Vision Tested to 11,000ft, but how much higher can it go

Qwadjok said:
Chuggie:

Great photos. But again, you are publicly admitting you took your quad up over 1000ft. You need to be more careful when posting information that crosses over the line of legal verses illegal. FAA rules are specific about the 400 ft elevation level.

Albeit, your shots are great and probably not in anyone's way, but reading other forums, the FAA is searching for violations and when you post it publicly, you help them make their case against you. A little discretion is in order I'd say.

Nice photos tho. :)

once again a person running there knowledge base on line with out the correct info

you can fly as high as you want to the 400 ft level is a FAA voluntary advisory not the law

skyhighdiver said:
Qwadjok said:
Chuggie:

Great photos. But again, you are publicly admitting you took your quad up over 1000ft. You need to be more careful when posting information that crosses over the line of legal verses illegal. FAA rules are specific about the 400 ft elevation level.

Albeit, your shots are great and probably not in anyone's way, but reading other forums, the FAA is searching for violations and when you post it publicly, you help them make their case against you. A little discretion is in order I'd say.

once again a person running there knowledge base on line with out the correct info

you can fly as high as you want to the 400 ft level is a FAA voluntary advisory not the law

This depends of course on the airspace you are in. There are places where is true and then there are places where this not true.

ResevorDG said:
skyhighdiver said:
Qwadjok said:
Chuggie:

This depends of course on the airspace you are in. There are places where is true and then there are places where this not true.

Nope, it doesn't depend on where you are. A model aircraft or little Phantom drone is not subject to FAA regulation period, end of story.

Nope, it doesn't depend on where you are. A model aircraft or little Phantom drone is not subject to FAA regulation period, end of story.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't there be an issue if you tried to fly this thing all around an airport like LAX or JFK? I would imagine class B airspace would come with more flight restrictions than class G or perhaps an MOA?

And let's not forget the difference between "can" and "should". The law in the UK (and it is law, not advisory) says you can fly rc aircraft as high as you like provided you can maintain unaided visual contact. Depending on weather that could be any height from 100 ft to about 1000ft. However the catch all in UK law is that you must at all times fly such that you are not being reckless and endangering people or aircraft. I would imagine there would be grounds for suing you in the US if you were flying in a flight path, or even in open airspace, and you crashed into a light aircraft. That and reckless endangerment.

Bottom line is whatever you fly and however high you fly, obey local laws and even if there aren't any, don't fly like a d!ck. :)

ResevorDG said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't there be an issue if you tried to fly this thing all around an airport like LAX or JFK? I would imagine class B airspace would come with more flight restrictions than class G or perhaps an MOA?

Class B Airspace is restricted. Experimental aircraft and UAV's should not operate there.

Unaided visual contact ... I flew 2000' up once at night and could see it absolutely no problem - clear as anything. Those lights are great. Probably could've seen it quite a bit higher. During the day if you have a crisp bright blue sky you can see it relatively easily at 1000' and a bit beyond - don't remember how high I have seen it. Against cloud or light cloud, not so well. I would never fly it >400' anywhere near an airport class B or otherwise.

Was tempted to take my quad on a recent moto trip to CO, but lacked the luggage space to pack it (no topbox). However, was thinking it would be awesome to fly around/over Independence Pass and get footage of the road and surrounding country.

The pass is 12,096' high, so I've concerns with my (admittedly entry-level) Phantom 1 being able to carry a GoPro Hero3 up that high. But based on the replies here, I doubt it'd be too much of a problem. I'll have to remember it for the next trip.

Never fly over 400 ft AGL any time, anywhere, and never at night. Period. No discussion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj