the Zen fw on the upgrade page of the new assitant, because that fw upgrade is intended to utelize the tilter weal of the tx but will comprimise the werking of the gambel in your configuration with an old tx.

Unless you take matters into your own hands ;)

dqgfwFW.jpg

ElGuano, what exactly are you trying to show us above?

msinger said:
ElGuano, what exactly are you trying to show us above?

Sorry for the unclear picture! I modified the tx with a slider pot (it has an orange led in the pic). It has a center detent so I can select "upgraded controller" in the 3.08 firmware and tilt stop the gimbal without needing the new controller.

It's a $4 mod and adds so much functionality to the vision plus.

I bought the new TX, upgraded to 3.08 and have no regrets. Every update has worked as expected for me. I have always been fasicnated by those that find issues along the way. I guess either I'm lucky or something!! ;)

Elguano did you follow a howto or if not care to tell us howto do it please?

What issues does updating zen with old TX cause?

Im tempted to get 3.2 and try downgrade zen.. but suspect its going to end in tears... and need to ensure my issue is the expected behaviour of upgrading with old tx.

Spose I could just get over it and fly... hmm

justin00 said:

What issues does updating zen with old TX cause?

Im tempted to get 3.2 and try downgrade zen.. but suspect its going to end in tears... and need to ensure my issue is the expected behaviour of upgrading with old tx.

Spose I could just get over it and fly... hmm

I'm putting together a tutorial. I posted one last year as well (same mod as for the phantom 1) but documented this one better and figured people might be interested due to 3.08 enabling rate based tx control.

Cool thanks:)

Does any body have the link of that site that has old versions of assistant software ? gonna get 3.2 and downgrade zen... wish me luck :]

*edit* lol found 3.2 on dji website.. just need to change the url of 3.4.exe file to 3.2.exe :p

Windows:
Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.2 (download)
Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.0 (download)

Mac:
Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.2 (download)
Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.0 (download)

Bloody hell it says latest version is 1.0.0.6 which is what I have.
thought by installing 3.2 assistant it would give me that firmware.

oh well... :/

Interesting for my zen hardware id is "-1"

Only issue is sometimes gimbal is skew for a sec before fixs itsself... I think I just leave it alone :/

aartsf said:
If you have the new tx with the tilting weal you can safely upgrade to v3.08 and enjoy all the features it brings. However, if you have the old tx you should be carefull. In that case you still can upgrade the assistant to 3.08 but you should NOT upgrade the Zen fw on the upgrade page of the new assitant, because that fw upgrade is intended to utelize the tilter weal of the tx but will comprimise the werking of the gambel in your configuration with an old tx.

Hello,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have too ask...

I read a post by a member that stated the reason folks were having issues getting their new "P2V+ TX" to work properly ie: "the new TX's 7th chan wheel operation" was that they needed to "DELETE THE DJI ASSIST PROGRAM FROM THEIR PC FIRST" , "THEN RE-LOAD IT BACK ON THEIR PC" ,
and finally "RELOADING BACK ONTO THEIR P2V+
"

Here is my dumb question...OK...
Since we are now up to firmware 3.08 , does that mean I would need to delete all the other Firmware upgrades on my PC? Or asking in a different manner, if I just received my P2V+ would I need to just upload the most recent 3.08 firmware, and it would include all the previous firmware info that I would need??

Again I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question....
M

justin00 said:

Posted up the tutorial and pics here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30302

Moose said:
Here is my dumb question...OK...
Since we are now up to firmware 3.08 , does that mean I would need to delete all the other Firmware upgrades on my PC? Or asking in a different manner, if I just received my P2V+ would I need to just upload the most recent 3.08 firmware, and it would include all the previous firmware info that I would need??

Again I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question....
M

Moose, all questions are good here! If you just got a P2V+, all you should do is download the Phantom 2 Assistant for Windows or Mac from DJI.com, run it with your Phantom connected, and upgrade your firmware if it says you need to. If it doesn't prompt you to update, you don't have to do anything else.

Mopar Bob posted the method I followed. WOrk like a charm:

Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:

1. Un-install the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version with out telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.

2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. Its simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.

3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.

4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.

5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.

6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.

7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.

8.Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.

9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant. disconnect the PC from the Phantom.

10, Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, but these are the steps that worked for me. On another note (bitching time). I have developed computer software for over 35 years. One thing you never ever do, is release any changes to the software without identifying it as a new release number. Even when the software is in the various stages of testing. Yet, it appears DJI has done this in the past and continues to do so now. They ought to fire the stupid *** that is managing their software program......end of rant.

I used this and it worked perfectly. Several others have as well. It is the RC Assistant you need to dump and reload, NOT the Phantom Assistant 3.6

Oh I didn't even consider that to be an issue lol.. I was more concerned with how the gimbal isn't level all the time in non fpv mode.. sometimes is.. sometimes isnt.. and when its not it takes a few seconds to correct its self... seems like its just me and a handful of people experiencing that issue.

the tilt one was way less an issue for me than gimbal not being straight, sometimes.. anyways whatever.. I'm just gonna enjoy flying :)

msinger said:
According to this post, it looks like DJI is going to fix that issue soon:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2202

*edit* Thanks for that Elguano :)

SilentAV8R said:
Mopar Bob posted the method I followed. WOrk like a charm:

I used this and it worked perfectly. Several others have as well. It is the RC Assistant you need to dump and reload, NOT the Phantom Assistant 3.6

Yep, other than undocumented versioning, the instructions for RC Assistant have always been wrong. It explicitly states that you can only use it to calibrate A/E/R/T, but in reality it calibrates all active channels, including X1. This one's been reported to DJI a few times, but it seems they haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Justin00, 1.08 has been the only version we have been able to go back to since v3.04. Prior to that we could go to v3.00. And performance wise v3.00 was the all time best of them all. Talking 10-15mph descending, 35-40mph in phantom mode. Pure awesomeness. lol!

All you guys came up with some valid points. Good feedback, no doubt.

Ok so now check out this bad luck I had this evening.

One of the members saw this thread and asked if I could take a screen shot showing my firmware still at v3.06 for something that person was working on. I said sure no problem. Well, I have this thing about stuff being loaded on any of my devices for any reason. So to take this screen shot I setup the Assistant and then plug in my quad and power it up. As you all know already, sure enough a download download begins installing on my quad! I look real quick for a way to exit or stop it but I don't see anything. I grab the usb cable and pull it out while in it's process. It's messes up something with the compass and my only way to repair was to install v3.08 and that is what I did. I did not install the zen upgrade yet cause I don't yet have the new controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20