Vision+ WiFi Booster Apps Compared

chluk2425 said:
may I ask what's your procedure or activating the booster? I was working in this order:-

Turn on the reaper
Turn on phone's wifi and connect the reaper
Open booster apps
Slide the button to on
Set the values to 13dbm for both reaper and the drone
Open up vision app and fly

The results was, I get 6 out of 8 phantom connection broken at around 400m distance... not that impressive but I would say i get more distance than without it. The location where I was flying were either with cranes or with lots of buildings having quite a lot interference from their wifi.

Question: was this a right order, and any comments on improving the range?

Thanks in Adavnce

In the original RC Taco instructions he said to connect with the DJI Vision app first... Open camera tab and verify video signal... then open Utility app and perform your boost adjustments...

You say you set 13dBm on both... that would actually reduce the power of the repeater as it comes out of the box at 20dBm setting from DJI per their spec sheet ... next thing I would try is boost to 20dBm on the camera setting and leave the repeater alone and see if that increases your results...

Last time we checked the repeater settings weren't working anyway so... you set it at 13dBm.... and it had no effect so no big deal... I don't know if ocatcr has resolved that issue recently but I haven't heard anything so I assume it still doesn't function.

Does anyone else worry that routine use of a booster app is going to shorten the life of the wifi module?

It's tempting to routinely boost even when flying relatively close to hand.
I think it would be wise to only boost up when you are fairly sure it is needed.
Heat seems implicated in the module suddenly failing, so almost certain that increasing the power output won't help matters.

cahutch said:
13dbm is fine for the Phantom but I'd boost the repeater (not the reaper) to 20dbm

ops... bad English :oops:

DBS said:
chluk2425 said:
may I ask what's your procedure or activating the booster? I was working in this order:-

Turn on the reaper
Turn on phone's wifi and connect the reaper
Open booster apps
Slide the button to on
Set the values to 13dbm for both reaper and the drone
Open up vision app and fly

The results was, I get 6 out of 8 phantom connection broken at around 400m distance... not that impressive but I would say i get more distance than without it. The location where I was flying were either with cranes or with lots of buildings having quite a lot interference from their wifi.

Question: was this a right order, and any comments on improving the range?

Thanks in Adavnce

In the original RC Taco instructions he said to connect with the DJI Vision app first... Open camera tab and verify video signal... then open Utility app and perform your boost adjustments...

You say you set 13dBm on both... that would actually reduce the power of the repeater as it comes out of the box at 20dBm setting from DJI per their spec sheet ... next thing I would try is boost to 20dBm on the camera setting and leave the repeater alone and see if that increases your results...

Last time we checked the repeater settings weren't working anyway so... you set it at 13dBm.... and it had no effect so no big deal... I don't know if ocatcr has resolved that issue recently but I haven't heard anything so I assume it still doesn't function.

howcome I remember seeing someone said the default was 7dBm for the drone and 12dBm for the repeater... ok, my bad not reading the spec sheet carefully..

I actually have a thought on the order of applying the boost... maybe it applies to android only as iphone will suspend the app when it is idle for a while; in android, the app will actually still running behind, so will you normally do a taskkill of both booster app & vision app everytime the powercycle of the battery?

The app doesn't need to be running. Tye app simply creates an SSH connection to the repeater or the phantom, runs a command to boost the WiFi amplifier and disconnects.
The signal boost will continue until either device is powered off. Doesn't matter of the app is still running or not.

4wd said:
Does anyone else worry that routine use of a booster app is going to shorten the life of the wifi module?

It's tempting to routinely boost even when flying relatively close to hand.
I think it would be wise to only boost up when you are fairly sure it is needed.
Heat seems implicated in the module suddenly failing, so almost certain that increasing the power output won't help matters.

It was shown on the forum somewhere that the wifi module onboard the Vision + has hardware capable 500mW max power output as it is common parts used in other devices... so we're boosting to one fifth of its capability... for 20 minutes at a time... with props blowing air into cooling vents providing airflow inside the body shell...

So yeah... I don't worry about it much and use it all the time...

However... I wouldn't power up the Phantom and leave it on for hours as a wifi Web Cam with no props running for cooling.

Or keep going thru battery after battery on a hot sunny afternoon after pulling the Phantom out of a blazing hot trunk of a car and boosting the crap out of it the whole time...

I think for normal use its a non issue... boosted or unboosted I don't feel any difference in the Phantom shell above the board at all... just regular warmth from components inside.

cahutch said:
The app doesn't need to be running. Tye app simply creates an SSH connection to the repeater or the phantom, runs a command to boost the WiFi amplifier and disconnects.
The signal boost will continue until either device is powered off. Doesn't matter of the app is still running or not.

so it's a one off, thanks clarifying :D

cahutch said:
If you like to do things manually you can SSH into the Phantom wifi and mess with all of the wifi config parameters.
See this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17704

Noted this post previously; but if a free app could do the job maybe it's better to stick with it... getting it wrong on a company's asset doesn't feel good to me... tough my boss has always encouraging me to mod it to get a longer range :? :?

DBS said:
I could try running dashware with the utility pro file and some gauges and see if it syncs to a video properly and report back here later...

Also... In the video posted below I used Vision Plus Utility Pro app for 20dB boost and as you can see it works like a champ...
Clearly my choice for the thread named "booster apps compared" ...

Can't argue with results like that yo....

How did you go with syncing to dashware DBS? ..I have all the data logged files on my nexus just wanting to see if the dashware software works OK so I can purchase. Last trip out I boosted 20db as well n got to 516m..I got scared and turned back :) didn't want to lose LOS. And, as you know using FPV and getting familiar with orientation takes a bit of practice.

Brettly said:
DBS said:
I could try running dashware with the utility pro file and some gauges and see if it syncs to a video properly and report back here later...

Also... In the video posted below I used Vision Plus Utility Pro app for 20dB boost and as you can see it works like a champ...
Clearly my choice for the thread named "booster apps compared" ...

Can't argue with results like that yo....

How did you go with syncing to dashware DBS? ..I have all the data logged files on my nexus just wanting to see if the dashware software works OK so I can purchase. Last trip out I boosted 20db as well n got to 516m..I got scared and turned back :) didn't want to lose LOS. And, as you know using FPV and getting familiar with orientation takes a bit of practice.

Sorry ... haven't done it yet... things got busy around here and I got stuffed doing yard work and the "honey do" list... This afternoon I have another shot... if not... Friday....

One step at a time on the FPV is smart... you will thank yourself later :ugeek:

PVFlyer said:
Our latest FPV Booster V2 (iOS only so far) equips with an interference control algorithm.

Hm, may I guess it just enables auto channel? Because, when I installed the luci/WebUI stuff on my P2V+ yesterday to enable WPA2 encryption, I was surprised that the wifi seems to be set to channel 1 fixed?
Also the region setting is US even it was sold to Europe where more channels are available. :?

From what I can tell it doesn't do anything except boost to 13dbm.
I don't see any sign that it enables auto channel or even changes the channel.
To be fair though, I haven't done any testing in a dense wifi environment and it so happens that where I am, channel 1 is unused so if it would have no need to change channels.

Brettly said:

Tried it tonight ... had an error in one of the data columns and it won't work with Dashware.... notified RC Taco in his thread... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198&start=50#p211590 I'm sure it can be fixed ... just need to turn "milliseconds" into "seconds" for time sync.

cahutch said:
From what I can tell it doesn't do anything except boost to 13dbm.
I don't see any sign that it enables auto channel or even changes the channel.
To be fair though, I haven't done any testing in a dense wifi environment and it so happens that where I am, channel 1 is unused so if it would have no need to change channels.
If you fly in urban area, all legal Wifi channels are occupied somehow within your flight area. It would not help much to reduce interference by changing Wifi channel, unless you know a strong Wifi hotspot nearby your pilot end. We don't change Wifi channel in our booster app. If you fly in open area, your aircraft's Wifi is a key source of noise.

There are 2 main sources of interference (RF noise), #1 is from environment (such as Wifi router at your home and neighborhood, cellphone, WebCam, powerline, etc.) and #2 is from aircraft electronics (such as Wifi module inside aircraft, camera, ESCs, motors). Our V2 interference control algorithm deals with both of these noise sources.

Per the feedbacks from multiple beta testers, our V2 outperforms V1 by 30%-50% extra range with the SAME 13dBm (20mW) TX power, even in wide open area without other Wifi noise source. A beta tester (LMC, flying 640x480 15fps FPV with stock Wifi in open area) reported 8,400' with V1 and 12,000' with V2. Setting higher TX power on the aircraft (such as 20dBm, 100mW) may not always get you longer range per our testing but it definitely generates more RF noise, and FPV range is something like hit-and-miss especially without interference control. The interference control algorithm is not something you can see from OpenWrt UI or iwinfo command.

DBS said:
Brettly said:
Tried it tonight ... had an error in one of the data columns and it won't work with Dashware.... notified RC Taco in his thread... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198&start=50#p211590 I'm sure it can be fixed ... just need to turn "milliseconds" into "seconds" for time sync.

Yep. Had a go last night, downloaded the trial and uploaded vid and data file. Got the same error. Tried different profiles and "decated" or whatever it is worked but didn't sync at all. Seems easy fix and modifying .csv required.

If anyone is using the Taco RC Free version Vision+ Utility, what setting do you like? Also, I know these apps are supposed to increase distance, but do these also allow for a better Preview Quality? Right now my S4 works great 320X240 30fps, but breaks up or stops at 640X480 at 30fps. Will this app let me go to 640X480? Thanks.

I manually changed the value to 15dBm and flew 400m @ 200m altitude, 600m @ 100m altitude, 722m @ 100m altitude and finally 800m @ 50m altitude

Fritz said:
If anyone is using the Taco RC Free version Vision+ Utility, what setting do you like? Also, I know these apps are supposed to increase distance, but do these also allow for a better Preview Quality? Right now my S4 works great 320X240 30fps, but breaks up or stops at 640X480 at 30fps. Will this app let me go to 640X480? Thanks.

15dBm, 200m high, 350 distance, 640x480 30fps, previously 70m high 300m distance 320x240 15fps, connection broken

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20