Warning! If you have a RF-V16 Tracker

Reaction score
Ran into a little, well, large problem with my RF-V16 tracker. Thought I would advise anyone else you may be looking for your tracker and not your quad. I attached mine on the left front bottom of the landing leg. I used the small hole in the corner to run a small zip tie through. I already had a spot of velcro on the bottom of the tracker when it was in a different location. So I also stuck a spot of velcro on the leg. So the tracker was attached in two places. Well, it was a good thing it was. Today I picked up the quad and the tracker was only on the velcro. So with a close investigation I found the small "pin" that holds the tie and tracker together was broken off. If you look at the picture below, you can see the little "pin" was attached to only one part of the tracker. The low quality plastic from China broke off and only the velcro was holding it on the quad.
So if you have yours attached through that hole, better come up with a second way to keep it in place. Or you may be tracking your tracker and not your quad.

Attachments

• 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 720
good to know... thanks - I was looking at adding this tracker and will keep it in mind if I purchase.

Happyflyer said:
Ran into a little, well, large problem with my RF-V16 tracker. Thought I would advise anyone else you may be looking for your tracker and not your quad. I attached mine on the left front bottom of the landing leg. I used the small hole in the corner to run a small zip tie through. I already had a spot of velcro on the bottom of the tracker when it was in a different location. So I also stuck a spot of velcro on the leg. So the tracker was attached in two places. Well, it was a good thing it was. Today I picked up the quad and the tracker was only on the velcro. So with a close investigation I found the small "pin" that holds the tie and tracker together was broken off. If you look at the picture below, you can see the little "pin" was attached to only one part of the tracker. The low quality plastic from China broke off and only the velcro was holding it on the quad.
So if you have yours attached through that hole, better come up with a second way to keep it in place. Or you may be tracking your tracker and not your quad.
Thanks for posting.
I got mind last week and broke it straight away pulling on a tie wrap. Good idea to make this public.

I have the DroneMods tracker. The velcro holds it very well but I also tied a string around tracker and is looped through the landing leg in case of a crash and it gets flung off. Should probably teather the Gopro also.

I already fixed mine and will post a picture of the fix. News and supper time now. And when RT cat yells for dinner, it is time to eat.

Attachments

• blackcat-03.gif
    blackcat-03.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 649
Oops..isn't that where you're supposed to put a lanyard so you can wear the tracker around your neck In case of emergency?? I've fallen and my tracker has too!! Help....

turbodronepilot said:
Oops..isn't that where you're supposed to put a lanyard so you can wear the tracker around your neck In case of emergency?? I've fallen and my tracker has too!! Help....
Yes, you got that right.
I looked it all over and decided to see if I could pop the unit apart. With very thin blade at the hole I was able to pop it open and only broke one of many snaps and it did go back together. Also wrote down battery numbers.
Once it was opened up I very, very, very slowly drilled from the inside out. Did this in both directions. There is nothing in that corner to hit. Popped it back together and put a black zip tie through the hole. Then put a red tie around the black and the leg. It is not going to go anywhere now. Except on trips with the quad.

Attachments

• 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 798
Hey happyflyer. I notice a magnetic pull when I wave my rf-v16 in front of the phantom battery. .is there a magnet inside of the tracker or is the pull coming from the batteries inside the tracker? ?

turbodronepilot said:
Hey happyflyer. I notice a magnetic pull when I wave my rf-v16 in front of the phantom battery. .is there a magnet inside of the tracker or is the pull coming from the batteries inside the tracker? ?
Well that is interesting. The battery in the tracker is as big as the entire shell and I lifted it up to see how it was connected to the board if it ever needed changing. Two small solder points to board. Can't say I saw anything that looked like a magnet. It has been in the shown position and quad has flown about 8-10 times and it acts OK. I don't think, in my case, it causes any problems. But YMMV.

Happyflyer said:
turbodronepilot said:
Well that is interesting. The battery in the tracker is as big as the entire shell and I lifted it up to see how it was connected to the board if it ever needed changing. Two small solder points to board. Can't say I saw anything that looked like a magnet. It has been in the shown position and quad has flown about 8-10 times and it acts OK. I don't think, in my case, it causes any problems. But YMMV.

How long does the battery last on that rf-v16? Is it easily replaceable? Still happy with it?

DattaGroover said:
.....How long does the battery last on that rf-v16? Is it easily replaceable? Still happy with it?
Others have stated several days of operation for their unit. Mine must have had an "older" battery. If fully charged and turned on and set by a window and just leave mine there, I will get a text message from the unit the battery is low after about 12 hours. When I had it apart I wrote down the battery numbers but have not yet done a search for a new one. The battery was as large as the size of the unit, had two wires from it to the circuit board, and were soldered there. Even with my weak battery, I still like the unit.
UPDATE: Found what sure looks like the battery on Amazon and Ebay. Just search for battery 603030. 3.7V 520Mah

Happyflyer said:
DattaGroover said:
.....How long does the battery last on that rf-v16? Is it easily replaceable? Still happy with it?
Others have stated several days of operation for their unit. Mine must have had an "older" battery. If fully charged and turned on and set by a window and just leave mine there, I will get a text message from the unit the battery is low after about 12 hours. When I had it apart I wrote down the battery numbers but have not yet done a search for a new one. The battery was as large as the size of the unit, had two wires from it to the circuit board, and were soldered there. Even with my weak battery, I still like the unit.
UPDATE: Found what sure looks like the battery on Amazon and Ebay. Just search for battery 603030. 3.7V 520Mah

Thanks for that. I will most likely go with the Drone Mods one (http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Lo ... -DM006.htm). At least it ships from US (can be 6 weeks for this from China) and it is rechargeable. I would hate to be out in the middle of nowhere and be out of battery. Also, since I'm sometimes on the road in exotic locations for months, it might be hard to get those batteries.

DattaGroover,
Your screen name does not show your location but the link showed an international version of that tracker, so we will guess you are not in the USA. There have been good comments on that unit so enjoy.
Fly safe.

Happyflyer said:
DattaGroover,
Your screen name does not show your location but the link showed an international version of that tracker, so we will guess you are not in the USA. There have been good comments on that unit so enjoy.
Fly safe.

Hey there, Happy Flyer. I am home-based in Colorado (where I am today), but spend time in Japan, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Iceland, and New Zealand. I'm travelling more than I'm home.

I have been in touch with the Drone-mods people, and plan to order their international version.

Wow! World traveler. Enjoy, be safe.

Nice. Well done!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31