Vufine wearable display first impression and mini review

Reaction score
A short mini review for the vufine display. If you haven't seen these, the vufine is a monocular display with 1 mini-screen that takes any 720p HDMI output. It's small and portable and clips to your glasses or sunglasses. I got this for my P3P in the hopes that it would help survey flying. They are quite affordable, but by the time you add the HDMI module for your P3 pro (or advanced) RC, you are getting to about 240 UK pounds.

They really are plug-and-play. Get the adapter for the mini HDMI port, install everything, fire up the P3 and voila! It just works. If you have an Inspire, then I think it just works straight out of the box. It takes a bit of adjusting to get the display to a good spot in front of your right eye but once there it's amazingly clear. The image is bright and crisp, even with sunglasses. The colours are superb and you can adjust the exposure without looking at the tablet. You can even read all the data from the OSD. So in the end after lift off, you no longer need the tablet. It does take a bit of practice to switch from focussing on the P3 to the screen. In the end I would just blink my left eye. Other good thing is that there is no sun glare.

Only minor drawbacks I see are that 1) this is not FPV. If you want FPV, just spend a bit more for proper goggles. But for me it's more about direct access to my telemetry, exposure and image frame. Drawback 2) is that the magnetic clip for the glasses uses a tough rubber strap that stretches around your frame. For my Oakley's it is stretched very tight and I'm a bit worried that it will wear down prematurely. But I guess we'll see. I'll try to get a spare. Other thing that really isn't quite a drawback is that having this thing in front of your eye does spoil the fun of flying a bit. So I find that this is more for technical flying.

So if you want easy and quick access to your flight data and want to get rid of that clunky sun-shade and if you want to be accurate when adjusting your frames and exposures without looking at the tablet, try these. If you want cheap FPV or if you just enjoy watching your rig zoom around the sky, I'd stay away.

Happy flying!
Pat

vufine-1.jpg

Looks very interesting. Does it work well enough to fly the Phantom at long range. I am not so bothered about the full FPV experience just want to see what is going on and avoid sunglare.

Not tried anything further out than 150m. I could certainly imagine flying under FPV regulations and having a spotter. Then the pilot can split his attention between the map on the tablet and the FPV view in the right eye.
P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20