WARNING for GO App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the Go app is pretty much the same to me too, I agree with the rest of the group posting here. I'm not sure why you're complaining. What is it that you prefer from Pilot over the Go app?

That said, imagine the surprise when I arrived at a shoot, then opening up my iPad app to find the Pilot app GONE and totally replaced with GO. That moment of ignorance was not pleasant. I didn't know what to expect from a new DJI app, and that really ticked me off. That moment wasn't the time and place for me to learn a new app. I had a job to do and any delays or mistakes from being unfamiliar with a new app was a risk. I felt very unprepared, and that's out of my norm, very uncomfortable. It took me 30min to reassure myself I could take off, but I took extra precautions and system checkout, which is why it took an extra 30min. Fortunately everything went smooth.

DJI is totally wrong to replace old apps automatically IMO. With the history of DJI's messing up software/firmware there should be an option to disable automatic updates with the DJI app itself, while leaving my existing apps to auto update as I have selected. Normally I trust most apps on my iPad to update automatically, as those apps aren't high risk if something doesn't work, it won't affect my work process much. However, changes to something that flies that can crash into something or someone is a different story. I don't like changing s/w automatically, it needs to be announced first with a list of changes made. Downloading separately should be allowed so it can be test flown first, and if it isn't good, the pilot should be able to choose to go back to the previous app. There should be nothing wrong with two DJI apps on the iPad to select from. This should be simple for DJI to do, and I'm unclear what their motivation is for NOT allowing that.

That's an iOS gripe not a DJI one.... on iOS you either have the choice to update automatically or not... you can't choose do do it per application. So, as another poster commented... YOU gave iOS this permission and DJI doesn't have the ability/right to reverse your permission.

In the end - it's all much ado about nothing... the DJI GO app works just fine. If you want to prevent "updates without your permission" then turn of auto updates in iOS... easy peasy...

Hi Steve:

Do you really think you are going to change people by just telling them how you perceive they should be? I'm sure you know people at times will complain if they were hung with a new rope. Its a perfectly normal reaction for people to be upset when things don't go like they think they should. I'm not saying that that concept is right or wrong. There are all kinds of people buying these drones. Some are reasonable and some are not and everything in between. I'm wondering why you think you should have to scold them and straighten them out? If people think they have been wronged, you are not going to change anything by telling them to straighten up. Just saying. Lots of people on here don't have any compassion for the whiners. Just move on. We can't change the world.;)
My point is that WE are the ones that control what we do.. so target that frustration toward its real source. If I do something and it causes problems I blame ME. I made the decision to jump in on the beta testing of firmware and Ground Station. I did that to myself. If I end up with a P3 flying to the moon due to an error in the FW or app its MY fault for submitting to test the stuff. EVERYONE needs to look at their actions in search for errors and failure. Sure, DJI is putting out some weak stuff from time to time. And we all know it. So act accordingly and see that YOU are making the choice to use it or not. No one is forced to do anything. If that comes across as a "scolding" its because it makes sense!

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Both of you! Goto your room's right now! That's enough....
:p

Reactions: Max Nilsen
Great thought, except every response to this post, except yours, says basically the same thing. So why did you feel the need to try to "scold" me for what I said?
Sorry if I offended you. I thought I might, but truthfully I have no reason to offend you. I don't even know you.

Im hardly offended. Its just strange when everyone is saying the same thing as me but Im the one that people want to go after. Its OK.. Im a big boy. Just dont get all butt-hurt when I come back at ya and we will all be fine.

My point is that WE are the ones that control what we do.. so target that frustration toward its real source. If I do something and it causes problems I blame ME. I made the decision to jump in on the beta testing of firmware and Ground Station. I did that to myself. If I end up with a P3 flying to the moon due to an error in the FW or app its MY fault for submitting to test the stuff. EVERYONE needs to look at their actions in search for errors and failure. Sure, DJI is putting out some weak stuff from time to time. And we all know it. So act accordingly and see that YOU are making the choice to use it or not. No one is forced to do anything. If that comes across as a "scolding" its because it makes sense!
I understand your point. I really do. But........don't get upset with me.........we all know already what you just explained. Its nothing new. If you/we can help someone with their drone problems, then help them. Don't beat them up cause they are complaining. There is no end when that type of discussion starts up.

Reactions: III% Streve
I understand your point. I really do. But........don't get upset with me.........we all know already what you just explained. Its nothing new. If you/we can help someone with their drone problems, then help them. Don't beat them up cause they are complaining. There is no end when that type of discussion starts up.
Thats fair enough.. I see that helping has to start with getting people to see where their initial problems started. Its easy to help someone get back an older version of whatever they need. But if the REAL issue isnt resolved (blocking automatic updates) then the problem will be back tomorrow. Band-aids are worthless! Frustrating, and lead to misdirected frustration.

Thats fair enough.. I see that helping has to start with getting people to see where their initial problems started. Its easy to help someone get back an older version of whatever they need. But if the REAL issue isnt resolved (blocking automatic updates) then the problem will be back tomorrow. Band-aids are worthless! Frustrating, and lead to misdirected frustration.
I find it funny how people with such limited tech knowledge that they cant even turn off auto update on there devices want to take a $1000+ drone out into the sky without even reading manuals or doing some basic research .Then they cant figure out how it works or they crash it when it goes into Atti mode and drifts because they think its flying away. :D:p

Reactions: acherman
I find it funny how people with such limited tech knowledge that they cant even turn off auto update on there devices want to take a $1000+ drone out into the sky without even reading manuals or doing some basic research .Then they cant figure out how it works or they crash it when it goes into Atti mode and drifts because they think its flying away. :D:p
See @imadago .... I'm not nearly as direct as THAT! But hes right.

If I update everything do I lose channels and long range?
Any other drawbacks?
Yes I know posted before but search never works well for me!

The channel hack does nothing for additional range. Same freq set and same power. But the hack does still work.

Then dont update! Seems pretty simple. And if you want to have the old app to go back to then keep a copy of the old apps install file to use... as I do. They YOU covered yourself in all ways. A person has to be responsible for their own 'whatever".. its not someone else s problem! On one hand we have people crying and complaining because DJI hasn't GIVEN us the features they promised. Although those promises weren't set on any timeline. And then you have the people that toss a tantrum because they put out an update. No, I'm not saying that AgentOrange came off as a tantrum either... just showing the extremes. There cant be progress without changes. And there cant be changes without some form of growing pains! Those of us that make a living off of our work need to ensure, for ourselves, that our work can be done. And in that, no matter what the work is, we need to ensure that our tools are reliable.. so WE have to take steps to secure that reliability. Its NOT DJIs problem!

Huh? Need some croutons for that word salad?

This thread seems to have degenerated to a trial run for stream of consciousness writing and new rules of syntax and grammar. Agent Orange? Just sayin'

Last edited:
Reactions: ianwood
I felt the same way until I fired up the Go App, and now I much prefer the GO APP and the improvements in it.
I never want to go backward.
Just fire it up and spend some time getting used to it.

Reactions: III% Streve
I am very happy with the new GO app and the latest firmware. I use a Nexus 2013, rolled back play services, cache my maps before I fly with a portable hotspot, go into airplane mode, and haven't had an app crash yet. Of course now that I said that...

Last edited:
That seems wildly unfair to the OP. Read the first post, the fella clearly isn't a beginner. He just didn't realize that the GO App was an update to the Pilot App... pretty easy mistake to make. Took me a the better part of a week after the release to realize GO was just an update with a new name.
And I don't think this was ultimately an auto-update issue; rereading the post, it sounds to me that he had to search out the GO App and select to download. The OP just would have liked to have known that what he was downloading was a total replacement, and not something completely stand-alone. I don't think that's too much to ask at all. Just my $.02

Reactions: imadago
This is a first . Someone is actually blaming dji because they had the wrong settings on their device wow. Next time uncheck the box that allows automatic updates.

This is a first . Someone is actually blaming dji because they had the wrong settings on their device wow. Next time uncheck the box that allows automatic updates.
Now comes the real sympathetic commenters. These guys are a dime a dozen on this forum. They are like a wolfpack. They gang up on everyone that isn't as smart as they think they are. Talk about same old same old. Here they come again. Keep reading you will be able to identify them in short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl