Vision vs vision +

Reaction score
So i am looking for a phantom 2 vision or vision+, to mount a h4-3d gimbal on.
Issue is that i bought a phantom 2 non-vision, and the fact the i cannot se a POV from my gopro is really a dealbreaker, so i am trying to figure the cheaper/easiest way to make this happen.

So questions i have -

1. What hardware needs to be changed on my non-vision to cheat the app into thinking it is a vision and being able to use the waypoint.
also would it be possible to rip the "lightbrigde" part from a p3 and insert to the p2, if i found a crashed p3?

2. If the first route is too expensive or impossible, i will need to buy another drone, and sell the one i have.
but i can't find any info on the hardware differences on the vision/+
are the any differences in functionality, other than the Camara?

- Martin

its not worth it , there are difference is hardware. p2V+ works on a different frequency than the P2 . honestly i would recommend getting a P4. if you don't want to spend that much look for a good deal on a P3A or P3P

its not worth it , there are difference is hardware. p2V+ works on a different frequency than the P2 . honestly i would recommend getting a P4. if you don't want to spend that much look for a good deal on a P3A or P3P

P3 and P4 are way better , my P2V+ was a little buggy where the P3 and P4 are super solid.

Thanks for your replies.
Thing is i don't wanna spend alot of money on it. I only bought the drone because i had the gopro Camara, which is arguable as good, if not better than the p4 Camara.. and i already have the gimbal.. so im pretty certain i will buy either a p2v or a p2v+, and mount the Gopro 4 to.
then i would have a pretty decent setup for 300$ which i don't believe is possible for a p3p or a p4.

Which of the p2v and p2v+ better and why ? :)

Reactions: chopper109
when i was researching this a couple years ago there were issues with the wifi modules interfering with each other i believe the p2 uses the same 2.4G freq as the gopro which causes issues with FPV and i believe was causing flyaway issues.

how much were you going to spend? personally after having the other birds i wouldn't even bother with the P2 series, don't get me wrong it was amazing when it was new, but the reliability and features of the newer models makes it hard if not impossible to even consider. P3 series is exponentially better

If you have a P2 non vision then all you need to add is some cheap FPV gear, if you want telemetry data then you need the DJI IOSD system, do an ebay search for it.

As for waypoints, well its possible if you buy the DJI bluetooth ground station setup for it, but your already into the cost of a P3 standard so far, so as advised I would just go for one of them.

Patrick, I was going to spend 300 - 400$. It was really just an impuls buy after seing some great footage from a p2/gopro h4 black on youtube.
This is also the reason for the poor research, i think i was just a tad too fast on buying a bird.. I really am amazed at the flying properties, but really dissapointed it is that expensive to build a proper fpv and waypoint onto.

If it could be done i would love to buy a p3 and build my gopro/h4-3d onto. And i have a hard time understanding why it can't be done.
Would love some info on this topic tho.

however if that is the case, I would be able to build the p2v+/h4-3d combo for around 400$ when all is said and done.
Thing with the gopro is the abillity to possibly opgrade to a hero 5 sometime when it gets released.. Then i would have top notch video.

clearly easiest way seems to be buying a p2v+ and build the h4-3d onto.

Last edited:
Hey TheDroneman93,
All P2's are basically the same. Let me explain.

They all use the SAME NAZA, Same mainboard, only difference between the P2, and P2v ( camera excluded ) is the frequency.
P2 uses a 2.4 ghz ( transmitter, and receiver )
P2v & p2v+ use a 5.8ghz signal ( transmitter and receiver )
So this being said
If you but a 5.8ghz Tx ( preferably a dial wheel ), and a receiver ( both well under $100us ) you have a p2v ( minus camera egg ( and a couple wires ) ( servo wire ( pitch ), and camera wire ( power/communication ), but neither are needed for the HD gimbal. Much cheaper than a whole new craft, now that being said, if you wanted a plus, you'd need a new style shell with LARGE belly hole, p2v old style WONT WORK, battery pinches cables Badly. But with right shell, plus landing gear ( bit taller for gimbal clearance ) a wifi module, camera/gimbal, cable set with RF board , and finally a range extender. But literally all p2's are the same. Minor differences. All parts are interchangeable! I just finished a P2v to P2v+ build all went smoothly, and she works beautifully!
Food for thought, I hope this helps, please keep us informed!

Just wanted to be clear:
Your P2, with a new receiver and Tx ( 5.8ghz ) would be the same bird as a p2v or p2v+ ( minus a few wires, and camera goodies )

J Dot
:cool:

No,
The p2v ( non plus ) the wifi module is tucked into the camera egg, on the p2v plus, it is onboard craft snuggled atop mainboard. Telemetry comes from mainboard, wifi unit only broadcasts it. Most p2 users use an onboard OSD UNIT, w/a video transmitter, to send signal ( go pro folks ) and to receive, they use a receiver and monitor. You could however, use a plus wifi unit, BYPASSED, as no gimbal installed, to receive ( on screen display ) OSD/telemetry through vision app, however you will receive no live video feed.

Honestly, your best bet is this.
( screw the wifi unit ( they are $175us ))
Bird side:
Upgrade your P2 ( receiver to 5.8ghz ) new 5.8ghz Tx ( dial wheel for gimbal control ) ( as we won't be using app to control pitch )

Video Transmitter ( video/GoPro signal ) 2.4ghz ( with antenna )
( there is a cable you need to hook GoPro to video Tx )? You'll have to search, cannot remember, been a while, and a few grey hairs later, lol.

IOSD mini ( I believe that is DJI's version )? This mounts inside phantom, to give you telemetry.

Then ( Tx side )
Receiver ( 2.4ghz ) ( with antenna )
And monitor
( , I'm not sure if there is a way to use a tablet here? I never got that far )

hero 2's were out then, but when the plus came out, it rained supreme over go pro, but gopro's newer stuff is nice. Just also keep in mind, with any of these gimbals , 1 crash, you lose everything! They are great, but do not hold up good in bang ups!
I wish you the best of luck, and if you can/will, please post pics of your build along the way, so others AFTER you can try your idea in the future! Take care, and keep us updated, and let us know if you run into any problems along the way?
Take care, Fly safe!

J Dot
:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers