VLOS or LOS?

Reaction score
Reading all the posts about long distance records I am still confused whether it is allowed and also safe to fly beyond the point where you cannot see your drone with the naked eye (VLOS).

Others fly within the LOS range. See Had my longest flight (distance and time) today..

In the Netherlands the rule seems very clear: you should maintain unaided sight at all times.
In the states according to this post this is also the case: Registration Requires Intent to Fly VLOS Only!

“The UA must be operated within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the PIC at all times. This requires the PIC to be able to use human vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, as specified on the PIC’s FAA-issued airman medical certificate."

Who can give me some good advice on this topic?

It is the same here in the USA... you must technically maintain VLOS... but many, many people fly beyond that. Is it safe? Well, if you trust your equipment to work properly and your own flying skills then probably safe as long as you are not somewhere that could pose a danger if it came down. "Safe" is a double edged knife and you will get all sorts of opinions on that...

Reactions: rene van der meer
In the states according to this post this is also the case: Registration Requires Intent to Fly VLOS Only!
The registration process includes a list of guidelines that the FAA would like everyone to follow. They are not laws though, so there is no need to follow them if people are able to fly safely. In most cases, doing things like flying under 400 ft and flying VLOS is the safest way to fly. They are great guidelines and most people would be wise to follow them.

Is it safe? re you flying around people, building and trees or 100 miles from anything? Are you flying at 100' or 400'? The list goes on and on. It's a judgement call and depends on many other factors. No one an tell you if it's safe or not, you need to make that determination. Also, there is no way to have much of an opinion unless all the facts are known about that certain flight.

Reactions: rene van der meer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.