Want to do my first flight today!

Reaction score
I just bought the Phantom 2 with H3-3D yesterday, and set it all up.. Calibrated all the sticks, the imu, and kept it in phantom mode. I also updated all the firmware! If I do decide to go fly today I'm planning on doing a compass calibration at the field away from any interference..

When I set the p2 on a flat surface like my tough case to take off, and turn on the p2, what lights am I looking for that tells me all systems are a go, and I'm ready to take off in the most beginner mode possible..

Thanks for any help, dbolner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In phantom mode you will see the back leds flash yellow while looking for satellites, once those lights flash green constantly than that means it has a hold of enough satellites to save a home point and you can start flying, good luck

Sana

I would definitely recommend sticking with Phantom mode, it's just easier. There should have been a card attached to your RC which explains the light blink patterns. When you first turn the Phantom on (also turn on the RC right away) the rear LEDs should be blinking yellow. after some time (anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two) they should blink rapidly green... this indicates the Phantom has established a GPS "home point". if your phantom loses touch with the controller or goes into failsafe mode (for example battery too low) it will attempt to fly back to that home point and land.

As you fly, the green lights on the phantom will blink, that's normal. the first battery warning (default 30%) will cause those lights to go red. at that point basically head home, land, swap battery whatever. If you keep flying and reach critical battery level (default 15%) the lights will all begin flashing red rapidly and the phantom will enter failsafe and land itself.

You can also configure the right switch on the remote to trigger failsafe using the Phantom Assistant software. This can be handy if you get really far away or for a variety of reasons and you just want it to fly back to the home point itself. If Failsafe is triggered via the remote (switch or lose signal ie batteries die or RC is turned off) the normally green lights on the phantom will blink rapid yellow. note: if you're triggering failsafe via the switch you can flip the switch back up and regain control at any time and the LEDs will turn green again.
I use failsafe all the time when I want it to fly itself back overhead or descend on it's own for a bit. The newer firmware limits descent to 2 meters/sec... so if you're up at 150, 200 or more meters that can be quite a while of just boring *** descending so I let failsafe do that for me sometimes.
keep in mind now that pushing your flight time into low battery levels is very dangerous if you're up high and loaded with a gopro, etc. with the 2m/s limited descent you could theoretically run out of battery before you can land. basically my advise is get multiple batteries and be conservative. better to land, swap batteries, go home and charge than try to push a few more minutes of high flight and crash the thing :)

happy flying! oh and another piece of valuable advice most newbies get wrong: don't try to take off "gently". if you slowly raise the throttle trying to take off gently most times you'll have a tipover and break a prop or something. When you're ready to take off give it full throttle take off authoritatively and then back off and hover at a comfortable altitude (1-2m)

dbolner said:
I just bought the Phantom 2 with H3-3D yesterday, and set it all up.. Calibrated all the sticks, the imu, and kept it in phantom mode. I also updated all the firmware! If I do decide to go fly today I'm planning on doing a compass calibration at the field away from any interference..

When I set the p2 on a flat surface like my tough case to take off, and turn on the p2, what lights am I looking for that tells me all systems are a go, and I'm ready to take off in the most beginner mode possible..

Thanks for any help, dbolner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all want to help beginners but you are not doing yourself any favours by not reading the manual where all is explained. It also begs the question what else have you missed by not reading the manual. You risk loosing your craft, crashing it our hurting someone or property unless you understand how to fly it properly. Forums are no excuse for not reading manuals. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but this is reality. If you have genuine problems then most people will help you, with enthusiasm, including me.

Safe flying, and have fun!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers