WARNING REGARDS LATEST FIRMWARE! LOSS OF MOTOR PWR IN FLIGHT

Re: WARNING REGARDS LATEST FIRMWARE! LOSS OF MOTOR PWR IN FL

MrC said:
My p2z that i bought in march has the old style. I'm looking for this new type too, to replace it. Not too happy about having to open her up and do surgery but seems there are definitely a few probs with battery/balance connector disconnection.
can you post a picture of your old style? the one above is hard to see. I think mine is the new one but who knows, they all look the same to me.

I tried to take a pic but my cameras macro ability is terrible. But on looking closely basically from the distance the old style pic above is taken, they look like the old type, but closer up they look like new type lol. They have the castle-like crenulations on the tops.

Are we sure they redesigned them and it isn't just these pics causing confusion? The old style pic is further out and out of focus, hard to see if it has the crenulations or not.

I ordered my P2V in Nov, 2013 and received it at the beginning. It's pins look like the ones labelled "new". Let's see a better photo of "old".

I also have a Nov. 2013 P2V and it has the contact pins with the points. The problematic ones were supposed to be domed, but I had to look very closely with a magnifier to realize that mine were the improved pins. I can say that have not had any in-flight battery failures. However, a brand new battery I purchased has cells that appear to be too far out of balance, so I have not tried flying with it. I sent a screenshot of the measurements on the Phantom software and DJI suggested I return it to the vendor, but that hasn't worked out very well, so far.

I am considering to periodically check the cell balance, like every 20 charging cycles, when it is recommended to drain it almost completely and then recharge it fully. I also look inside to verify that the pins are fully extended before I install the battery.

I am more likely to think the sudden failures are internal to the battery, rather than the data connection.

My P2V+ did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Had only been in the air 40sec & the motors stopped. camera/gimbal wrecked. DJI don't want to know about it except to say they will fix it if I PAY for the repairs AND parts!
So I ordered another one... In the meantime I removed the wrecked gimbal/camera and was able to fly it. I put in a fully charged battery, and let it hover 8ft off the ground for about 15min... I was just lighting a cigarette & the motors stopped, fortunately I dived forward and caught it by the leg before it hit the ground. battery still had 2 solid green indicators. I replaced the battery & let it hover again, only hovered for 7min before the same thing happened. Something caused the motors to just shut off. I haven't flown it since.
Just received my new P2V+ and the compass will not calibrate, solid yellow lights on all the time. Camera is tilted down at the L/H side and will not sit horizontal. Motors will not spin up at all so I can't even try to fly it. I don't think it is brand new to be honest because it is not as white as the first one I got, it just has that 2nd hand feel to it..

Where did you buy it ? Did you check in assistant ? Is failsafe on by any chance ?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
My P2V+ did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Had only been in the air 40sec & the motors stopped. camera/gimbal wrecked. DJI don't want to know about it except to say they will fix it if I PAY for the repairs AND parts!
So I ordered another one... In the meantime I removed the wrecked gimbal/camera and was able to fly it. I put in a fully charged battery, and let it hover 8ft off the ground for about 15min... I was just lighting a cigarette & the motors stopped, fortunately I dived forward and caught it by the leg before it hit the ground. battery still had 2 solid green indicators. I replaced the battery & let it hover again, only hovered for 7min before the same thing happened. Something caused the motors to just shut off. I haven't flown it since.
Just received my new P2V+ and the compass will not calibrate, solid yellow lights on all the time. Camera is tilted down at the L/H side and will not sit horizontal. Motors will not spin up at all so I can't even try to fly it. I don't think it is brand new to be honest because it is not as white as the first one I got, it just has that 2nd hand feel to it..

Any charge cycles on the '2nd hand' batt.?

Has the OP from back in April 10 updated to v3.04? Can any of you comment if v3.04 has solved any of these issues?

I just updated yesterday and then flew her, she was all over the place flying in the air like a drunken sailor.

Sure you didn't have it in atti. ?

Skipholiday said:
MrC said:
My p2z that i bought in march has the old style. I'm looking for this new type too, to replace it. Not too happy about having to open her up and do surgery but seems there are definitely a few probs with battery/balance connector disconnection.
can you post a picture of your old style? the one above is hard to see. I think mine is the new one but who knows, they all look the same to me.

The old style was a simple radius which made one point of contact, the center of the pin. The new, crowned, type make contact in a number of places which is supposed to make it harder to lose contact between the spring loaded pins on the aircraft and the pads that they connect to on the battery.

A little too much in flight vibration could cause that single tiny point of contact to disconnect for a fraction of a second... and... things start to get ugly. I don't know why they can't build into the algorithm that the contact must be lost for at least five seconds or so before the aircraft reacts...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Skipholiday said:
MrC said:

The old style was a simple radius which made one point of contact, the center of the pin. The new, crowned, type make contact in a number of places which is supposed to make it harder to lose contact between the spring loaded pins on the aircraft and the pads that they connect to on the battery.

A little too much in flight vibration could cause that single tiny point of contact to disconnect for a fraction of a second... and... things start to get ugly. I don't know why they can't build into the algorithm that the contact must be lost for at least five seconds or so before the aircraft reacts...

-slinger
this is mine on the Vision. thanks

gunslinger said:
Skipholiday said:
MrC said:

-slinger

Why even care about battery authentication after power-up, or lift-off at the latest anyways?

I have noticed this...

I asked two or three friends to insert the battery for me a few times in case I needed their help (not telling them anything special).

I then noticed more than half the time they never FULLY seated the battery into the a/c.

They clicked in place and were captured by the tabs but I could still push them in about 0.5-1.0mm or so.

I don't know the tolerance of the pin/batt. interface but if it's tight this may have resulted in momentary loss of contact(???).

I have to smack mine , or I see that gap.

They can't build an algorithm Into it to cope with loss of power. The MC itself would require power for the algorithm to be effective. Something it would no longer have and hence not even be operating after five seconds of no contact.

Ozzyguy said:
They can't build an algorithm Into it to cope with loss of power. The MC itself would require power for the algorithm to be effective. Something it would no longer have and hence not even be operating after five seconds of no contact.
cmos battery?

That still would not have enough power to keep the motors going. Five seconds is a long time to free fall. Better to fix the battery connection IMHO.

Ozzyguy said:

The capture of the battery's DC contacts seems robust.

I thought we were discussing the momentary loss of "smart battery' data possibly causing a system generated shut-down.
DJI has obviously seen the need to change pin tip style and increase the contact pad size.

As far as a [momentary] loss of DC in flight... Catastrophic. I doubt any algorthm can help with that situation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31