Warranty Repair

Reaction score
One day last week my Phantom 3 Professional failed to start up. On the screen I got "ESC Status Error" and so I contacted DJI about it.

DJI told me that it was a factory defect code and to send it back to them. DJI sent me an RMA # and a return label and off it went to California for repair.

It arrived there yesterday and I received an acknowledgment that it had been received, and later on that evening I received an email stating that it had been looked over and an invoice for $148.00 must be paid before repair could start.

Could anyone tell me why I was charged $148.00 when they told me it was a factory defect error? I'm totally confused. I also live in Canada so I didn't know whether the payment was $148.US dollars or $148. Canadian dollars so I paid $148.US dollars by PayPal. I assume they will send me back the difference if it is for $148. Canadian dollars.

Any help with this would be most appreciated. Perhaps someone from the DJI repair service department could shed some light on this for me.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Bud

No one can tell you what someone else is thinking (It's called mind reading... and it's creepy). My recommendation is that you simply reply and ask them why it would not be addressed under warranty. If you don't agree with the answer, post it here and perhaps we can offer some guidance.

Ok, thanks

Bud

No one can tell you what someone else is thinking (It's called mind reading... and it's creepy). My recommendation is that you simply reply and ask them why it would not be addressed under warranty. If you don't agree with the answer, post it here and perhaps we can offer some guidance.

I am in exactly the same situation, ESC error twice but fired up on the 3rd day, about to send it off to DJI. Still within the 1 year warranty- Was advised to send the unit in for repairs and do not attempt to fly until it has been repaired
I am just on the online Chat- and they aren't exactly helpful either. Not too sure would it be covered under warranty now even though logically it sound like it should be...

Hi Thanks for the reply Sam. Sorry to hear you too have the same problem. I'm just a little annoyed that I had to pay the invoice before they would do the work, after being told that the "ESC Status Error" was a factory defect. I'm three hours behind California in time zones so it's too early to talk to them directly about it so I'll hopefully find out more around noon today. I've only had mine about two months now.

I wish you the best of luck with yours my friend and I hope you don't have to pay anything for the repair.

Kind regards

Bud

I am in exactly the same situation, ESC error twice but fired up on the 3rd day, about to send it off to DJI. Still within the 1 year warranty- Was advised to send the unit in for repairs and do not attempt to fly until it has been repaired
I am just on the online Chat- and they aren't exactly helpful either. Not too sure would it be covered under warranty now even though logically it sound like it should be...

I've experienced a similar situation with an escape error message. DJI sent a rma and paid for the return to them. In my case they gave me an estimate for the replacement of a motor and they paid the freight back to me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Thanks for the reply Sam. Sorry to hear you too have the same problem. I'm just a little annoyed that I had to pay the invoice before they would do the work, after being told that the "ESC Status Error" was a factory defect. I'm three hours behind California in time zones so it's too early to talk to them directly about it so I'll hopefully find out more around noon today. I've only had mine about two months now.

I wish you the best of luck with yours my friend and I hope you don't have to pay anything for the repair.

Kind regards

Bud

I'd ring them and fight it. On your invoice, are they replacing the main board ?

I sent in to Dji for fix after a crash few moths ago, they wanted to charge me for a brand new main board. I called and asked why, it was working fine. They said a capacitor had come lose, needed new board. I asked them to resolder it instead, they did it and I didn't pay for a board. I think if you call, you can press them to cover for free.

Was the motor covered by warranty? Mine is only two months old and yet they charged me.

Bud

I've experienced a similar situation with an escape error message. DJI sent a rma and paid for the return to them. In my case they gave me an estimate for the replacement of a motor and they paid the freight back to me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

No. A month earlier I jan a mishap where the motor became obstructed and had gotten hot before I could shut it down. While it looked fine and flew without problems, it was probably that incident that voided a warranty replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't seen the invoice. They gave me a link to it but the link didn't work so I paid it through PayPal directly. I've asked for a copy but as I said, I'm three hours ahead of them time-wise so I'll have to wait until around 11:00 or so this morning, Ontario time.

Thanks for the reply.

Bud

I'd ring them and fight it. On your invoice, are they replacing the main board ?

I sent in to Dji for fix after a crash few moths ago, they wanted to charge me for a brand new main board. I called and asked why, it was working fine. They said a capacitor had come lose, needed new board. I asked them to resolder it instead, they did it and I didn't pay for a board. I think if you call, you can press them to cover for free.

I haven't seen the invoice. They gave me a link to it but the link didn't work so I paid it through PayPal directly. I've asked for a copy but as I said, I'm three hours ahead of them time-wise so I'll have to wait until around 11:00 or so this morning, Ontario time.

Thanks for the reply.

Bud

are you sure about the invoice? i got an email which looked like this, and the only way to pay was via the invoice PDF. how did you pay, if you didn't get the invoice? Maybe DJI changed the flow? I personally wouldn't pay for something i didn't know what was actually being fixed.

upload_2016-8-24_7-51-27.png

Once I clicked the link i put in the code and it downloaded a PDF.

upload_2016-8-24_7-54-56.png

Once you enter that code, it downloads a PDF as an invoice. The invoice looks like this. You can see they wanted $316 for a control board, but there is a discount where i argue'd against it .

upload_2016-8-24_7-53-6.png

On the second page is a paypal button.

upload_2016-8-24_7-53-32.png

When they tell you that you must pay a certain amount within 7 days or they'll ship it back to you, you pay and worry about it later. At least they're paying the shipping costs both ways which would come to over $100. so even if I do end up paying for it, I'm getting off fairly cheap. For that I am grateful.

Why would you pay if you know it is under warranty?

When they tell you that you must pay a certain amount within 7 days or they'll ship it back to you, you pay and worry about it later. At least they're paying the shipping costs both ways which would come to over $100. so even if I do end up paying for it, I'm getting off fairly cheap. For that I am grateful.
With warranty repairs they pay shipping both ways also. So you should not have to pay anything.
You should have called them first or sent an email, fax, text, online chat... [emoji16]
I hope you get your money back.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

I spoke to them about it and they said they're looking into an adjustment of the invoice.

I just checked the status and it now says, "Repaired and Tested". Does anyone know how long after seeing "Repaired and Tested" do they ship it back out?

Thanks everyone.

Bud

I spoke to them about it and they said they're looking into an adjustment of the invoice.

I just checked the status and it now says, "Repaired and Tested". Does anyone know how long after seeing "Repaired and Tested" do they ship it back out?

Thanks everyone.

Bud
That means they should ship the next day. For mine, it stayed in that status until the package arrived.

I have the same "repair and tested" status (with no date or tracking number) for an Inspire Pro. Curious of when you will receive your drone too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31