Walkera gimbal - horrible jello effect

robinb said:
I have tried putting in the hero camera and the stock camera and getting horrible jello effect.

The bushes that came with the gimbal are very stiff and unforgiving, I wonder if that is the problem. ?

Or any other ideas please ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa53zphx9u8

wow, thats amazingly bad. I just got my new walkera gimbal and it works perfectly now. (had to replace my old one)

Can you take pictures of your setup from different angles? I'd like to see how its installed.

edit:

Oh, also, if you are using custom non DJI props, BALANCE THEM!
If you are using the vision props, balance them as well.
As a stock test, use the standard fc40 props if you arent.

I have noticed that even with balanced vision props, I get a slight vibration effect on my gimbal. But its completely steady with the stock fc40 props

edit 2:
After watching your video closer, get rid of the prop guards too. And those props definitely dont look stock. I'm feeling its more of a balance issue.

Thats interesting that you say the rubber dampers (i think thats what you meant when you said bushes) where very stiff and unforgiving. With the Walkeras i got, they were both very soft, even to the point of flimsy.

It is horrible.

I am really thinking about the rubber balls is cause due to there stiffness.

pics attached.

Attachments

• DSCF3711.JPG
    DSCF3711.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCF3712.JPG
    DSCF3712.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 861
  • DSCF3713.JPG
    DSCF3713.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 797
  • DSCF3714.JPG
    DSCF3714.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 793
robinb said:
I will check to see what it is, no glue used.

whtever that is, it's pressing down on the damper and looks stiff.

I'm willing to bet that might be THE cause or part of the the cause of your jello

edit:

I just zoomed into that from photoshop.
It looks like that dampers top is broken off and the damper itself is glued onto the bracket!!

I wonder if they sold you a used gimbal!

No it was a new gimbal.

However your are right the ball is broken and lost its top, the "stuff" is something that got wedged into the gap.

I know it was not broken when I got it but they balls were not at all flexible and in fact I complained to the seller who is sending me another set of balls direct from walkera. But they are on a slow boat from china and are taking ages to arrive.

I am sure this does not help in the slightest, well spotted.

robinb said:
No it was a new gimbal.

However your are right the ball is broken and lost its top, the "stuff" is something that got wedged into the gap.

I know it was not broken when I got it but they balls were not at all flexible and in fact I complained to the seller who is sending me another set of balls direct from walkera. But they are on a slow boat from china and are taking ages to arrive.

I am sure this does not help in the slightest, well spotted.

you might be better of paying $5 for other dampers
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ar ... s&_sacat=0

those are US sellers. (it's always good to have extras and of different types laying around)

The ARRIS dampers are large and stiff, but they are quality stuff. They might work out well for you. Your choice.
You could have it in 3 days from a US seller :)

I've noticed with mine that i have to add some weight ( like a 3 inch screw ) the vibration goes away.
I believe the gimbal is setup for a gopro or something similar to the weight of it
If that didn't work,try to attach the camera close as possible to the gimbal camera plate(where you attach the camera to)
hope it works

I think you're definitely seeing the result of bushings that are meant to support the weight of a gopro and you're hanging a much lighter camera on them. You could add weight, or find some softer bushings.

i put new bushings on and the jello effect is just as bad.

I am going to try to add some extra weight to the gimbal

Add weight.

Also the gimbal should be level when it is simply hanging. It's constantly having to work to stay level at the moment.see if you can move your camera and adjust it. When I first tried i had to selotape a bolt to the side of the mount to keep it level.

chrisc said:
Add weight.

Also the gimbal should be level when it is simply hanging. It's constantly having to work to stay level at the moment.see if you can move your camera and adjust it. When I first tried i had to selotape a bolt to the side of the mount to keep it level.

Thanks chris I will do.
Need to get some lead weights off friend.

Did you get the gimbal tobe level with a hero camera ?
If I put one on it still falls to one side or another

robinb said:
chrisc said:
Add weight.

Thanks chris I will do.
Need to get some lead weights off friend.

Did you get the gimbal tobe level with a hero camera ?
If I put one on it still falls to one side or another

dont be stingy. Anything will work i it adds weight. You can even scotch tape a small screw or 2 to the side just for testing purposes

double stick like they use to stick on auto trim works great. I have some 3M stuff holding on a thick strip of lead behind my FC40 cam. Seems to work.

2014fc40 said:
double stick like they use to stick on auto trim works great. I have some 3M stuff holding on a thick strip of lead behind my FC40 cam. Seems to work.

Here we have stick on lead balance weights, just need to see a friend who has it.

I was going to get 50 grams off him and try a 30 g to start with.

You should only need 30-40 grams to match a gopro, but the CG and distribution aren't the same either, so you may need to fuss with it a little.

robinb said:
Ok the jello is almost all gone, it seems to appear when pitch is at certain angles.

This is with 15 grams on.

http://youtu.be/G4tnT5rzwgc

much better.

Also try various setups.
Lock removing the prop guards
Using stock props (if you arent)

Also, switch to ATTI mode.
ATTI mode almost eliminated vibrations (not jello) for me. GPS makes a lot of little twitch adjustments

Nice video Robinb. Looks like a great place to fly. I could almost make out your license plate. lol.

Stranger still, we look a lot alike. :D

Takes one to know one I guess.

My hats off to both you and Ash. You've really helped me get this thing figured out. My Walkera is working really well now.
I can't say about jello though, haven't flown since I got the gimbal. I'll def get out Sunday to try it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20