Warm hands using DJI app in the cold. -How to-

Reaction score
Hi, with this especially bitter cold we're having this winter (at least in NYC) . Flying your Phantom 2 Vision while being able to make full use of your Vision camera features can be tricky at best without having frozen palms.

With regular gloves you can't control a devices capacitive touch screen without taking them off. I have a few different options that you can use to keep your fingers warm while having fun with your flying camera.

Option 1) Use Capacitive touch gloves. You can get them in varying styles and thicknesses. I got a pair and they work great. Just look up the search term "capacitive touch gloves" and you'll find many results.

Option 2) use a capacitive touch stylus. With the capacitive touch styles you can be free to use any style glove you want and just use the pen shaped stylus to control the camera tilt, photo / video button and everything else. Only down side is it's more fiddly having to reach for the pen whenever you need it. One idea may be to affix it to the side of your controller using Velcro.

Option 3) You can buy a capacitive touch thread on it's own. If you have sewing skills you can turn any pair of gloves into capacitive touch gloves by stitching a few of the fingers with the thread making sure that there's enough to make contact to your fingers on the inside.

Anyway that's about it. I am sure some of you may have thought of at least one of these two options already. But for those of you still using your Phantoms with cold hands fear no more, salvation is here! Fly Warm my friends!

P.S. Don't wear very thick or stiff gloves while controlling your Phantom as that can be a detriment to your ability to accurately feel the control sticks.

+1 on the capacitive touch gloves. Got a pair for Christmas and took them out flying for the first time today (**** weather). Not at all cold compared to the US at the moment, but it was about 7 degrees C plus some windchill, and the person with me was complaining of very cold hands after a short while. Mine were toasty and performance on the screen was superb - no problem hitting the icons, it was no different to using naked fingers. :) More importantly they didn't get in the way of using the Tx normally either. Not sure how they'd fare in really cold weather, but given the length of time a battery lasts even a small breeze can get the hands very cold holding a controller without gloves for that length of time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj