Volume Measurement - Phantom 3 Pro..... anyone?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was asked last night if it's possible to calculate Volume Measurements (of a quarry for instance) with my P3P. I told him I don't see why not but then I got to thinking... HOW?

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with volume calcs with this platform?

Thanks in advance!
Allen

Pix4D, Mapsmadeeasy, and DroneDeploy all have the ability to perform volume calc. They all provide the flight apps to control the flight and either the software or the service to compute volumes.

Pix4D, Mapsmadeeasy, and DroneDeploy all have the ability to perform volume calc. They all provide the flight apps to control the flight and either the software or the service to compute volumes.

Thank you kitfiter for your valuable input. It's genuinely appreciated.

I've used DroneDeply and MME several times but just for creating images etc. Measuring volume is completely foreign to me and I was looking more for a "Oh it's easy... once you have the images obtained you...blah blah blah" type of input.

I'll dig around the respective websites a bit deeper and see if I can locate a basic "Volume Measuring for Dummies" available LOL!

Pix4d is fairly easy to use for volumes. The perimeter of the area is drawn and designated. A base elevation is selected and the volume is calculated. We use it for stockpiles of sand, gravel, and fill materials. The tricky part is the base. For stockpiles, the base elevation is pretty regular. I have not done quarries or open pits. Because the base elevation might not be regular, it could be more difficult. What we do with borrow pits is measure the volume of the hole to a base elevation before removing material. After removal, we measure the volume to the same base elevation and the difference is the volume of the materials removed. I believe that Mapsmadeeasy is fairly similar but I have not tried it.

The mapsmadeeasy website has tutorials on this and other uses of their app and service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers