Vortex Ring State

Reaction score
I spent 26 years flying helicopters and can tell you this phenomena referred to as "vortex ring state" is treated with great respect by helicopter pilots (It is also referred to as "settling with power"). I've read several very good posts that have addressed this issue, but after having read several recent posts of crashes I thought I would address it again.

Getting in a settling with power situation where you are on final approach is extremely dangerous since your normal instinct is to add power and adding power only makes the problem worse. Simply speaking what happens is downwash from the rotors begins to recirculate up, around, and back down through the rotor discs and the multirotor sinks into the air mass. To avoid this phenomena avoid angles of descent between roughly 70 to 90 degrees with high rates of descent and slow forward airspeeds (particularly with a tail wind and near the ground). In some helicopters we avoid rates of descent that are greater than 800 ft/min (240 meters/min) below translational lift (approx 10-20 knots). I don't know what those numbers translate to for multirotors. If you do find yourself in this situation, try to increase your forward speed without adding power...again if you are descending uncontrollably, adding power will only make things worse.

This is good information, thank you! As you mentioned others in this forum have mentioned the problem and solution previously. I personally benefitted from that information when I saw it happening to my P2, I knew what to do and it's a relatively simple thing to fly out of it. All phantom pilots should learn about this and how to avoid and correct the problem.

Thank you!

havasuphoto said:
This has been discussed in many posts; http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5965

I retired after 23 years(bad back). 26 years is getting er done!!!
Thanks for the info...there are quite a few people not aware of this situation, and trying to recover at low altitude, by just adding a bunch of power, before the aircraft hits the ground.

Actually a bad back is what made me finally throw in the towel. Putting seats in the military helicopters I flew were pretty much an after thought and ergonomics was not even considered.

I hear you. I fly the S76 and even the newer ones have seats that might as well be cloth-covered bricks. The old A models though had awesome seats.... like flying in Lazy Boys lol.

I think the straight A topped out at 10,800... but good luck getting anywhere near that lol. Can't remember what the A++ is but with those Arriel engines, it could at least use it all. I remember coming off a rig a few years back in one. On the equator in west Africa in a very old A++ and only 4lbs under gross. Beeped the Nr to 100 and it just clawed its way off the deck no problem. No clue why a straight A won't fly at gross under the same conditions, it's the exact same frigging airframe lol. Unless Sikorsky fudged the numbers as a marketing ploy haha.

I have about 1000 hours in the C+ too. Despite the seats having been made by sadists, it's a dream to fly. Ours are oddballs though. For some reason the customer wanted the Garmins removed and a Trimble installed. Can you believe that.... a bloody Trimble!!! May as well have given us LORAN or a sextant lol. Supposed to be getting sent to a base with a C++ soon. Meh, I'm hoping for a 139 course hehe :cool:

Have just started learning to stop this one by using full stick down, full stick forward and some good ole yaw which ever way you want to spiral dive down :) .... seem to be able to pull out just above ground and have no issues blasting away at full noise...... looks way cool too, .... people that were watching thought I was about to crash :twisted:

I just want a base the rarely flys, and is kinda tourist orientated lol. After 4 years in west Africa, I need a change of pace! Preferably somewhere with a navy that doesn't shoot at me because they think it's a Nigerian scout helicopter...

Ah, must have been a Bristow man eh? Yeah screw Nigeria.... not enough money for that donkey show! Equatorial Guinea was bad enough. Got some photos of Simon Mann's plane though (what's left of it) so that was kinda cool lol.

Did the EMS thing in Vancouver for a few years. Great job but the pay is a joke there. With CHC now and it's pretty good. Should be getting based in Malaysia next month so that'll be an improvement!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20