Vortex Ring Crash V3.04

Reaction score
Hi.

I have had several flights on the Vision and on the Vision +
Now I also suffered a Vortex ring crash, at least it is what I think it was.
It was light winds 3-4 m/s so a straight down descent shouldn`t be any problem...
But sudently it startet to wobble in all directions, I tried to move the sticks inn all
directions, but there was nothing I could do... :( I have descented straight down in wind calm conditions
before, even with the old firmware where we could descend 6 ms.... So no I`v lost all confidence to my vision +
I thought the new restricted firmware would take care of this condition...?

After thinking about all night. I wonder if it would have been possible to enter manual or ATTI mode
to possible take it out of this condition. It seems like when it was in this state, it was maxing out all of the limitiations
of the flightcontroller in GPS mode. So every input was canceled out by the flightcontroller in order to try to get it level? If it have been in manual, it might have been a posibility to ex. roll it out of this state?

Any suggestion?

Prop guards?

I never descend straight down while hovering, always descend while traveling in some sort of direction. Never had a problem. Just my two cents, good luck. :)

Jason Church said:
I never descend straight down while hovering, always descend while traveling in some sort of direction. Never had a problem. Just my two cents, good luck. :)

No propguards.
I never had a problem either until yesterday.
I have over 100-120 flights on the Phantom and never
Had a similar condition. And when you have wind aloft or descending in some
Sort of direction makes no difference.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I understand the theory that if you descend straight down (stationary) in a 5mph wind for eg, it is the same as traveling forward at 5mph in no wind. Having said that, why tempt fate? Real helicopters never descend straight down in any conditions for this reason. Personally, I always descend when moving, usually forward. I don't see the need to descend straight down unless you are trying to negotiate a tight space or through a hole in the roof....

But you are correct in that the Phantom tries to compensate for the wobble until it gets itself into such a state of disarray it's completely out of control. I think by that stage recovery in ATTI or MANUAL mode is possible, however unlikely.
Just my opinion...

I have seen some posts which suggests turning off the controller to initiate RTH has pulled it out of this state - which does imply some kind of feedback amplification.
If nothing else is working and you have time it might be worth a go, but it's also interesting that these falls are very often at quite low altitude.
I wonder if strong thermals are involved in some of them.
That could effectively mimic rapid descent through the air even when stationary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20