VPS indoors- tips and capabilities?

Reaction score
I've been asked if I can take drone photos of a Dance troupe while rehearsing. Haven't seen the space but intend to do a test.
But comments on another thread suggest VPS is only effective to about 3 meters. Is this true?
If so, then the idea is moot- no high angle shots from 20-30 feet up - not safely anyway....

Any thoughts on this?

My advice to you is don't try anything indoors unless you have prop guards on your Phantom. Flying indoors can be very shaky at best. That's to say nothing about the potential hazard if your Phantom goes out of whack and God forbid hurts someone.

Thanks. Proceeding slowly. First research, then a test with no people- if I decide to do it.
Prop guards great idea. Don't have them yet as I don't use them outdoors.
Again if only good for 3 meter height I may not do at all.
Although even 3 meters is higher than I can do with a tripod...

VPS in theory will not work in a darkened room either--like theaters generally are during a production. Only works over brightly lit non-glaring and non-uniform-textured surfaces.

So far I've never seen this feature doing anything as GPS seems to over-ride, and I've never tried flying in P-GPS mode without GPS lock--which is the only mode that VPS is supposed to work in (which makes little sense to me). The sonar feature though works fairly well and of course requires no light, but not so great on thick carpet and other sound absorbing materials.

Doesn't sound like a great idea for a dance theater then.
But I will go look. I'd be shooing during a rehearsal and probably can have house lights on 1/2 rather than dark. But we shall see.
Am I correct about the max height though for VPS?

Vps?i think this feature dji didnt study enough...coz to use it u have to follow the rules...3m...lit area...its not useful..everytime i use it in indoors my god it drifts coz i have a shining floor.so whats the point?i cant use it....its sticks there....so i hope next update dji could go in depth this vps system so it can be used to all grounds

It's no problem with flying indoor. I have try it. As long as bright enough vps will work. And the floor has patern.
I have fly it more than 3m and it still lock potition
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444295648.249007.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj