VPS and Forward Obstacle Avoidance on an thing other than Phantom 4?

Reaction score
I love everything about my P4 but especially the VPS and forward obstacle avoidance. Is there any other drone on the market that has anything as sophisticated as the P4 VPS and obstacle avoidance. I've been a simple forward system on some but maybe I don't know where to look.

I love everything about my P4 but especially the VPS and forward obstacle avoidance. Is there any other drone on the market that has anything as sophisticated as the P4 VPS and obstacle avoidance. I've been a simple forward system on some but maybe I don't know where to look.

The Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with Intel RealSense is the only one I know of.

I don't own one but the YouTubes I have watched the Yuneec OA looks more sophisticated then the P4.

The Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with Intel RealSense is the only one I know of.

I don't own one but the YouTubes I have watched the Yuneec OA looks more sophisticated then the P4.

According to those YouTube videos, the Typhoon H will actually back away from someone walking towards it's front. The P4 may not run into something, but something (someone) can can walk straight into it (ouch!). That's a simple fix in software, DJI?

According to those YouTube videos, the Typhoon H will actually back away from someone walking towards it's front. The P4 may not run into something, but something (someone) can can walk straight into it (ouch!). That's a simple fix in software, DJI?

Yes the regular Typhoon H with just sonar will stop and back away if needed.

The Typhoon Pro with RealSense will stop and look for a way around, over or under an object like a tree or pole.

Not sure if the P4 is capable of any of this or not.

Yes the regular Typhoon H with just sonar will stop and back away if needed.

The Typhoon Pro with RealSense will stop and look for a way around, over or under an object like a tree or pole.

Not sure if the P4 is capable of any of this or not.

I'm still new at this and exploring my P4 features, but I believe that it will go around obstacles in the "Follow Me" or "Go Home" modes. I wouldn't put a lot of faith into it outside of forward collision avoidance on large objects. Wires and branches will be hit before miss in most cases due to lack of size for the collision system to be able detect. It's basically a last resort method of self-protection in the event the pilot looses orientation or track of objects. It would be real handy if any of these drones had at least 180 degree forward sensing, then a better chance to avoid clipping trees or objects that easily fall outside of the cameras field of view.

I flew around a water tower a few days ago, got a little disoriented with controls as it was on the opposite side. Had I been just a few more degrees off - outside the obstacle sensing envelope, could have clipped a blade and had a catastrophic fall. I this instance, I opted to shoot straight up until I could see it before going any further.
Screenshot_2016-08-01-16-45-15.png

Yes. I have a P4 presently and it does more than just stop and hover when it encounters a forward obstacle and it will be able to avoid an obstacle moving toward it. It have seen it go over, under and around an obstacle. As you said, branches and wires not included unless they are the sixth of, say, a human arm. Because of the wide angle lens, obviously give thinks like the tower and tires a wide birth. Better safe than sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav