Warnings on P3S

Reaction score
First flight since the ARGtek upgrade.

Even before takeoff I had repeated warnings in the screen shot.

On the coast with nothing obvious nearby that could be interfering

Only got to 526m when signal was lost and it returned to home 300m from where we started.

Any tips ?

IMG_1492707302.228621.jpg

I'm assuming that you been to this location before with better results?

First flight since the ARGtek upgrade.

Even before takeoff I had repeated warnings in the screen shot.

On the coast with nothing obvious nearby that could be interfering

Only got to 526m when signal was lost and it returned to home 300m from where we started.

Any tips ?

View attachment 80821
What is meant here ? "it returned to home 300m from where we started."

Yes I had flown here last year with no issues and much longer distance with the standard non argtek upgrade .

Sorry, it landed 300m from the take off spot after the RTH activated with the loss of signal. I thought it auto updated the home location on take off

I thought it auto updated the home location on take off
What device are you using to fly? Whatever you are using needs to have GPS to update the home point. Any tablet not bought for use with a cell service likely won't have GPS.

What device are you using to fly? Whatever you are using needs to have GPS to update the home point. Any tablet not bought for use with a cell service likely won't have GPS.
That's not true with Andriod devices, lots of units with GPS and no cell service.

Keep in mind, any cell phone with Wi-Fi turned is sending out a signal seeking a hotspot. I always turn off my cell when flying. Or, you can just turn off your Wi-Fi on your phone. If you Wi-Fi on the phone happens to be on the same frequency as your Phantom, it will cause real problems. It sounds like that is what may have happened to you.

Keep in mind, any cell phone with Wi-Fi turned is sending out a signal seeking a hotspot. I always turn off my cell when flying. Or, you can just turn off your Wi-Fi on your phone. If you Wi-Fi on the phone happens to be on the same frequency as your Phantom, it will cause real problems. It sounds like that is what may have happened to you.
So, you just fly your phantom without using Dji Go and don't take advantage of taking videos or stills? Let alone knowing where your birdie is in the sky etc.
Turning off the wifi on your phone means you don't actually need to take your phone with you.
I am assuming of course that the OP is flying a P3S

P3S has to have Wi-Fi on , what model are you flying ?

So, you just fly your phantom without using Dji Go and don't take advantage of taking videos or stills? Let alone knowing where your birdie is in the sky etc.
Turning off the wifi on your phone means you don't actually need to take your phone with you.
I am assuming of course that the OP is flying a P3S
I think your making the assumption he only has one device? That's not how I took it. Many Phantom owners use a dedicated device for drone flight use and don't use their personal cell phone except to make a phone call or text. Like myself, I go out flying with no less than three devices on hand. Two for drone use (tablet and cell) and my personal cell phone, and these assumes I'm out by myself that day. So I think his point was to turn off all device wifi with you, excluding the one used for flight.

Reactions: macoman
I was asking arizonahuskerfan what model he is flying , I don't think he has a standard and realizes that the standard needs Wi-Fi , MANY phantom owners have ONE phone and that's all we got to use !
Being this is a P3S forum, and he's thread heading is "Warnings on P3S" safe to assume he has a Standard.
But when he logs back on he might make clear what he was getting at with the suggestion to turn off the wifi on your cell phone.
I'm still fairly certain he was referring to a second cell that you might have on you.

No, the home point is set using the built in GPS in the bird.

Home Point is set using the GPS in the AC, but can only be updated to the current RC location if the phone/tablet has GPS. This is what dg8882 was referring to.

Last edited:
Home Point is set using the GPS in the AC, but can only be updated to the current RC location if the phone/tablet has GPS. This is what dg8882 was referring to.
That is not true, not sure where your getting that from. You could in theory fly your Phantom without any device at all, none. And the Home point will still be updated by the AC's GPS and recorded in the drones memory. That's when the green lights blink on the AC's arms. The GPS in your device is only to pin point your RC location (blue dot) on the map, it has nothing to do with the drones location in any way.

Reactions: pomonabill220

That is not true, not sure where your getting that from. You could in theory fly your Phantom without any device at all, none. And the Home point will still be updated by the AC's GPS and recorded in the drones memory. That's when the green lights blink on the AC's arms. The GPS in your device is only to pin point your RC location (blue dot) on the map, it has nothing to do with the drones location in any way.

When you start a flight, the Home Point is automatically set to the AC location, using its GPS. But you can manually update the Hope Point at any time via DJI GO, to either the current AC position, or the current RC position. In the latter case, you do need a device with a GPS. What is not true about this?

Here below a screenshot I found with a quick Google search... might not be the latest DJI GO version but it shows you where the option is.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 3.31.18 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj