VR goggles with Mavic Pro

Reaction score
Goggles are no doubt the best FPV solution for flying a drone in strong daylight (rather than putting your head inside a big square sun-blocking box...).
It is also more fun to use because the viewing angle is much larger.

The current best solution (which I currently use with my Phantom) is a standard good quality eye-adjustable goggles (cost about US$10), plus Litchi app (costs about US$23). Regretfully, DJI did not offer an app which allows split-screen view (a must for using standard goggles with a smartphone inside). Also, there is nothing better than Litchi app by any other 3rd party.

Now with the Mavic Pro, DJI announced "DJI goggles". Limited specs were released but enough to understand that it will consist electronics (connecting directly with the drone) and possibly also the display. This means it will be quite expensive (usually the gross margin of DJI is quite high, especially on accessories).

My question:
Will DJI continue to not-release a split screen feature on the DJI GO app so as to 'force' people to buy the expensive DJI goggles?

My hope is that DJI will release this feature on the next DJI GO release, even at an extra cost (matching Litchi app cost).
And my hope is that DJI goggles (when will be released?) will offer something more advanced than what I can achieve today with standard goggles plus Litchi.

Hope to get a formal, honest and direct answer from DJI (rather than speculations from other readers here).

I want to know why some of these manufacturers who make these VR binocular goggles don't make non-binocular goggle that accepts typically sized phones. There would be no need for a split screen. There are plenty of options of this kind of goggle for FPV racers, but none that I've found are made to accept a phone as a screen. This seems like it would be the easiest and cheapest solution, and the image quality should be better since you aren't splitting the screen. I actually bought one of the cheap cardboard goggles designed to work with a 5" FPV screen and worked with it to get my phone to fit in it. Visually, it looked better than my VR goggles using Litchi, but my shoddy customization meant it fell apart after a few uses.

Last edited:
I would certainly like to get those goggles too but at $700 I think they are priced too high Can't you get the Mavic by itself for that price
Seems a bit much compared to the Mavic itself I would be more willing to pay in the $300 range but I am sure the die hards will gladly pay the premium
It is not about the money it is about the perceived value from my point of view
I have money it's time I don't have

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would certainly like to get those goggles too but at $700 I think they are priced too high Can't you get the Mavic by itself for that price
Seems a bit much compared to the Mavic itself I would be more willing to pay in the $300 range but I am sure the die hards will gladly pay the premium
It is not about the money it is about the perceived value from my point of view
I have money it's time I don't have

Where did you get that they are going to be $700? I haven't seen anything with a price yet.

I just spoke to chat support, I asked if there were plans to come out with an HDMI accessory for those with FPV goggles.
He said there wasnt currently any HDMI accessory .... yet.
I asked if that was a hint, he sent a wink emoticon.

Good news i think, i currently have Dominator V3's so it would be good to be able to use them with the Mavic

Oh I saw it on another thread on this site Someone found a preorder advertisement and asked about it and the salesperson was elusive then took down the sale but not before one of our members got a screen capture
The screen capture clearly showed $699.99 and to my eyes it looked legitimate Don't ask me to go hunting for that post I could not find it again if I tried let alone this one I'm sure somebody will be able to point the way shortly
My apologies

Just FYI there are some pretty cheap app options for the split screens. I've used one called simply "FPV" that was well under $10...i think maybe 7?

But on the subject of the OP's claimed "best solution," I've actually found myself wishing for a monocular, rather than goggles, for several reasons;

A. There is only one camera, so stereo viewing doesn't do much for you except block the rest of the world, which leads me to...

2. Having the other eye available for VLOS to the aircraft would be handy, safer, legal, etc

D. It would be smaller and lighter...appropriate to the Mav's packable size, and likely easier to flip out of the way for landing, closer maneuvers, whatever else you want both eyes for.

Reactions: scottoftheforest
I found the post over in the General Discussion part of this site by Agent Orange 2015 I don't know how to post that link but it is there

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic