Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

VRS is not fun!

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by WPSPETE, Sep 14, 2014.

1. WPSPETE

Flew my 35th flight tonight on a paragliding launch. I was coming in at 31% battery and all of a sudden it started to drop. At first I was thinking battery problem. Then it clicked that it was VRS. I was only about 20' off the ground and it was dropping fast. I kept my forward speed and pinned the throttle. I should have put more forward but it recovered at just under 10'. Scared the hell out of me. I was coming in with a light tailwind. Won't do that again.

2. Damon

Confirm on latest firmware, prop guards or not and stock props or CF. I have yet to experience it and hoping to recognize it to counter it as you did.

3. WPSPETE

Latest firmware, never had prop guards, stock props but not the latest ones. I think that tailwind was coming in slightly faster than I was moving. Pushing the dirty air where I was flying maybe. It wasn't fun and made me pucker. But glad I pulled out of it.

4. Damon

Good to know. I will definitely be more vigilant to monitor winds making sure to avoid travelling down with the tail wind.

5. Wedeliver

just wanted to ask if you had any more weight on it then gimbal and gopro?

6. WPSPETE

I have the fpv tx and iosd. But nothing other than that. This was my 35th flight and I have never had this problem. I was on top of a mountain thou. And it was cooling down, just last sunset. Maybe hit a downdraft? Probably not thou.

7. damoncooper

8. WPSPETE

That's a good read. I am usually really careful with avoiding VRS. Lapse in judgement yesterday maybe.