WARNING! It did not fly away. It fell off!

Reaction score
Just a little information for anyone that has the 5.8 antenna mod for control on their quad for the P2V from FPVLR dot com. Todays flight went bad because one of the two antenna managed to unscrew itself and fall off. It is somewhere in the sand dunes between Tim Buck and Two. Dam. They were tight on the connectors. Part of my pre-flight check list. So if you have these and you take them off to fit your quad in a case, better find some way to anchor them to the quad. Since I don't remove them I will at least loc-tight the threads or something.
Blast it, now I have to wait for a replacement to arrive and stay on the ground.

That royally sucks. Did you notice it fell off right when it happened or when the P2V came home?

Since I was not out for any distance record, I was not far away(I guess)for control to break. Other antenna held connection. Found out when got home and put quad and parts away.

Phew. I have a set of blue beams for when i get my FPV set up. I never would have thought to use some loc-tight on them. Will do now!

......And when it is going to cost me $40.00 to replace the darn antenna, I may "weld" them in place. :shock:

I always carry a roll of electrical tape when I head out into the field for some flying. I just ordered these bird-side antennas from FPVLR and I plan on removing them so I can fit my Vision+ inside my hard case --- so it looks like I will just use some electric tape to secure them to the bird before I launch.

Problem solved. :)

Sort of reminds me of the old Buddy Hackett story, best told by him, where a guy visits an oriental doctor about a problem with his "member."

ChuckMRN said:
maybe a plastic tie wrap done loosely thru the clover leaf as a safety..
good luck
Interesting idea. Just may consider that. Being plastic I can't see why it would cause any problem(s).
New antenna should be on its way today.

Happyflyer said:
Just a little information for anyone that has the 5.8 antenna mod for control on their quad for the P2V from FPVLR dot com. Todays flight went bad because one of the two antenna managed to unscrew itself and fall off. It is somewhere in the sand dunes between Tim Buck and Two. Dam. They were tight on the connectors. Part of my pre-flight check list. So if you have these and you take them off to fit your quad in a case, better find some way to anchor them to the quad. Since I don't remove them I will at least loc-tight the threads or something.
Blast it, now I have to wait for a replacement to arrive and stay on the ground.

sorry about what happened. the replacement was just sent out. I am thinking that it's possible the sidebox mount, being so slippery could cause antennas to unscrew if the female sma thread isn't long enough.
For this purpose we recommend using a 8mm wrench, Craftsman 42346 is one of them,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Metri ... ls&vxp=mtr

You can find then easily on ebay.
TONY.

kondorfpv said:
.....sorry about what happened. the replacement was just sent out. I am thinking that it's possible the sidebox mount, being so slippery could cause antennas to unscrew if the female sma thread isn't long enough.
For this purpose we recommend using a 8mm wrench, Craftsman 42346 is one of them,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Metri ... ls&vxp=mtr

You can find then easily on ebay.
TONY.
Very well could be part of it. There is just under 1/4" of thread sticking out, but not much up in the antenna connector. Since I don't take mine off for a case my thread lock states it is good for 100 inch pounds, so it should hold. Still thinking about the tie suggestion as a back up. The antennas are great but cost too much to be dropping them in the grass.

Vibration. Any thread/bolt's worst enemy.
That and rust for the opposite problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj