WalMart and drones...

So will it be Amazon or Walmart to be first to bring UAV deliveries? :flushed:

I say Walmart they have more ties to are wonderful government that works for the people :p

Reactions: Raja777m and Goldni
I'd also say Amazon. They are more into it. But Amazon is spread through more countries and will certainly have legal issues in some of them

I say Amazon. They've been working on it longer, have tested their drones and more time and money invested in drones at this point.
I don't believe this matters. People jump on the bandwagon and come out with products ahead of others all the time. For example, Apple was rumored to come out with a smart watch, so a boatload of companies jumped on the bandwagon and rushed their smartwatches to market ahead of Apple just to be "first".

I don't see Walmart doing this. I don't even shop at Walmart, so I could care less. Amazon is another story.

I don't see Walmart doing this. I don't even shop at Walmart, so I could care less. Amazon is another story.
I've read some news release that Wal Mart was thinking of using DJI products to fly to a "pickup parking lot" to deliver goods to customers. It does not sound like a novel idea, or one providing much benefit like Amazon's Prime Air concept. But who knows, I guess we will see. As someone mentioned, Wal Mart is near most neighborhoods. If they could add online shopping and air delivery via drone, I would probably be a customer once to at least see a drone drop a package at my doorstep.

I've read some news release that Wal Mart was thinking of using DJI products to fly to a "pickup parking lot" to deliver goods to customers. It does not sound like a novel idea, or one providing much benefit like Amazon's Prime Air concept. But who knows, I guess we will see. As someone mentioned, Wal Mart is near most neighborhoods. If they could add online shopping and air delivery via drone, I would probably be a customer once to at least see a drone drop a package at my doorstep.

I agree with you, I would order some stuff just to see it be delivered. I just don't think the concept, by any company is going to make it very far. Amazon has been talking about this for like what 2-3 years now? We have yet to see them move into actually do this, except for videos..

I agree with you, I would order some stuff just to see it be delivered. I just don't think the concept, by any company is going to make it very far. Amazon has been talking about this for like what 2-3 years now? We have yet to see them move into actually do this, except for videos..
Competitors drive new practices.....Amazon is cutting into many retailers, to include Wal Mart. They have to do something, or shrink, which they have already started by closing stores in some areas.

this wont happen for the next 10-20 years. too many issues to solve that fast, and not worth it. they would have to set up centers every 10-20 miles to be able to do this, and have to avoid being shot down, have to be able to have a long flight time and recharge quickly, and if a house is covered in trees, then how does it do it then? if a gust of wind pushes it into a tree, which will not be uncommon, who will get it? so many issues with this that shipping is cheaper and easier

this wont happen for the next 10-20 years. too many issues to solve that fast, and not worth it. they would have to set up centers every 10-20 miles to be able to do this, and have to avoid being shot down, have to be able to have a long flight time and recharge quickly, and if a house is covered in trees, then how does it do it then? if a gust of wind pushes it into a tree, which will not be uncommon, who will get it? so many issues with this that shipping is cheaper and easier

standard obstacles in evolution. sure it would be cheaper, but life would never progress if we just gave up on something because it was too difficult.

- centers every 10 - 20 miles. this world is populated pretty well in every city to have a starting point of this project
- avoid being shot down. well, not many people can shoot in the city and get away with it. sure it might happen once in a while, but so do gangster shootings, every day
- long flight time. it takes what, 8 minutes to fly 3 miles roughly and that's just a p3p not designed to do this task. with all of the battery mods you read about on here, some reaching upwards of 45 minute flight times, add weight and make other changes, I'm guessing you could reach most places within a city limit within 30 minutes, round trip
- recharge quickly, not an issue, use more than one drone
- houses covered in trees. obstacle avoidance, or have a designated drop off location such as they do for apartment complexes and condos
- gust of wind pushing it into a tree. maybe there are days where you just have to settle for the old carrier fashion of delivery and not expect your bottle of wine on a rainy night

the point is, we've had issues with life for ever and we have thinkers that have found ways around these issues. wright brothers, thomas edison, bill gates and steve jobs, neil armstrong...

sure it's not going to be easy, but if it was, what fun would it be...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik