Walkera G-2d wiring after small fire.

Reaction score
Hi guys. Feeling a bit stupid having to ask this question as it was my ignorance causing this. Basically I have recently tried to install an immersion vtx and ezosd tuning of my go pro on a gimbal. The problem arose when I connected everything together. I have two jst connectors on the aux power lead from the quad powering the gimbal and vtx. When I went to fire it up the first time this wire burst into flames and I very quickly pulled the plug. My guess is that the immersion wanted power at a too high voltage than the wire could supply? I have since switched to the ezosd voltage sensor power out for the vtx. Was just wondering if instead of replacing the aux power can I just wire the gimbal into an esc? Which would be much simpler to do....I know I always should of just ran the vtx from the osd but decided against it for some reason... Thanks in advance!

Check very carefully for shorts or wrong polarity, because the VTX pulls fairly low current - less than 1A, so it would not cause a fire on even the thinnest piece of wire if working correctly.

I would not suggest just connecting it up to a large supply without working out what is wrong and correcting it first.

I'd solder a couple leads to the board's main power supply and put a fuse inline with the + wire as close to where you tapped in as possible. You can then run whatever you want off that. Use some sort of fast acting 1A or 2A automotive style fuse to protect that circuit. Get a fuse holder for it and find a way to externally mount the holder and fuse so you can easily get to it in case it blows. Get creative with it.

Cheers guys! All sorted now. Luckily for me it was a short as the first thing I did after this problem was pull the wire out and boot the quad up to make sure it wasn't dead. Replaced the wire with one designated for the gimbal. Run the vtx from my osd now too. Have managed to replace the aux lead now too.

Why? Is it quite a common thing for these to short?

Depends on the installation. Things rub together, short out and cause fires like you just experienced. Stuff happens.

I like to do things safely. If you had a fuse inline with your accessories nothing would have caught fire. The fuse would have blown, you would have lost video and gimbal control instantly after firing it up and that would have been that. No fires, burnt fires, or anything.

But to each their own. Glad you found your problem. Happy flying.

Fair play. Thanks for the advise. I'll look into fusing it. I guess it would go on the vcc line?

I mean, it's not necessary, since I'm sure there are hundreds of unprotected phantoms flying around just fine. But I like to err on the side of safety.

Probably the nastiest example I can give you about fusing is of a car audio install where the owner did in fact fuse the power wire, but he installed the fuse about a foot away from where it hooked into the amplifier. That fuse did him no good when the insulation on the power wire was rubbed through by the hack job he did to his firewall, which ended up starting a fire in his engine bay because the wire from the firewall back to the battery must have turned cherry red and caught whatever plastic it was touching on fire.

Pretty mean what an 800 cranking amp battery can do with 4 gauge wire.

As far as which wire to hook the fuse into, it'll be whichever one is the positive leg. More than likely the red wire. That's the one you want to fuse as close to the power tap as possible.

Green_Phantom said:
I'd solder a couple leads to the board's main power supply and put a fuse inline with the + wire as close to where you tapped in as possible. You can then run whatever you want off that. Use some sort of fast acting 1A or 2A automotive style fuse to protect that circuit. Get a fuse holder for it and find a way to externally mount the holder and fuse so you can easily get to it in case it blows. Get creative with it.

:D Great idea, thanks for sharing :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31