Visual Positioning System - Test 2

Reaction score
It's been said that the P3 holds it's position better with VPS turned on. I did a prior video that I think showed that it does nothing when the P3 has a good GPS lock. Let me be clear, I'm talking _only_ about the downward facing camera and not ultrasonics. It was mentioned in this forum that the P3 hovered with less movement with VPS turned on. So I decided to do some testing on this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty sure Gps over rides vps if it has a good lock. Vps would only come into play if there is no gps (indoors metal building )is what I understood. Be nice if someone did this test indoors with no gps , vps on and off

Reactions: bobmyers
Pretty sure Gps over rides vps if it has a good lock. Vps would only come into play if there is no gps (indoors metal building )is what I understood. Be nice if someone did this test indoors with no gps , vps on and off

This is my question exactly. Because I need to get good smooth footage indoors, I don't want to have GPS on to eliminate the intermittent GPS lock. This interrupts the smooth manual entry. If you're in ATTI mode, does the VPS still work, or is it linked with GPS (like you said previously). I need to try VPS indoors in ATTI mode. Also, outdoors, I wanted to confirm that VPS does not interfere with GPS as they battle each other for position vs. GPS over-riding VPS like you mentioned. In other posts, it seems like VPS is wanting to get in there and do it's thing even as the GPS is on which sounds to me like it battles it slightly vs. complimenting it.

This is my question exactly. Because I need to get good smooth footage indoors, I don't want to have GPS on to eliminate the intermittent GPS lock. This interrupts the smooth manual entry. If you're in ATTI mode, does the VPS still work, or is it linked with GPS (like you said previously). I need to try VPS indoors in ATTI mode. Also, outdoors, I wanted to confirm that VPS does not interfere with GPS as they battle each other for position vs. GPS over-riding VPS like you mentioned. In other posts, it seems like VPS is wanting to get in there and do it's thing even as the GPS is on which sounds to me like it battles it slightly vs. complimenting it.
VPS works in ATTI, I think it's called OPTI. VPS does not compete with GPS, ever, because it's disabled when GPS is active (the visual part, anyway).

I'm not sure I've seen anywhere state that VPS is disabled if GPS is locked. But GPS down not have the accuracy to hold a quad if the wind is even slightly blowing. At least in the US, max accuracy of civilian GPS is 3 meters. So it would SEEM that VPS is still active. A true test would be to duplicate the above video in 10+ kt winds.

So is it better to have the vps off if i never fly indoors? Does it make a difference when you manually land?

So is it better to have the vps off if i never fly indoors? Does it make a difference when you manually land?
The VPS is only used when the P# is within 3 meters or closer to the ground. It is best to disable it if you are flying outdoors.

VPS does not over-ride a GPS lock. So if you have a GPS lock VPS won't affect flying very much. Personally, I leave it on on it _will_ help maintain a low height if you are gliding along the ground and the ground rises. So there are reasons for leaving it on and none that I know of for turning it off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31