VPS and Night Time Flying?

Reaction score
I went for my first night flight the other night and I noticed when I let go of the controls when I got to altitude my P3 started to yaw to the right ever so slightly on its own, like it was out of trim or something with a conventional RC quad...So I tried yawing manually to the left and let go and the same thing occurred a very slight yaw on its own to the left. Now I thought something was wrong with it so I decided I needed a test flight the next day in normal day light. The test flight was perfect back to normal. Does anyone think that the VPS messes things up at night? Or maybe it's not the VPS at all...any info would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting theory. You could test whether it is VPS by climbing to 30 feet and seeing if it still yaws on its own.

Being that the vps dont effect the yaw or have any thing to do with the yaw Id say its not any thing to do with the vps. and if any thing it sounds more like the compass needing to be calibrated then a vps issue.

Tho I could see were night flying would effect the visual part of the vps system that is used to detect lateral movement. Being it needs to not only see the ground but it also needs to see details in the texture or pattern on the ground to be able to know if its moving. Tho the sonar part of the vps should still work to keep it at the right height day or night.

Reactions: MrJoe
I flew tonight at dusk for first time and I noticed it was drifting sideways slowly whilst hovering at 80 feet.in the day time its solid as a rock in any wind but I noticed vps was flickering the ground distance at same time so I defo think at night the vps has problems seeing the ground .I took manual control on auto landing cos it was moving into a tree and landed safely.
I noticed it drifting a tiny bit whilst flying forward too but not dangerously so

It was probably the rotation of the earth....lol

VPS will not over-ride a good GPS lock, even under 10'. It would only allow the P3 to climb if needed, up a hill (which is not relevant here).

I suspect that your GPS was just slight off or "light". My P2 used to slide a bit until it was flown around. I have seen the P3 do this but far less. But still, it gets rock solid once it's moved around a little bit. You don't mention the number of sat's locked but even with enough, the signal may not be perfect.

Usually if the craft will not stay flat and level it needs an IMU calibration while sitting on a flat level surface.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj