Have you experienced VRS with the P3

• No - but I am careful not to bring it down too fast or too straight

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • No - and I just bring'er straight down 100% down stick

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Yes - I have experienced VRS with the P3

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
According to this VRS expert "labroides" on the DJI site he says its 'IMPOSSIBLE' for the P3 to go into VRS because of the way DJI has limited its decent rate..BS, I call BIG BS. IT can go into VRS, I know because its happened to me! And speed of decent is not the only way it can go into this state. I for one bring the P3 down nice and easy now, no reason to speed!

According to this VRS expert "labroides" on the DJI site he says its 'IMPOSSIBLE' for the P3 to go into VRS because of the way DJI has limited its decent rate..BS, I call BIG BS. IT can go into VRS, I know because its happened to me! And speed of decent is not the only way it can go into this state. I for one bring the P3 down nice and easy now, no reason to speed!
If you want to come down fast they have CSC.

Reactions: Jbundy63
What I have noticed is that when I have experienced VRS, twice, it has been vertical decent slow with no horizontal speed. When this happened, I was near a hollow area surround by trees within 10 feet away from the P2. I was guessing that the wall of trees, or whatever, funnels the returning updraft(ground effect) back into the top of the props causing zero lift. Just what I have experienced anyway.
Since then, I always have some horizontal speed when descending and stay clear of the "Wall" effect.

Must be something else or your Phantom because I've brought mine down so many different ways, fast, slow, right, left and backwards and it's as stable as can be!

Reactions: Coldfire
What I have noticed is that when I have experienced VRS, twice, it has been vertical decent slow with no horizontal speed. When this happened, I was near a hollow area surround by trees within 10 feet away from the P2. I was guessing that the wall of trees, or whatever, funnels the returning updraft(ground effect) back into the top of the props causing zero lift. Just what I have experienced anyway.
Since then, I always have some horizontal speed when descending and stay clear of the "Wall" effect.
That would make a lot more sense and is definitely possible.

I'd be interested to hear details of your incident because I haven't seen any reports of VRS affecting the P3 so far.
My own testing has not found any sign of VRS despite vertical descent from very high in calm air.
Given the way DJI kept the P2 to 2 m/s, I think it's interesting that they increased descent speed for the P3.
They obviously are not as concerned.

Unless I'm limited in space and required to "vtol" I usually try to take off and approach like a fixed wing. Makes for more fun of a flight as well.

Helpful. I understand one reason the P3 doesn't do this is the inward can't of the propellers. True?
I think you might have a very good point there - the air is being pushed out slightly sideways rather than straight down

I'd be interested to hear details of your incident because I haven't seen any reports of VRS affecting the P3 so far.
My own testing has not found any sign of VRS despite vertical descent from very high in calm air.
Given the way DJI kept the P2 to 2 m/s, I think it's interesting that they increased descent speed for the P3.
They obviously are not as concerned.
Well the details are as follows: Up about 150-200 feet, all is good. Slight breeze maybe 10 knots and for FUN I decide to point my camera straight down and do a fast as possible decent...at about 75-100 feet off the deck (flying at my local RC field), she starts the 'death wobble' which lasts about 2-3 seconds. I let off the left stick immediatly and she corrected and stabilized.

Interesting but it's not much of a death wobble if you got out of it so easily.
Also if there was a 10 kt breeze, even with a vertical descent you're not coming down in turbulent downdraft so VRS is quite unlikely.
My assessment (from limited details) is either it wasn't VRS or your P3 easily resisted VRS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj