VPS and Animals

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the ultrasonic sonar.

I've seen really cool videos where people herd sheep with a drone.
It appears that the sheep are afraid of the prop noise and the drone.

But I was reading the P3 manual last night and came across this:
DJI P3 manual said:
Keep animals away from the aircraft when Vision Positioning system is activated. The sonar
sensor emits high frequency sounds that are only audible to some animals

It seems that the sonar's sound is 40kHZ.
DJI P3 manual said:
Do not use other ultrasonic devices with frequency of 40 KHz when Vision Positioning system is
in operation.

My research indicates that the sonar sound is within sheep's hearing range.
I can't find any specs on the dB of the sonar, but I'd imagine it would be fairly high.

I'm not the animal police or anything,
just curious if the sheep might be moving because of the sonar.
(Similar as how a dog whistle works on dogs).

Animal_hearing_frequency_range.svg

Last edited:
Dude , they are animals and they afraid from the fan noise, I've seen a video for a lion running away from a drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lol,
play around with some sound generator apps that work in our higher range of hearing.
You'd move too.
Ultrasound - Android Apps on Google Play

Just because YOU can't hear above 20 kHZ, it doesn't mean that ultrasonic sound doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Never fly over dog parks, some dogs get real crazy

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
It would be cool if someone here has the equipment to measure dB's at 40kHZ.

I'd guess that one of the 2 sensors on the P3,4 and Mavic send and the other receives.
At a usable distance, for the drones, of 3m, perhaps this "speaker" might actually travel some distance.

No other interest. other than curiosity.
But perhaps, a larger sensor/speaker could be mounted and herd those sheep more efficiently.

I've read a few posts about birds not liking the frequencies emitted by the sensors... my own experience has proven to be anything but 100% definitive either way. Most of my experience had been problem free with nothing even close to abnormal behavior... I did once however have a seagull seem very upset by the drone, and tested my skills as a pilot in order to eventually return home for a safe landing. I've never seen a seagull fly so aggressively as I did that day... I try to stay very clear of them now ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl