Warm up light

Reaction score
How long would one consider normal for the blinking yellow warm up light to take. The Phantom is room tempature but is is only 40f out side. Also I have been getting 2 yellow blinking lights during flight yet all seams fine.

kwolters said:
How long would one consider normal for the blinking yellow warm up light to take. The Phantom is room tempature but is is only 40f out side. Also I have been getting 2 yellow blinking lights during flight yet all seams fine.

are you flying in GPS mode? or ATTI?

Best to start up in GPS mode, and wait for the single green blinking light.
warmup times vary, but imagine it can take up to 5 minutes.

double green blink (which might be double yellow when flying ATTI) while flying means the joysticks are being moved and there's input going to the MC.

RE: Best to start up in GPS mode,

May I add to the above phrase that but you should take off in ATTI mode.
Many have trouble taking off in GPS mode.

When I got my Phantom in January it was minus 10 or colder every day. It used to take around 6 to 7 minutes to warm up. The last few days it has been around +4 C and the Phantom still takes about 5 mins before the warming lights turns off.

Regarding the take off with or without GPS I cannot detect and difference in the way it behaves, easy whatever mode I choose.

Warming up a Phantom is somewhat a heat issue... but often it is an issue of how long it takes to get a 7 GPS lock. Many people today's only exposure to GPS technology is within the cell phone they own. Cell phones use GPS but also use cell phone towers to help quickly triangulate your location. The addition of cell phone towers to the process really speeds things up.

I have been using GPS technology for a long time and a number of factors influence how long it takes to get a lock. Five to ten minutes is not unusual to wait to get a seven GPS lock. I am not sure if the phantom can store satellite locations when it is powered off like some GPS can. If it can you should notice that after your first flight if you quickly change batteries (within 20 min) you would get GPS lock much quicker then the first time.

Also if your in a urban environment with many tall building around and only a limited view of the sky it is often impossible to get a good GPS lock.

Well, I agree with you on the GPS sattellite lock on different gadgets, but what I can read from the lights on the Phantom is that it locks real fast to more than 6 sats, thats when the red lights stop blinking, but still it takes 2-5 more minutes before the warmup is finished. If you look at the manual you will find that is two different things going on inside the Phantom, the warmup and the sat lock. :)
Strange really, because when I do fire up my other quads, all with Naza & GPS, they lock on to sats just as fast as the Phantom, but they do not have the warmup issue. I was under the impression that a Phantom was just a DJI FlameWheel 450 with clothes on, but they are different beasts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl