Volcanic flying, Electromagnetic interference?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be flying near a volcano on wednesday, and I did some research into the lava that surrounds it. It is mostly basaltic, which has some iron oxides in it, and are known to be weakly magnetic.

Do you think something like this would prevent my P3P from taking off from the ground as there will be some iron in the soil content? "Compass error, please fix"

And what would be the effects upon my P3P and its compass and flying ability being in the air around a weakly magnetic lava field? Could it get confused and just drop out of the sky? Think left is forward? Not matter at all 400 ft up?

Should I do a compass caliberation on site to get it adjusted to the magnetic field, or somewhere outside of the lava field? An interesting fact I learned is that when some lava cools, it holds within (the magnetic iron part) the magnetic field of the earth at the time it was created. Which can potentially cause different lava field areas to have different magnetic orientation/ interferences, however most of the lava area has been exposed to lava in the past 100 years, so there should not be much difference in magnetic orientation in the surface level of the ground.

Thanks for your insight.

I've flown over two volcanic craters (with large amounts of basalt) using a P3 and I1 and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
you'll prolly be ok

no, but someone did...
Someone had a zoom lens for those shots, likely from a helicopter. Implying you took those with a quad misleads others to think this it's possible with a drone, and it's not, unless you want to melt the phantom and say bye bye to your bird. They won't be ok.

Last edited:
Someone had a zoom lens for those shots, likely from a helicopter. Implying you took those with a quad misleads others to think this it's possible with a drone, and it's not, unless you want to melt the phantom and say bye bye to your bird. They won't be ok.

i wasn't implying i did anything.

perhaps you read more into my 4 words than was there...

If you look closely (or read the YouTube comments), you can see it is actually a phantom (the leg shows at :10). You can read the description, and the comments here: youtube.com/watch?v=0-shWVW1UBc

He claims there was no damage to the drone.

Last edited:
If you look closely (or read the YouTube comments), you can see it is actually a phantom (the leg shows at :10). You can read the description, and the comments here: youtube.com/watch?v=0-shWVW1UBc

He claims there was no damage to the drone.
You're right, I didn't see this in the YouTube viewer at first, but it does state DJI . That second scene with molten lava flying all around seemed impossible a drone would survive that. I'm still skeptical, seems awfully lucky one of those lava chunks didn't hit the drone, out of the hundreds flying around and Above the drone. How does one get that lucky?

It does seem improbable. I wonder if it was a Phantom with a 4K GoPro, and in the later scenes (when the leg doesn't come into view), if it's been zoomed in and cropped to a lower resolution, making it appear closer than it really is in those later scenes. It's pretty impressive, and close, regardless (yet I wouldn't wanna risk my bird like this).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik