Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Wanted - Damaged, non useable Phantom 3 Gimbal Upper

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JKDSensei, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JKDSensei

Looking for a damaged Phantom 3 Professional or Advanced Gimbal upper section.

I do not need the camera, motors or arms (lower section). Just the square box above the camera.

I just want to open it and see how it's put together.

If you don't mind taking it apart and sending me some pics of the way everything is mounted and what would be involved in taking it apart and putting it back together then maybe we could work something out.

2. hunch

here is the P2 gimbal i shot a video of while taking it apart and back together.
    P3 is very similar but has two cable connections inside.
    if you need a video of P3 i can make another one.

JKDSensei likes this.
  3. JKDSensei

Excellent. Do you happen to have a P3 gimbal mainboard that you could post a hi-res pic of?
    Particularly around the SD Card slot.
    Thanks!

4. hunch

i'll post it in a little bit
    P3P or A board. they are slightly different

JKDSensei likes this.
  5. JKDSensei

The A board actually at this time.

Really appreciate it Hunch.

6. hunch

here you go.
    let me know if you need more
    IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

JKDSensei likes this.
  7. JKDSensei

Holy Smokes Hunch !!!!!!!!!!!

Those are EXACTLY what I needed.

YOU sir are the kind of person that makes this forum what it is !

Thank you for taking the time to do that.

I owe you.

8. JKDSensei

Would you say that opening the gimbal mainbord assembly to remove the board pictured above (and disconnecting the ribbon cable) is fairly straight forward or very difficult?

9. dmiles

I've done a few of these, so I might be able to provide some info. For me, opening up the case and even pulling that board is a piece of cake. The issue I have been having is with those connectors that the ribbon cables plug in to. Getting the ribbon cables plugged in so they are making good contact can be a bit difficult, but my biggest problem is with those clips that are supposed to hold tension on the cable. The first one I did, one of those clips popped completely out while I was trying to open it to remove the cable. Then you can try putting a piece of tape on it to try and hold it in, but I haven't found a way that I would trust to fix something like that. And the one on the board that is in the camera itself is even worse. It's wider, and even more poorly made.

I'm convinced that these things were made in such a way as to strongly discourage doing any kind of field repair. I've done component level troubleshooting on x-ray equipment for 35 years, and I've never seen anything so difficult to repair as these gimbals. In my opinion, these things were designed to be thrown away if damaged in a crash. I've gotten better with practice, but I've ruined a couple of these connectors along the way.

JKDSensei likes this.
  10. hunch

well i am at the point where i can have fully assembled gimbal with a torn cable and i can take the whole thing apart and replace the cable and have it back together inside 20 minutes. :)

i guess taking apart over 600 of these in 12 months gave me the muscle memory in my fingers LOL!

11. BuckRogers

I'm actually looking for that board for a phantom 3 pro. The connector leading to the camera broke off on mine. Send pm if any leads

12. hunch

i have several and i think i already PMed you also.

13. James Cole

Hello Hunch I want to replace the top plate because of a scratch, could you sell me the plate that has the four holes in it without gimbal or anything?

Attached Files:

14. Ian Welsh

Hi Hunch, I have a problem with the SD slot on my Phantom 3 advanced which is still under warranty. It now fails to secure the card as if the lock on it has failed. With your experience of dismantling this part can you say if it is likely to be a home fix or has it got to go to DJI? Thanks Ian

15. kingovo

I have a gimbal for a phantom 1