Warning don't buy a Phantom, here is why?

Reaction score
Seems I am getting mucked around with, from DJI, and the Dealer. I warn anyone if you go and buy a Phantom, and it is a lemon, then don't expect a replacement, anytime soon.

I have been waiting one and a half months already, and still no replacement, the service is very poor, both from Dealer, and DJI and both does seem to take responsibility for it in any hurry.

I am so angry and frustrated, and here is the proof, DJI are mucking around big time, so don't get a stuff about there dealers or customers.
Dennis,

We are following the DJI protocol. It has been issued a RMA# from DJI NA. We shipped it to DJI NA and they currently have it. Until they notify of the return shipment there is nothing we can do.

Hey, I totally 100% understand your frustration. It would hope it would be resolved next week. Personally, they should just direct ship a barnd new Phantom but we don't make the policy.

Again, very very sorry.

Robert Remund
UAVProducts.com (formerly DJIUSA)
517-862-1386

I don't know what I can do, it is simply not good enough, and regret buying a Phantom, and seems wasted over $700, and no sign of a replacement. Seems no one is doing anything about it at any great speed, but more a snails pace. So warn anyone wanting to get a Phantom, don't bother, you will get mucked around with. I cannot seem to do anything, as I am overseas, so they just don't care.

I am so annoyed, thrown away $700 and unlikely to see a replacement if ever?

Does anyone know what I can do? Living in New Zealand, since I imported it, and no dealers here. I am basically stuffed.

denodan said:
Seems I am getting mucked around with, from DJI, and the Dealer. I warn anyone if you go and buy a Phantom, and it is a lemon, then don't expect a replacement, anytime soon.

I have been waiting one and a half months already, and still no replacement, the service is very poor, both from Dealer, and DJI and both does seem to take responsibility for it in any hurry.

I am so angry and frustrated, and here is the proof, DJI are mucking around big time, so don't get a stuff about there dealers or customers.
Dennis,

We are following the DJI protocol. It has been issued a RMA# from DJI NA. We shipped it to DJI NA and they currently have it. Until they notify of the return shipment there is nothing we can do.

Hey, I totally 100% understand your frustration. It would hope it would be resolved next week. Personally, they should just direct ship a barnd new Phantom but we don't make the policy.

Again, very very sorry.

Robert Remund
UAVProducts.com (formerly DJIUSA)
517-862-1386

I don't know what I can do, it is simply not good enough, and regret buying a Phantom, and seems wasted over $700, and no sign of a replacement. Seems no one is doing anything about it at any great speed, but more a snails pace. So warn anyone wanting to get a Phantom, don't bother, you will get mucked around with. I cannot seem to do anything, as I am overseas, so they just don't care.

I am so annoyed, thrown away $700 and unlikely to see a replacement if ever?

Does anyone know what I can do? Living in New Zealand, since I imported it, and no dealers here. I am basically stuffed.

Do you know Bruce from the x jet channel ? He's got a really good following and I'm sure he'd like to hear about this. Last I knew he was planning on doing a review of the phantom. He does it on model reviews on you tube. If you don't know of him, I'll give you and anybody else having trouble his site and contact info.

Yes Please do give the info, then maybe DJI will stand up and take notice and correct their issues and problems.

denodan said:
Yes Please do give the info, then maybe DJI will stand up and take notice and correct their issues and problems.

Ok I'll look it up and get back to you with it. He lives in NZ and thrives on things like this. As far as dealers following protocol, you mean they can't tell dji what is happening to their reputation ? Bull---.I'll be back with his info.

denodan said:
Here you go, His name is Bruce Simpson He lives in NZ somewhere around a Tokora or something like that, here is contact info

If you want to provide some private feedback, ask a question, place an advertisement or have a product you'd like to see reviewed here then please contact me directly.

The preferred method is via email: [email protected]

Or if it's urgent you can ring me between the hours of 2100GMT and 0800GMT on +64 21 1131962

Hope this helps. If not I'll try another solution. Good luck with your Phantom, mine is grounded for now.

Gary39 said:
denodan said:
Here you go, His name is Bruce Simpson He lives in NZ somewhere around a Tokora or something like that, here is contact info

If you want to provide some private feedback, ask a question, place an advertisement or have a product you'd like to see reviewed here then please contact me directly.

The preferred method is via email: [email protected]

Or if it's urgent you can ring me between the hours of 2100GMT and 0800GMT on +64 21 1131962

Hope this helps. If not I'll try another solution. Good luck with your Phantom, mine is grounded for now.

Hey, thanks for the info, just emailed him. For my Phantom to sit a month to just get a RMA number from DJI is pretty poor, my dealer just sent it off to DJI.

I purchased a Phantom from B&H Photo. The battery shipped would not charge. I called B&H they issued an RMA# and shipping label. Took it to UPS, few days later received email from B&H acknowledging receipt. At the same time I talked to B&H I ordered another Phantom. Two days later it was here and worked fabulously. Happy ending, great product, great service from a great dealer. Just left NAB 2013. DJI had a phenomenal presence there. The new gimbal and Vision model/iPhone app will be very exciting to own.

My 2 cents worth . . .

Effect of balancing stock props: http://vimeo.com/63987227

Got this reply from Bruce, and has a big following in the RC, and is keeping an eye on the Phantom Situation, and also not happy with them.

H Dennis,

Yes, I've heard some horror-stories about the Phantom too so your email does not surprise me.

For what they are, they are rather overpriced (IMHO) but I guess DJI thought they'd be able to make some serious money by capitalising on the market for consumer-grade "drones".

DJI have never responded to any of my emails so I suspect that they (like Horizon/Spektrum) would rather remain silent and hope certain issues "blow over" rather than answer questions which might embarrass them.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Phantom situation for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I don't like to see people wasting money on stuff that doesn't perform "as advertised" and secondly, all we need is a wayward Phantom to cause damage or injury and CAA will come down on the whole "drone" issue like a tonne of bricks, effectively ruining the hobby for everyone.

Keep me informed as to your progress with this thing, I'd like to know how it turns out.

Regards
Bruce
RCModelReviews

baichard said:
I purchased a Phantom from B&H Photo. The battery shipped would not charge. I called B&H they issued an RMA# and shipping label. Took it to UPS, few days later received email from B&H acknowledging receipt. At the same time I talked to B&H I ordered another Phantom. Two days later it was here and worked fabulously. Happy ending, great product, great service from a great dealer. Just left NAB 2013. DJI had a phenomenal presence there. The new gimbal and Vision model/iPhone app will be very exciting to own.

My 2 cents worth . . .

Yeah, B&H is a great company... always done things right for the customer.
Very smooth video. Balancing the props is the best single thing to do for video and makes a huge difference.
Also... you won't have to worry about having a Phantom take off and escape, as long as you keep 'em indoors. LOL

denodan said:
Got this reply from Bruce, and has a big following in the RC, and is keeping an eye on the Phantom Situation, and also not happy with them.

"DJI have never responded to any of my emails so I suspect that they (like Horizon/Spektrum) would rather remain silent and hope certain issues "blow over" rather than answer questions which might embarrass them."

Yeah, really. And why would they need to, since they have a whole army of loyal fanboys to do the talking for them?

baichard said:

My 2 cents worth . . .

Just wait till your Phantom develops a fault, and you got to return the whole thing? I doubt they will be so great if they have to replace your Phantom, as they have to go through the process with DJI, and DJI are poor and very slow to respond to the dealer.

Also doubt you will get a replacement Phantom when it takes off on it's own, get real problems then see how good B&H are?

Hi Dennis, glad you got hold of Bruce,he can do a lot for all of us phantom owners. If dji wants to continue on the path they are on, then it's their funeral. I'll be watching every move they make and contributing my frustration also. Good Luck.

Hi Dennis, I guess I have joined the bad phantom group. Got an err26 and cannot get rid of it. While in this state it cannot be flown. Was 65 here today. Grrrrr !

Gary39 said:
Hi Dennis, I guess I have joined the bad phantom group. Got an err26 and cannot get rid of it. While in this state it cannot be flown. Was 65 here today. Grrrrr !

What is this error code everyone keeps complaining about? Is this because you connected the Phantom to a computer to update software/firmware? If so, I may just avoid updating anything at the moment....why mess with it.

Gary39 said:

I had an error 25 and 26 right out of the box - 8 hrs later I cleared both :shock: - wrote email to Dji and my dealer ( Midwest surveillance) still waiting for response. :roll: Even though my phantom currently flies ever since I took out the Naza and slammed it face up on my counter and then ran advanced calibration, I'm not confident this craft is air worthy.

I have requested a new Naza and apparently both my dealer and Dji have today ( Monday ) off since I have not heard from either... Let's see what tomorrow brings.. I'm at least thankful for this forum for the information on how to get my phantom in the air. Spending $700 opening the box and not brig able to fly without hours of forum searching, completely taking apart phantom and Naza, and recalibrating what should have been factory settings.

Shocking how this company is lacking true customer service... Sad actually because there YouTube and mission statement on their website would lead you to think otherwise.

FangsCPO said:
Gary39 said:

What is this error code everyone keeps complaining about? Is this because you connected the Phantom to a computer to update software/firmware? If so, I may just avoid updating anything at the moment....why mess with it.
It happens on its own. You'll find out soon enough. Remember if you get a single green blink followed by 4 fast green blinks,don't fly it unless you want to join the ranks of " lost phantom "

Gary39 said:
FangsCPO said:
Gary39 said:

It happens on its own. You'll find out soon enough. Remember if you get a single green blink followed by 4 fast green blinks,don't fly it unless you want to join the ranks of " lost phantom "
It doesn't have to blink any errors, it can be in straight up yellow blinking Atti mode and zoom off not once but twice within seconds. The only way they will develop a customer service is when everyone starts calling the distributors and asking for their money back because they are nervous about losing $1100+ or killing someone
Unfortunately DJI will slither out of responsibility or liability because when one does fly through some senators bedroom window and GoPros him and his mistress doing the humpty dance it will be via pilot error, not one of the erratic fly-offs caused by even the slightest RF or wifi signal. When this happens, the U.S. will lead the way in getting these things banned and no one will have to worry anymore. Seriously hoping they get their buggy crap figured out, if they would just let those 13 year old Chinese girls get a couple hours of good sleep, that poll on that RC site wouldn't hover around 20% failure rate

Capodrone said:
Gary39 said:

I had an error 25 and 26 right out of the box - 8 hrs later I cleared both :shock: - wrote email to Dji and my dealer ( Midwest surveillance) still waiting for response. :roll: Even though my phantom currently flies ever since I took out the Naza and slammed it face up on my counter and then ran advanced calibration, I'm not confident this craft is air worthy.

I have requested a new Naza and apparently both my dealer and Dji have today ( Monday ) off since I have not heard from either... Let's see what tomorrow brings.. I'm at least thankful for this forum for the information on how to get my phantom in the air. Spending $700 opening the box and not brig able to fly without hours of forum searching, completely taking apart phantom and Naza, and recalibrating what should have been factory settings.

Shocking how this company is lacking true customer service... Sad actually because there YouTube and mission statement on their website would lead you to think otherwise.

Well I am warning everyone not to buy a Phantom, due to the lack of customer, and dealer support. If it is anything major, the dealer needs to go through DJI and they are so slack. Still waiting well over a month for replacement Phantom still nothing, that is how slack and dead slow they are.

Hi Dennis, Guess we have the same distributor uav ? I had trouble with mine too, got it fixed but had sent an e-mail to Robert on how to fix, still no reply. I don't think dji is giving their distrbutors any answers, and the dists. don't know how to answer. Should have bought the witespy with Quadrino like I started to do.

I don't know if I would tell someone to buy a phantom....or not to buy a phantom for that matter. I have mixed feelings considering the runaway issue alone. But I can say that my dealer promptly replaced my phantom when I called them to tell them none of my props would fit on 3 of the motor shafts. I saw all the threads in here where people were trimming a little, pushing a little harder, trimming a little more. My dealer agreed that there had to be an issue with the motor shafts and DID NOT recommend altering the props to make them fit. He told me to send the phantom back and he would send me a replacement. He did, and he also checked the props for fitment prior to sending out the replacement. Upon receipt of the returned phantom, he checked out my claim and emailed me to tell me there was no way he could get the props on...basically confirming my claim.

Redrockethobbies.com has been fantastic. So much so that I'm a return customer for some other big ticket items. And without checking with DJI, or making me jump through any hoops, they cheerfully and promptly replaced my phantom.

I'm still on the fence on whether I did the right thing in buying a phantom. I'm getting nervous with the increasing disappearing phantoms and I am in the process of doing a Spektrum upgrade and I will be stuck with it after that. But what I can say is that my dealer took care of my needs...and fast. Granted, there was no air time on the bird, but there was no sending me another set of props or dragging it on and on like some others have been reporting.

My suggestion is: If you are going to buy a phantom...if you really have to have one....buy from a reputable RC Hobby Store. At least you have the advantage of talking to someone who knows and understands the hobby if nothing else.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik