Wait, now the battery is too hot to charge?

Reaction score
Seriously? Simply from trying to update for an hour, I couldn't charge it (3-blink on LED 4) because it's too hot. I thought it had something to do with it not being fully drained, so I ran it down by flying it for a bit... and of course, I still can't charge the battery because the temperature is too high.

This wasn't an issue with the P2... how long do you have to wait until you can recharge a battery!??! This is beyond exhausting considering they have no extra batteries for sale until next month. Can you, uhm, put it in a fridge? Or is that even stupid to ask?

Alright, so in case anyone thinks they'll be able to have 3 batteries and start charging the first one once it runs down while using #2 and #3 - add in another 15-20 minutes of waiting for the battery to be cool enough to accept the charge.

!?!?!?

Then the normal 30-40 minutes to charge it. Anyone know why on earth this is necessary when it wasn't an issue for the P2 batteries?

Also, mind you... it's barely even warm.

Hmmm.... I had exactly the same occurrence doing the firmware update. What the heck is going to happen if it gets warm while flying??? I just put mine in front of a small fan and it cooled down pretty quickly so I could recharge it. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some of the battery limits parameters can be changed. I might want to set the temp setting a little higher if possible. I will check that tomorrow.

I'm sure they have a reason for having the temperature limit they do, but when the battery is barely warm and I can't recharge it... that makes no sense. The iPhone has the same setting - if it's in the sun it will basically gimp itself until the temperature comes down... then you can resume use or charge it - but the phone is BLISTERING.

Then again... my iPhone battery is pretty worthless after 6 months. lol

The alternative is no temp check and some momo burns downs his house with his 3 kids sleeping upstairs. As a corporation, I'd err on the side of caution ...

The alternative is no temp check and some momo burns downs his house with his 3 kids sleeping upstairs. As a corporation, I'd err on the side of caution ...

OK, this is really ridiculous. Just flew it until the battery drained. It has been 52 minutes since it has been off. It is still registering as too warm to charge. This is an extremely big issue for a drone that has no extra batteries for sale. So basically, you cannot recharge AT your location if you have 4 batteries because by the time you've used all 4, your 1st STILL won't even be able to do the 45 minute CHARGE yet? It takes over an hour for your battery to cool down? Do we have to travel with ice packs!?!?

We aren't talking about HOT batteries, we are talking about batteries that are just a little on the warm side. I will put my infra red thermometer on the next one I pull out just for grins. I am very familiar with the properties of lipos from r/c car racing, airplanes,heli's and now quads. I don't charge them when hot or even warm. Always a good idea to cool them down slowly before recharging. Heat is the enemy. That goes for all batteries. But I watch guys that r/c car race take them out and put them right back on charge regardless of the batteries temperature. Warm batteries perform better. But it does shorten their life span quite a bit.

Again my question is what happens when they actually get hot from flying? Are they going to shut down? We are just entering the warmer season and the worst is yet to come. That will be the real test. I already had a P2V+ 3.0 drop out of the sky from a motor burn up failure. Not looking forward to another one doing it for any reason.

Reactions: Duece
You are experiencing an issue no doubt but I can tell you having flown about 70-80 flights this is not a common problem with the P3 battery. Try and isolate what is causing the problem rather than immediately assume that it is another limitation with the P3. It may be helpful to see what your ambient temperatures were at the time and if the battery experienced a problem to feel that it is overheated or cause it to overheat. Maybe there is a problem?

I flew the P3 non stop for 90 minutes by cycling 2 batteries on a mountain top using a car invertor. I charged each battery rapidly using the P3 Pro fast charger and cycled over and over again. No issues with overheating. My ambient temp was 15 'C

Don't forget the P3 has a Lightbridge unit which gets extremely hot. If the P3 is kept stationary and left powered on it will get hot very quickly as it is not been cooled by the airflow. Did you experience the warm battery after the update?

Reactions: jlo
It is a very cool 66F (18.8C) here in Los Angeles. I flew it for the maximum amount of time allowable (around 22 minutes) and once it was off I took out the battery and drove home. Hung out and talked for a bit and after about 45 minutes, went to charge it.

Too hot.

Again, the battery was barely warm. I have a pro (though nowhere on the charger says it's a fast charger, I assume it is) and it took until just past 1 hour to be able to charge it. That's insane. I'm not trying to slam the P3! I'm frustrated that this is going to kill my ability to shoot for long periods of time! I clocked it at 45 minutes to charge (how is that fast - that's what my P2 was) so that means after one battery dies... it will take 1 hour and 45 minutes before it's ready. <blink> At 20 minutes of flight time, that means I would need 6 batteries to have a cycle going while charging. That's an insane amount. If not for the cool down period I could pull it off with 3 or 4.

If there's something I'm missing... please let me know.

Well we will have to wait and see if other P3 owners need to wait 1 hour for their batteries to cool between charges. I have had my P3 for over a month and flown it every day several times a day. I have not once had to wait for the battery to cool. Something may have changed with the fw update or you may have battery with a faulty temp sensor? I have not updated my FW from the day I got it so I don't know if this is a new issue.I have charged the battery over and over again and didn't notice any errors. I agree that waiting 1 hour for the battery to cool down is a real damper when you only got one to play with

Got mine yesterday and it's the same. Battery needs to cool for about an hour after flying it to 50%. I had to do the firmware update before it would fly so maybe it's the new firmware?
Btw P3P

Got mine yesterday and it's the same. Battery needs to cool for about an hour after flying it to 50%. I had to do the firmware update before it would fly so maybe it's the new firmware?
Btw P3P

We need to get some more people in on this. If the firmware update now suddenly lowers the temperature at which the battery WILL NOT CHARGE, we need to find a fix. It's taking upwards to an HOUR after flying to recharge a battery. The battery isn't even HOT! It's kinda warm, maybe? After 30 minutes, it's not even close to an issue... yet you still cannot recharge it.

I will eventually have 4 batteries total, and I assumed on a shoot I'd be able to charge after the first one dies and it would be ready after the 4th one dies... but alas, it's not even going to be close. I won't even be able to BEGIN charging until ALL FOUR are dead. Then wait another 45 minutes? This is a really big issue.

Saw this on other threads and the same thing... Looks to be a normal ~20min wait when it gets hot before you can do anything with it.

I'll try to find the thread...

Reactions: BrewserB
I can handle 20 minutes... I mean, maybe I bring a cooler with some ice packs in it. But over an hour just killlllllllls it. Clearly there's a temperature reading in the firmware that has been lowered in comparison to every other version of the phantom. I had the 2 and it was able to be recharged... IMMEDIATELY. How could it be so different now?

Have you read my previous post i just solve the problem by put it in the refrigirator In thailand 35 c. now

Have you read my previous post i just solve the problem by put it in the refrigirator In thailand 35 c. now

If I'm at home near a fridge, this isn't an issue. If I'm on location and need to shoot for several hours - I need the ability to charge and rotate the batteries. With the P2 I could pull it off with 3 batteries. I'd charge the 1st dead battery with one charger and the 2nd dead battery with another charger and by the time I was done with battery 3? 1 was ready. And so on and so on... There was no waiting with the P2 batteries - so this new wrinkle is really making things difficult.

Fairly certain it's a different evolution of the lithium battery... That's why, i think.... the P2 wont work with the P3... it's a power volume issue due to the new motors and the lightbridge... hmmm...

Still looking for the thread that showed the data... I might be able to explain it but I'm fairly tipsy and don't wanna ;P

The P3 battery is almost certainly a different chemistry than the P2 battery.

Charge volts per cell: P3= 4.375v; P2= 4.20v
Reported volts/cell charged: P3= 4.35; P2= 4.18v

My first flight in my P3 resulted in an "almost too hot to touch" battery. But after 5 flights, it's coming out much cooler. I don't know if that's breaking it in, but I suspect it is getting the internal chemical structures "lined up" for better conductance by cycling it.

By the way- I'm not following the "only discharge 1/2 way for 10 cycles" regimen. These batteries are only discharging at a bit over 3C. That's not taxing them at all. I think DJI has done a lot of homework in the development of these "smart" batteries. They say to discharge the batteries all the way after 10 cycle until the P3 won't turn on. That just seems inconsistent with the "baby the new battery" approach.

Now to Adam's problem. I think he's right. It appears the recharge temperature limit is too aggressive. Might be variation in the sensitivity of the sensor from one battery to another. Maybe it can be changed with a battery firmware update. We won't know until more batteries get into people's hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.