Warnings while flying in -5 degree weather in Colorado.

If you post the flyxxx.Dat file of you flights that day I could check each motor rpm, amp draw, volts per cell, error messages etc during the flight.
I wouldn't be surprised that some ice formed on the props making them less efficient hence increasing current draw.
The battery temperature should be fine if you already flew for 5 minutes. But again having the Dat file would provide more insight.

Reactions: Dunbeazy
Icing should be considered when flying in cold air temps that are approaching the dew point.

If you post the flyxxx.Dat file of you flights that day I could check each motor rpm, amp draw, volts per cell, error messages etc during the flight.
I wouldn't be surprised that some ice formed on the props making them less efficient hence increasing current draw.
The battery temperature should be fine if you already flew for 5 minutes. But again having the Dat file would provide more insight.

How do i upload the DAT file. I have tried and failed each time. I even put it in a zipped folder and nothing.

You can upload in Google Drive or dropbox and share link here.
You could also upload here but then you will need to tell me the File name(s) you uploaded.
FLYXXX.DAT

I find it interesting that DJI designed the battery to protect itself and SHUT OFF mid flight, which would obviously destroy the craft in a hundred foot dive bomb, just to protect the battery. Nevermind the innocent bystander that gets clobbered on the head, or the car that got the windshield busted, all from saving the battery, but hey.......the battery was protected. This makes no sense.

I think a visual display warning of battery over discharge, and an audible voice saying "danger, danger, over discharge" would be more appropriate, verses the craft falling from the sky. But that's just me.
Yes, how is a battery saved if it's crashed from the sky? The physical shock of crashing most likely makes the battery undesirable for future use due to potential damage. This is a symptom of component engineering rather than full systems engineering and analysis. As a component, the battery design is ok, but if used in a P3, there is never a scenario where battery shutdown is warranted while flying.

You can upload in Google Drive or dropbox and share link here.
You could also upload here but then you will need to tell me the File name(s) you uploaded.

I uploaded 2x and recieved this error "
SOME_ERRORS
Partial or missing record at or near tickNo 325301, file Position 104968202" Anyways, the name of the file is FLY139.DAT

2 questions, where did u go on vacation and if you flew there, did the airline give you any trouble about your li-po battery?

I uploaded 2x and recieved this error "
SOME_ERRORS
Partial or missing record at or near tickNo 325301, file Position 104968202" Anyways, the name of the file is FLY139.DAT
These kinds of errors are problems with the file itself. Most flights have a few of these errors and don't have a material effect on the conversion of the file. I'm assuming that you downloaded the resulting FLY139.csv. I've been thinking about not reporting these errors because of the confusion it causes.

Had a look at the Fly139
All looks pretty good to me except increase in motor RPM and load at around 4 minutes after take off. Where I Circled in blue.

upload_2016-1-1_16-45-43.png

I find it interesting that DJI designed the battery to protect itself and SHUT OFF mid flight, which would obviously destroy the craft in a hundred foot dive bomb, just to protect the battery. Nevermind the innocent bystander that gets clobbered on the head, or the car that got the windshield busted, all from saving the battery, but hey.......the battery was protected. This makes no sense.

I think a visual display warning of battery over discharge, and an audible voice saying "danger, danger, over discharge" would be more appropriate, verses the craft falling from the sky. But that's just me.

Agree 100% but I think the real issue as just that DJI had the cut off too low. If the battery only cut off when not being used than this would be good as it would save people a lot of $150 batteries (we'd probably be pissed if they died just sitting around not being used). So the trick is, to get the cut off low enough where it does not happen in flight. I'm betting that the firmware in the battery is just not set up (or it's not practical) to tell when the battery is under load (as when in flight). That would certainly solve this problem. But if it can be corrected... and I'm hoping it can... by simply lowering the cut off and power drain on a colder battery as DJI has done, then everything should be just fine. FranknFly has stated that several people tested it in colder temps and did not have a problem.

Great video of the Stanley and Estes Park. On my list of places to fly

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj