Wait, now the battery is too hot to charge?

How are people having to wait an hour before charging? Are you leaving them in the sun, in the desert? Even when I was flying at high elevation (over 1 mile) in around 85F weather (elevation = less air to cool the battery and higher energy burn to keep airborne) I just put it in front of a fan for 10 minutes and it was good to go.
Dave, no desert for me. I've just been flying for 20 minutes or so in relatively cool air (75 degrees) near Sacramento. When I remove the battery, it feels warm but I wouldn't say particularly hot. It has taken between 30-40 minutes before the battery will start charging again. I won't go as far as using a refrigerator or a freezer as some do, but I will start using some sort of fan as you noted.

+1 on the fan. heat dissipation by moving air should work way faster (with no potential of condensation) than placing it in a refrigerator. just like soup.

I had mentioned this before in another thread, but in my experience, if I turn the battery on before charging, it starts to charge immediately even when very warm. I wouldn't make this a regular practice cause u could end up doing some damage to the cells. The charger starts to feed the battery 4.5 amps and when the cells are warm, that much amperage will make them warmer and the cells do not like this.

I had mentioned this before in another thread, but in my experience, if I turn the battery on before charging, it starts to charge immediately even when very warm. I wouldn't make this a regular practice cause u could end up doing some damage to the cells. The charger starts to feed the battery 4.5 amps and when the cells are warm, that much amperage will make them warmer and the cells do not like this.
I tried this last week before I understood what was happening. When I connected the battery, it momentarily showed via its LEDs to be charging normally. After a couple of seconds it just went right back to the too hot indication. Since then I just let it cool just to be safe.

I tried this last week before I understood what was happening. When I connected the battery, it momentarily showed via its LEDs to be charging normally. After a couple of seconds it just went right back to the too hot indication. Since then I just let it cool just to be safe.
Did u try turning it off first, back on again and then on the charger?

I have put my battery in the frig at home and it's ready to charge in about 5 minutes or so. I also flew one day. Packed up and held the battery to the AC and about 5 or 10 minutes travel time, It was ready to charge when I got home. I ordered more batteries, but I think I'll probably pack a cooler with drinks and a couple of baggies to double bag it and throw it in the cooler to cut the wait time. I'm also gong the inverter route when the time comes.

OK, this is really ridiculous. Just flew it until the battery drained. It has been 52 minutes since it has been off. It is still registering as too warm to charge. This is an extremely big issue for a drone that has no extra batteries for sale. So basically, you cannot recharge AT your location if you have 4 batteries because by the time you've used all 4, your 1st STILL won't even be able to do the 45 minute CHARGE yet? It takes over an hour for your battery to cool down? Do we have to travel with ice packs!?!?

I ran into this same issue and found a suitable workaround. I live in the northeast where it hasn't become very warm yet. But... if your charging in a car in anywhere else that the sun can radiate directly on the battery or create a greenhouse effect you're going to be waiting a long time before it starts charging. When I charge from the car I make sure the car isn't hot... open a window, park in the shade, etc. Then I'll make sure there's no sunlight on the battery and lastly, if it's still too warm, charge it on the ground beneath the car. Other things I've done to speed it up as one other member mentioned is put it in front of a fan to cool it... I've used the AC in the car.

Lithium is a dangerous element. These batteries are high-tech and heat ruins them as well as releases amazing amounts of energy (heat/fire) when they fail. The P3 uses a serious amount of energy from a very small energy source. The battery is struggling to keep up with demand over the 20min period it's being asked to. Once it's done... it's truly exhausted. It either needs to rest and return to a safe state at it's own rate or with some help, but it does need to cool.

I know this isn't good news, but it is what it is. LiPo is dangerous and delicate. These limitations are because these are real risks.

~K

Did you experience the warm battery after the update?
Yes, even after the update. Ambient temperature was under 80F. I just got my replacement P3 today and will watch closely with my infra red thermometer at the ready to verify the actual battery temperature when I test fly it tomorrow. Your results are encouraging. I have had some mysterious things going on with one of my P2 batteries. It drops voltage suddenly and gives not enough power to return home message even though it shows more than enough voltage to continue flying. It only has about 30 cycles and should not be doing that. I will check with DJI and see what they say. It is under warranty because I bought it along with the P2 directly from them.

Did u try turning it off first, back on again and then on the charger?
Hi Alex. I powered down the P3A after a flight, drove home about 5 minutes, removed the battery which was still off, turned on the battery while out of the P3A, then plugged the battery in the charger. It appeared normal for a moment as if it was starting a normal charging cycle, but then seconds later it just went to the HOT indication on the LEDs.

been having this problem in Maui, my resolution is putting infront of the AC right where the charging port is for 5 mins or so right after flight charges no problem after.

when im flying from my patio here I just stick it in the fridge for a few minutes and works like a champ, ive logged 55 flights here in maui since Friday battery charges to 100% still according to the app.

I drove the road to HANA yesterday stopped every 30miutes or so and flew the waterfalls then immediately charged the battery after each flight. ive pretty much chalked this battery up for a loss since I have 4 on order. but so far it seems to be taking it no problem what so ever no effect on flight times what so ever

I stick mine in the freezer for 5 min. I dont know if it damages the "not so smart" functions of the battery thou or the LIPOness of the battery LOL

been having this problem in Maui, my resolution is putting infront of the AC right where the charging port is for 5 mins or so right after flight charges no problem after.

when im flying from my patio here I just stick it in the fridge for a few minutes and works like a champ, ive logged 55 flights here in maui since Friday battery charges to 100% still according to the app.

I drove the road to HANA yesterday stopped every 30miutes or so and flew the waterfalls then immediately charged the battery after each flight. ive pretty much chalked this battery up for a loss since I have 4 on order. but so far it seems to be taking it no problem what so ever no effect on flight times what so ever
I'd love to see some of the video!

Reactions: Julius717

Did you do a break in procedure?

Did you do a break in procedure?

nope, ive used LIPO batteries in my RC cars im familiar with them, ive never once "broke in " a battery and ever once had a issue. I run 6s packs on my 1/8th scale buggy that does 104mph and weighs 18lbs I run it balls to the wall and charge right after been using same batteries for ever.

one thing i have done during this trip is to remember once in a while to just do a total battery drain every 10 flights or so. ill run down to the warning and fly home. but like i said i already assumed id kill this battery during this trip so i didn't really worry about it. if i had all 5 of my batteries i wouldn't have had to do this.

Reactions: Apparition
nope, ive used LIPO batteries in my RC cars im familiar with them, ive never once "broke in " a battery and ever once had a issue. I run 6s packs on my 1/8th scale buggy that does 104mph and weighs 18lbs I run it balls to the wall and charge right after been using same batteries for ever.

one thing i have done during this trip is to remember once in a while to just do a total battery drain every 10 flights or so. ill run down to the warning and fly home. but like i said i already assumed id kill this battery during this trip so i didn't really worry about it. if i had all 5 of my batteries i wouldn't have had to do this.
Good to know, thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers