Vision+ wifi degrading over time (how hot does yours get?)

Reaction score
I have never had a range out or hickup with the + (unlike the original vision which had corruption issues). But recently, the range is down to a couple hundred feet and it freezes frame and catches up. I closed the app, reloaded etc. The repeater is charged to full. I tested in the wilderness.

Anyone else have such an experience? Any way to determine if the fault lies with the repeater or the phantom? They say 500m-700m I am getting less than 1/8 that and I am aiming the repeater carefully too (before it just worked).

Re: Vision+ wifi degrading over time

I hope this is a isolated case.
Because I am afraid that DJI did nothing with the electronics of the new range extender other than changing the
firmware of the radio.

I did some hacking and found out that they use DD-wrt OS on the extender.
I haven't tried to get into the setup of it but I am worried that they just set the wifi chip output to max 500mw
and didn't change anything else.

If they did that the wifi chip may fail over time if it doesn't have the proper heat dissipation ( heat sink)
also I have seen some one take one apart and find copper fish tape wrapped in foam tape on the inside of the top cover.
I will bet they have been having issues with the higher out put of the 5.8Ghz interfering with the range extender.

Need to keep an eye on this.

I notice the top of the range extender gets quite warm to the touch. Do you have this experience? I will do some more experiments but when out of range I can't control the camera (turn on / off recording) the preview is choppy. I dropped from 640x480 30fps to 320x240 and it made no difference. Again, I had 20+ flights without wifi issues, but lately the last 5 have had this issue. Originally I thought it was because I was in an area with wifi interference, but had flown there before without issue. Just flew in an area with no other wifi signals and was getting video studder at less than 200'!

Your comments about it being to warm made me think. Also if you pull data across wirelessly, it works the extender even more, I wonder what the data rate is at 640x480 streaming vs pulling 1gb over in 5 minutes. I think perhaps people should avoid using the wireless transfer to phone even sporadically / when travelling.

I will do more tests then see about having the repeater replaced. It is so difficult to troubleshoot DJI hardware issues.

The thing that is really strange, is it never says it lost the signal and signal strength is still high, the image just isn't there or I can't control it (start/stop recording, tilt gimbal), but it doesn't report in the app the signal is lost.

davephantom said:
I notice the top of the range extender gets quite warm to the touch. Do you have this experience? I will do some more experiments but when out of range I can't control the camera (turn on / off recording) the preview is choppy. I dropped from 640x480 30fps to 320x240 and it made no difference. Again, I had 20+ flights without wifi issues, but lately the last 5 have had this issue. Originally I thought it was because I was in an area with wifi interference, but had flown there before without issue. Just flew in an area with no other wifi signals and was getting video studder at less than 200'!

Your comments about it being to warm made me think. Also if you pull data across wirelessly, it works the extender even more, I wonder what the data rate is at 640x480 streaming vs pulling 1gb over in 5 minutes. I think perhaps people should avoid using the wireless transfer to phone even sporadically / when travelling.

I will do more tests then see about having the repeater replaced. It is so difficult to troubleshoot DJI hardware issues.

The thing that is really strange, is it never says it lost the signal and signal strength is still high, the image just isn't there or I can't control it (start/stop recording, tilt gimbal), but it doesn't report in the app the signal is lost.

I'm experiencing something similar.. I thought they increased the range of the wifi extender compared to a PV2..
My PV2 link has the antenna extensions to a 14dbi Antenna.. Maybe I need to do the same for the PV2+

NRL777 said:
davephantom said:

I'm experiencing something similar.. I thought they increased the range of the wifi extender compared to a PV2..
My PV2 link has the antenna extensions to a 14dbi Antenna.. Maybe I need to do the same for the PV2+

How warm / hot does the top of your extender get during use? I am not yet clear if this issue related to the extender or the receiver on the phantom. It is strange, as many say they are getting 1000+ feet stock and by the specfications the wifi should outlast the controller but my experience is certainly the opposite.

If wifi worked reliably to 500ft I would be happy, let along the spec'd minimum of 500m!

Re: Vision+ wifi degrading over time (how hot does yours get

Do you have to use the latest (1.1.39 / 1.1.40) version of the app with the VIsion +? I'm on the Vision, and updated to 1.1.40 on my moto X a few weeks ago, and it seemed to work fine right away, really liked to 640 30fps view and it held up pretty solid at good distances. Then it started losing video once in a while, I had issues reading files from the sd cards, and started losing wifi more and more frequently. I finally reverted back to the old version of the app (1.1.38), and my fpv has been rock solid. Don't know if it fixed file issues, and I miss the higher res at 30 fps, but I'll take the same res at 15fps as long as it's steady. Don't know if this is possible for the + but worth checking out anyway.

jimdenburg said:
Do you have to use the latest (1.1.39 / 1.1.40) version of the app with the VIsion +? I'm on the Vision, and updated to 1.1.40 on my moto X a few weeks ago, and it seemed to work fine right away, really liked to 640 30fps view and it held up pretty solid at good distances. Then it started losing video once in a while, I had issues reading files from the sd cards, and started losing wifi more and more frequently. I finally reverted back to the old version of the app (1.1.38), and my fpv has been rock solid. Don't know if it fixed file issues, and I miss the higher res at 30 fps, but I'll take the same res at 15fps as long as it's steady. Don't know if this is possible for the + but worth checking out anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am on iOS so have the latest up and no choice on version as far as I know. Any other iPhone users on previous versions or suspect this is an app related problem?

You might want to go here http://sharewith.excipere.com/ navigate to vision and the earlier IOS app (ends in 32 I think), and give it a try for shits and giggles. Shouldn't hurt anything as it's just the app and if it doesn't work, you can always reinstall the newer version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers