Visiting the State Fair

Reaction score
We drove to Springfield to the State Fair on Friday. We were going to see Steely Dan at the racetrack stadium. I had to keep this at a pretty high altitude as I didn't want to attract a lot of attention, but I still did. You see the racetrack where the bandstand was set up. From the sky the fair looks a lot smaller than when you are walking thru it. I wanted to do a low run thru the main street, but a guy comes up to me and says, “Do you know we are right next to an airport?". No I didn't, I'm from out of town. "Well I'm a pilot out of that airport and you are not allowed to fly here". I told him I'm bringing it right down and thank you for letting me know. So that was the end. Don't understand why the 'No fly zone' feature on my phone app didn't prevent me from flying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZ-VoVsF80

Eh, I wouldn't be flying over crowds of people with a toy Quadcopter, it's being said time and time again to not do it. If it for some reason lost control and fell outta the sky and hit a bunch of people there'd be some huge issues.

Only major airports seem to be programmed into the DJI software. Our local airport has no restrictions for my P2V+. Just have to be aware if you fly anywhere nearby.

I just read an article recently of someone flying over a big concert venue for one of the big festivals. Apparently the FAA got involved and gave the operator a slap on the wrist and a training session on the rules, regulations and laws regarding drones.

Be careful!

quality control said:
I just read an article recently of someone flying over a big concert venue for one of the big festivals. Apparently the FAA got involved and gave the operator a slap on the wrist and a training session on the rules, regulations and laws regarding drones.

Be careful!

Does that 'training session' include permission to do those things (or otherwise some sort of credentials you can use)? Or is it just "sit through three hours of us telling you to stop flying it". I'd voluntarily take such a course if it meant having a quick way of dismissing wanna-be sheriffs.

Only a few major airports are in the DJI restrictions but you should be aware of what's near where your flying. In this case the fair grounds are just off the approach path to an significant airport that is only about 1.5 miles away. The nominal three degree glide slope would put aircraft at about 400 feet as they pass the fair grounds - and some planes could be lower. I just wouldn't fly that close.

w0by said:
Eh, I wouldn't be flying over crowds of people with a toy Quadcopter, it's being said time and time again to not do it. If it for some reason lost control and fell outta the sky and hit a bunch of people there'd be some huge issues.

I agree in theory, but there are going to be people under us almost anywhere we fly. For the most part of this flight I stayed to the side of the midway. Planes fly over me everyday and they have been known to fall out of the sky and yet they keep flying over my city full of people. I just try to keep my bird well maintained and try my best to fly to the side of crowds.

quality control said:
... Apparently the FAA got involved and gave the operator a slap on the wrist and a training session on the rules, regulations and laws regarding drones.
Must have been a short training. There are basically Zero rules, regulations or laws regarding drones and the FAA has Zero legal authority to enforce any "guidelines"

Also, btw, we're not flying 'drones'. ;)

(Both tongue-in-cheek and serious - among other things, it's such a scare-word; we should be more accurate when discussing it)

cahutch said:
quality control said:
... Apparently the FAA got involved and gave the operator a slap on the wrist and a training session on the rules, regulations and laws regarding drones.
Must have been a short training. There are basically Zero rules, regulations or laws regarding drones and the FAA has Zero legal authority to enforce any "guidelines"

That was here in my town of Chicago. He made the flight I wanted to video. Just to much of a hassle to get down there during Lollapalooza. They only slapped him on the wrist because he broke no laws or regulations.

w0by said:

If I worried about all the stuff you do I wouldn't leave the house.

A car may blow a tire on the highway and slam into me, we still drive
a plane may fall from the sky and kill me, we still fly and go outside
the bridge may fail and I'll plummet to my death still use them every day
the parachute may not open and then I'm dead, oh wait I do that too

I'm tired of all the people who want us to go 10 miles out in a field and fly and film cows
If you want to live in a bubble step right up, but me I'm living life and with life there is danger

Yes common sense flights are a must, but that does not mean you cant fly over people
don't do High speed passes or low flights over them give yourself some odds
but hey have fun with your craft and enjoy life .
Go out with no regrets not wishing you had lived

Here is one I filmed at the fair and I love it, The fair board is even linking it to there site

http://vimeo.com/103753274

skyhighdiver said:
w0by said:

I'm tired of all the people who want us to go 10 miles out in a field and fly and film cows
If you want to live in a bubble step right up, but me I'm living life and with life there is danger

Yes common sense flights are a must, but that does not mean you cant fly over people

Here is one I filmed at the fair and I love it, The fair board is even linking it to there site

Bravo. I don't understand how most of these people on here get out of bed in the morning. The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

skyhighdiver said:
w0by said:

With all of your examples there are professionals that regulate and safely professionals have input and licensing. Cars need inspections stickers and you need a license Planes same thing
Bridges are also regulated for safety reasons I'm also guessing you spent a long time learning how to pack a parachute.

As of now there's NO training or regulation. That's the difference as of now. no air bags or backup parachutes or redundancies

detholm said:
skyhighdiver said:
w0by said:

With all of your examples there are professionals that regulate and safely professionals have input and licensing. Cars need inspections stickers and you need a license Planes same thing
Bridges are also regulated for safety reasons I'm also guessing you spent a long time learning how to pack a parachute.

As of now there's NO training or regulation. That's the difference as of now. no air bags or backup parachutes or redundancies

Yes there are car inspection but that does nothing, a car or plane can fail 10 minutes after you inspect it still I fly
any idiot can get a license to drive or maybe the driver that kills you doesn't even have one still I drive
yes I spent a week learning to pack my chute and 8 months flying my phantom so far
I feel confident in its systems and my judgment. I don't need the government telling me when and where I should fly my camera.
Im ok with the AMA guidelines for the most part but what do we call a populated area, :?: In city limits, a crowd of 500 1000 5000 ? were do we say its to many and why
why is it any less safe to fly over 10,000 than it is one :?: is the ones life not as valued as many :?:
I mean there are 25 people at the model airplane club what if my quad fails there and hits someone? why is that any less dangerous than flying over my city park.
Risk is risk either suck it up and live with the risk or sell your quad and watch tv
but stay 30 ft away from it as it may cause cancer. :mrgreen:

Hovtech said:
We drove to Springfield to the State Fair on Friday. We were going to see Steely Dan at the racetrack stadium. I had to keep this at a pretty high altitude as I didn't want to attract a lot of attention, but I still did. You see the racetrack where the bandstand was set up. From the sky the fair looks a lot smaller than when you are walking thru it. I wanted to do a low run thru the main street, but a guy comes up to me and says, “Do you know we are right next to an airport?". No I didn't, I'm from out of town. "Well I'm a pilot out of that airport and you are not allowed to fly here". I told him I'm bringing it right down and thank you for letting me know. So that was the end. Don't understand why the 'No fly zone' feature on my phone app didn't prevent me from flying?

I loved your video. It's too bad that somebody scared (pressured) you out of continuing. There are way too many nay-sayers these days. America will NEVER be the power house we once were because of all the scaredy cats. Most folks don't realize that we became numero uno by taking calculated chances. That's becoming less and less popular - too many safety fears!

"It's too bad that somebody scared (pressured) you out of continuing."
We shouldn't be arguing one extreme or another. The "I can fly anywhere I want to" is ignorant and irresponsible. The "I am afraid to fly my Phantom" is a shame. (or I am afraid of any firmware after 1.08) I agree we have to judge how much we trust our Phantom in any given situation - but one must make a conscience and reasonable risk judgement every time we fly.

I took a look at Google Earth. In this case the fairgrounds are very close to the approach path to a fairly good size airport and only about 1.5 miles from the end of the runway. A three degree nominal glide slope puts aircraft at an average of about 400 feet altitude as they pass the fairgrounds. Some will certainly be lower. I therefore would have to agree that for safety reasons that is not a good place to fly the Phantom.

When I was skydiving, people would ask us "isn't that a dangerous sport" and our response... "Yes it is dangerous, and the most dangerous part is driving on the roads to get to the drop zone". It's all relative.

skyhighdiver said:
w0by said:

Your flying ability is outdone by your editing ability.

slothead said:
Hovtech said:

I loved your video. It's too bad that somebody scared (pressured) you out of continuing. There are way too many nay-sayers these days. America will NEVER be the power house we once were because of all the scaredy cats. Most folks don't realize that we became numero uno by taking calculated chances. That's becoming less and less popular - too many safety fears!

Thanks for that. If you would like to see a few others

https://www.youtube.com/user/ghovany/videos

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl