VRS

Vortex ring state. Its bad news, its when you wash away good air below your props, your phantom will start to wobble and fall out of the air. When coming down always move either forward, back, left or right to prevent it.

Bad mojo! I hate descending in calm conditions. It's one of the reasons DJI restricts your decent speed. The faster you descend the more likely it will happen.

It's also known as the "Wobble of Death". If you see it happen forget about climbing, that will just make it worse. Give it some left or right rudder and pray.

Codacious said:
The funny thing is that I knew exactly what it was, I just didn't know the abbreviation meant. I was a meteorologist in the Marine Corps for 5 years, I am very familiar with aircraft and helicopters, just not in the RC sense, except for military grade UAV's.

So then you know it really means "Vertical Rototation Speed", right? :D

Codacious said:
I figured the reason for the site was to ask questions and share answers.

I don't think anyone has an issue with asking questions, but it does seem like some would benefit from doing a simple search before asking questions that have been asked and answered multiple times.

you can ask all the questions you want ....im sure many topics were discussed before but for people that just recently joined its not easy to dig into the forum to find what you need. Its much easier to post a new topic....if someone is annoyed that a new member has asked a question that was asked before then they should just add new info to the topic or dont post at all.....its simple really.....i am new pv2+ pilot and i sure as hell like to ask questions....so Codacious you can ask all the questions you want.....VRS is def a good topic....many new pilots would think increasing the throttle up would get you out of VRS. couple of days ago thats exactly what i thought......luckily ive not crashed my phantom yet and i think the reason for that is i read a lot of posts from experienced flyers....so to my fellow new flyers....KEEP READING and ask as many questions as you like

RedRyderMedia said:
Codacious said:
I figured the reason for the site was to ask questions and share answers.

I don't think anyone has an issue with asking questions, but it does seem like some would benefit from doing a simple search before asking questions that have been asked and answered multiple times.

+1 :)

himo said:
you can ask all the questions you want ....im sure many topics were discussed before but for people that just recently joined its not easy to dig into the forum to find what you need. Its much easier to post a new topic....if someone is annoyed that a new member has asked a question that was asked before then they should just add new info to the topic or dont post at all.....its simple really.....i am new pv2+ pilot and i sure as hell like to ask questions....so Codacious you can ask all the questions you want.....VRS is def a good topic....many new pilots would think increasing the throttle up would get you out of VRS. couple of days ago thats exactly what i thought......luckily ive not crashed my phantom yet and i think the reason for that is i read a lot of posts from experienced flyers....so to my fellow new flyers....KEEP READING and ask as many questions as you like

I see new questions asked all the time that I've seen countless times. I have no problems answering them, however when someone makes a point to say that they looked everywhere and couldn't find the answer and I not only have seen the answer in countless posts but also a quick google search reveals the answer in the first 6 hits. Well... That's my point, he must not have looked that hard... I'll be the first to admit that I'm sure I ask questions all the time that have already been answered. I just don't make a point to say I've looked everywhere and couldn't find it when a quick google search or thread search reveals the answer.

I hope the link I provided above was helpful. There is a lot good info in those YouTube videos regarding VRS.

While there is a lot of discussion of the subject, and that fact that it is bad juju, one needs to look around a bit to get an explanation which is easy to understand. I found an excellent explanation of vortex ring state (VRS), also known as "settling with power," right here.

Simply put, the most powerful downward air flow is toward the tips of the propellers. The least powerful downward airflow is in the center, at the axis. If you descend vertically and too fast, the air pressure from the descent forces air back up through the weaker axis area of the props, and eventually, you develop a useless cycling of air, downward at the tips of the props and back upward through the center. The result: no lift. The way to avoid that is to move forward, backward, or laterally, breaking that cycle of air flow.

Take-home lesson:
  • Direct vertical descent at high speed increases the likelihood of VRS.
  • Gradual descent at an angle reduces the likelihood of VRS.

Helicopters pilots tend to move forward as they descend. We have the luxury of moving forward, backward, or side-to-side, as long as we are breaking the cycle of air that creates the vortex rings.

Good points. I also heard that increasing throttle left stick up during a VRS will only make it worse. Always best to right stick out of it.

I, for one, appreciate questions like yours. Without doubt some lurker learned something about VRS today they didn't know. Don't let a few bitter people ruin the boards for you.

I, for one, appreciate questions like yours. Without doubt some lurker learned something about VRS today they didn't know. Don't let a few bitter people ruin the boards for you.
And that would be me... Thanks for the insight everyone...
Like a typical newbie...
I had no idea this could happen and know that if it happened to me (before reading this) i would probably have bit the lava... (live in HI)

Actually a few times I have made rapid decents - for the fun of it... and yeah have witnessed the wobbles... luckily i never lost control... will be far more conservative now knowing I could have crashed my bird...

Again mahalo for posting.

Aloha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20