VR FPV app for iPhone/Goggles?

What's the best and most comprehensive tutorial for Litchi on IOS for my P3adv? I'm having trouble using all the options.
FYI: I do not see the FPV icon for IOS as it shows on the Android app. I am looking forward to it though, with all the VR glasses that are available now for phones to clip on. It's the "not fully committed" man's HDMI alternative solution.

What's the best and most comprehensive tutorial for Litchi on IOS for my P3adv? I'm having trouble using all the options.
FYI: I do not see the FPV icon for IOS as it shows on the Android app. I am looking forward to it though, with all the VR glasses that are available now for phones to clip on. It's the "not fully committed" man's HDMI alternative solution.

I haven't seen a comprehensive all in one tutorial for Litchi on iOS. I've just been watching tutorials on specific features on YouTube. Like waypoints etc. unfortunately on iOS it doesn't support goggles yet. I contacted them and was told it will be available in the future but no eta.
I agree and don't see adding hdmi as any benefit at all unless you wanted to live stream to a tv or something. I wouldn't want a heavy bulky hdmi cable hanging from goggles. Not when I can just use a lightning cable. Plus why spend money on hdmi goggles when your phone gives you more options, like the camera tilting when you look down. I could be missing something with the hdmi option but so far it doesn't seem worth the extra money for less options and more cumbersome setup.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't seen a comprehensive all in one tutorial for Litchi on iOS. I've just been watching tutorials on specific features on YouTube. Like waypoints etc. unfortunately on iOS it doesn't support goggles yet. I contacted them and was told it will be available in the future but no eta.
I agree and don't see adding hdmi as any benefit at all unless you wanted to live stream to a tv or something. I wouldn't want a heavy bulky hdmi cable hanging from goggles. Not when I can just use a lightning cable. Plus why spend money on hdmi goggles when your phone gives you more options, like the camera tilting when you look down. I could be missing something with the hdmi option but so far it doesn't seem worth the extra money for less options and more cumbersome setup.

I guess HDMI gives you the advantage of using HDMI goggles with the GO app through the controller itself. But that's quite a price to pay if the simpler option works well enough for this hobbyist.

I guess HDMI gives you the advantage of using HDMI goggles with the GO app through the controller itself. But that's quite a price to pay if the simpler option works well enough for this hobbyist.

That makes sense. If you want to use the GO app. I'm in the same camp as you though. Plus I've kind of enjoyed using a few different apps. They all have their strengths. I'd imagine at some point DJI will release a firmware update for goggles, but who knows. I'm very happy there are inexpensive alternatives. I've really enjoyed using FPV Camera with the HooToo goggles. My big concern was having weak, or no OSD. I was pleasantly surprised with all the OSD options.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Did some programmed flights with Litchi today. It was awesome! Worked like a champ

6018740a7b2a5fc15113b46ca38b60fa.jpg

Well guys, just did a run with the HooToo goggles and the FPV Camera for DJI app and I gotta say, I'm impressed. It was $5 for the app and then another $7 or $8 to unlock the goggle mode. Definitely worth he purchase to me. Mainly due to the fact that it was smooth, and had tons of OSD options, which is great. And I loved how the camera would tilt down when I looked down etc. pretty cool. I posted a screen shot of what it looks like. I took it out about a half mile or so at about 450ft altitude. Performed like a champ. I still plan to use the DJI go app for serious filming and Litchi for programmed flights. But glad to have this one when I want to use goggles for a fully immersive experience. I'll know more as I get to know it better and play with the options, but feel free to ask any questions you may have

Thanks for posting the details. How do you access the OSD menu and options while wearing it?

You can use the wheels on the controller to scroll through options. But I get all my OSD stuff set before I fly so that I can just focus on the flight once I have the goggles on. Not a big need to tap around on the screen once I'm airborne.

Hey I'm just catching up here...I've got a bunch of flights in using an app simply called "FPV" (by visual vertigo) which works, but is pretty bare bones and finicky about the order everything is started. I'm awaiting updates to see if any of that gets any better.

My main complaint is the very sluggish tilt response (which seems to have both a low maximum rate and heavy easing)...it works ok and does result in smooth shots if I'm filming, but i'd be very interested if FPV Camera is any quicker. How's your experience been in flight? It is pretty stable? Can you specify any camera settings for the HUD?

Hey I'm just catching up here...I've got a bunch of flights in using an app simply called "FPV" (by visual vertigo) which works, but is pretty bare bones and finicky about the order everything is started. I'm awaiting updates to see if any of that gets any better.

My main complaint is the very sluggish tilt response (which seems to have both a low maximum rate and heavy easing)...it works ok and does result in smooth shots if I'm filming, but i'd be very interested if FPV Camera is any quicker. How's your experience been in flight? It is pretty stable? Can you specify any camera settings for the HUD?

It seems stable to me, but our needs and flying styles may be different. But there are some settings within the app to control this:

b661541d0348c9e85de0c984f08ad53d.jpg

fe7592e12e03991bd12b8900b2103fd0.jpg

I haven't done any serious filming with it yet. Just a hand full of experimental flights. I really use goggles more for the fun experience than I do for serious shots. I tend to use the Go app for that. But that's just me! Things may change as I use goggles more

Thanks for the reply! I noticed they've got an all-in-one subscription with a free trial month, so I gave it a shot...ran across the settings you mentioned and basically have one test session in...seems mostly great.

It is MUCH quicker to respond, especially with that tilt sensitivity cranked. Both more immersive and better control

Couple things I already wish for;
• Camera is limited to 0° level...haven't found anywhere to enable the extra upward range you can get in DJI Go. Yes you'll see the props but in VR it's nice to have it if you need it

• would love accel/decel settings...with the tilt gain cranked there can be some abrupt changes

• I already miss the "zoom" feature from the other app I have, which lets you push in a little on the video image, filling the squarish space available for each eye. The sides are cropped this way, so maybe not ideal for framing, but it really helps to use as much of the available resolution as possible.

You gotta try filming with tracking active...it's very natural to control the camera and takes no extra thought. I find it much easier do things like keep a target dead center frame while flying over or tracking anything moving.

Still have my eye on the other Visual Vertigo App (3D FPV) which adds extrapolated stereo 3D (which I don't care about)...just because it looks like they have a mode where you can use head tracking to control yaw of the whole ship...giving you full range of motion in VR

Thanks for the reply! I noticed they've got an all-in-one subscription with a free trial month, so I gave it a shot...ran across the settings you mentioned and basically have one test session in...seems mostly great.

It is MUCH quicker to respond, especially with that tilt sensitivity cranked. Both more immersive and better control

Couple things I already wish for;
• Camera is limited to 0° level...haven't found anywhere to enable the extra upward range you can get in DJI Go. Yes you'll see the props but in VR it's nice to have it if you need it

• would love accel/decel settings...with the tilt gain cranked there can be some abrupt changes

• I already miss the "zoom" feature from the other app I have, which lets you push in a little on the video image, filling the squarish space available for each eye. The sides are cropped this way, so maybe not ideal for framing, but it really helps to use as much of the available resolution as possible.

You gotta try filming with tracking active...it's very natural to control the camera and takes no extra thought. I find it much easier do things like keep a target dead center frame while flying over or tracking anything moving.

Still have my eye on the other Visual Vertigo App (3D FPV) which adds extrapolated stereo 3D (which I don't care about)...just because it looks like they have a mode where you can use head tracking to control yaw of the whole ship...giving you full range of motion in VR

Slightly off but related question: How do you cancel the free trial subscription in FPV Camera?

Last edited:
Not really sure...I'm still on the free trial, and it seems that going to info > all-in-one subscription just gets me a "purchase? yes/no" dialog

I'll assume I either get a notice and option to buy when the trial's up, or a $3 charge on my iTunes account if they're sneakier about it.

Reactions: Purog
Hi guys, I did some searching and came across this thread.
I have some goggles ordered, they'll be here tomorrow, and will be using my IPhone 6+.
So can I use one of these goggle apps to open and use DJI go? If so please tell me which app to actually buy. Thanks guys

Hi guys, I did some searching and came across this thread.
I have some goggles ordered, they'll be here tomorrow, and will be using my IPhone 6+.
So can I use one of these goggle apps to open and use DJI go? If so please tell me which app to actually buy. Thanks guys

No - they don't work that way. There are VR apps that operate the Phantom: FPV Camera>FPV Goggles or Litchi, which hasn't been released yet for iPhone, but you cannot overlay a program on the Go app on your phone.

No - they don't work that way. There are VR apps that operate the Phantom: FPV Camera>FPV Goggles or Litchi, which hasn't been released yet for iPhone, but you cannot overlay a program on the Go app on your phone.

Thanks, not the answer I wanted. I haven't used any other apps yet, I am a beta tester for AutoFlightLogic but I've spent about 3-4hrs reading everything at their proxy flight school, it's really involved, set up a few missions, to leary to let it or any app take over.

Is there one you recommend over the others?

Thanks, not the answer I wanted. I haven't used any other apps yet, I am a beta tester for AutoFlightLogic but I've spent about 3-4hrs reading everything at their proxy flight school, it's really involved, set up a few missions, to leary to let it or any app take over.

Is there one you recommend over the others?
Sorry, but I have no actual experience, but I did follow another VR thread and people were very pleased with FPV Camera app from iTunes. Then you do an in-app purchase of FPV Goggles that makes it work with the Phantom. Total price is about $10. I haven't flown with it yet - just tested inside. You should check it out.
I'm really waiting for Litchi to add VR to their IOS app. But to be honest, I need to be able to easily see my P3 in the air at any time - call it third person viewing. Maybe the ultimate solution with goggles is AR (augmented reality) where you can still see your surroundings. We'll see.

Sorry, but I have no actual experience, but I did follow another VR thread and people were very pleased with FPV Camera app from iTunes. Then you do an in-app purchase of FPV Goggles that makes it work with the Phantom. Total price is about $10. I haven't flown with it yet - just tested inside. You should check it out.
I'm really waiting for Litchi to add VR to their IOS app. But to be honest, I need to be able to easily see my P3 in the air at any time - call it third person viewing. Maybe the ultimate solution with goggles is AR (augmented reality) where you can still see your surroundings. We'll see.

Thanks for helping. But it does still connect to the remote for downlink and all that right? I mean I can manage 300milliseconds, but not some type of wifi connection or something. I have about $35 in credits from iTunes, so the $10 isn't. A big deal, I'll prolly just download that.

Thanks for helping. But it does still connect to the remote for downlink and all that right? I mean I can manage 300milliseconds, but not some type of wifi connection or something. I have about $35 in credits from iTunes, so the $10 isn't. A big deal, I'll prolly just download that.
Yes, your iPhone still connects to your P3 controller's USB just like you were running the GO app, except you run FPV Camera > FPV Goggles for the split screen used by your goggles. The app also shows telemetry and a small map.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers