Vision Tested to 11,000ft, but how much higher can it go

Khakis1999 said:
Great video beautiful mountain. But as a PV owner, this video really shows how much better the go pro hero blk edition with the zenmuse gimbal is. The PV videos are far inferior to a P1. It's a backwards step for DJI. I realize this was
Meant more for pictures and that a pro version of PV is in development. But I hope they offer a Zenmuse type
Gimbal addition soon for the PV.
In addition, the PV camera is FAR from rugged. I'd go as far as to say it's made of Glass. I had one hard landing and the cam took a crap on me. I lost all telemetry and live view aswell as camera functions. I sent it back for an exchange. What a shame the P1 was rugged like a tank!

Thanks for the compliment on the video. I am sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your Vision. I am starting to see Gimbles for the vision for go pro cameras. I am happy with the quality of still images that the Vision offers though. Here is one I took today. I reduced the resolution and Jpeged the heck out of it to get it within 600k for this board.

Attachments

• BigHornsFirstBench11-29-131kSmall.jpg
    BigHornsFirstBench11-29-131kSmall.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 548
Great vids and pics!

I've had my P1 up to about 12,300 (Loveland Pass, Colorado) and it flew like a champ. I've been trying to learn to do some ski training video with the P1 this weekend at about 11,200. Unfortunately my P2 fell from the sky on it's first flight last week so I can't comment on that one.

Ski Race Training P1 11,200 Feet - Loveland Ski Club, Colorado - Sprongo Training Video Site - Not and HD site.

https://sprongo.com/video/978617#playlist/67500

https://sprongo.com/video/978111#playlist/67500

Loveland (not great video, I'm new at this and it was a really windy day with no gimbal etc.) Pass 12,200+ Phantom 1:

http://youtu.be/c2HjlwQg_jo

Brrrrr....got a chill just looking at those winter conditions and envisioning the temps. I hate winter - and snow - and cold. I live for summer. Gotta get the HELL out of New York. :oops:

Nice video, though...

PF

UAVInsurance said:
Great vids and pics!

I've had my P1 up to about 12,300 (Loveland Pass, Colorado) and it flew like a champ. I've been trying to learn to do some ski training video with the P1 this weekend at about 11,200. Unfortunately my P2 fell from the sky on it's first flight last week so I can't comment on that one.

Ski Race Training P1 11,200 Feet - Loveland Ski Club, Colorado - Sprongo Training Video Site - Not and HD site.

https://sprongo.com/video/978617#playlist/67500

https://sprongo.com/video/978111#playlist/67500

Loveland (not great video, I'm new at this and it was a really windy day with no gimbal etc.) Pass 12,200+ Phantom 1:

http://youtu.be/c2HjlwQg_jo

Nice Video, I know those places well, I was just snowboarding at A-Basin back in October, and I am wearing an A-Basin Jacket right now as I am typing this. I noticed A-basin is the ski race video. I am sorry to here about your P2, I've had good luck with mine thus far, but I have only had it 11days, and have flown it maybe 30 times in those days. I am looking forward to seeing more video from your Phantom flights in the mountains.

-Chuggie

PhantomFan said:
Brrrrr....got a chill just looking at those winter conditions and envisioning the temps. I hate winter - and snow - and cold. I live for summer. Gotta get the HELL out of New York. :oops:

Nice video, though...

PF

I understand the need to get out of New York. I used to live on the island in Islip county and in Jersey in Northern Bergen county. If you want to fly at high elevation this time of year it will be cold. The real challenge flying the vision in the cold is that because of the iPhone or android interface you cant wear gloves and have control over the camera. My coldest flight was right about 0deg F, and my fingers froze up quicker than a Phantom Vision burned its battery. Got back in the car and drove a ways to warm up, and then flew at a second location.

Chuggie said:
Greetings:

I have been looking to find out at what elevation above sea level a Phantom 2 Vision can Fly. This morning (11-23-13) I took my Vision up to the top of Powder Pass here in Wyoming USA. The temperature was 15deg F (-9.4C). The top of the pass is 10,000ft elevation (3048m) and I flew the vision more than 1000ft above its launch elevation to 11,000+ft (3353m). The Phantom Vision still climbed quickly and responded well at this elevation, but I know there is a limit to all good things, and on a warmer day my Vision may not have performed as well as it did today at the elevation I flew it. If anyone has any info on the elevation ceiling of the Vision, or if you have flown your Vision higher than 11,000ft I would like to know about your experience.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQY3lC3CFfs[/youtube]

Went back up on the pass today but it was too windy to fly. Shot some new pics and video a little lower though. Will post soon.

Chuggie

Chuggie:

Great photos. But again, you are publicly admitting you took your quad up over 1000ft. You need to be more careful when posting information that crosses over the line of legal verses illegal. FAA rules are specific about the 400 ft elevation level.

Albeit, your shots are great and probably not in anyone's way, but reading other forums, the FAA is searching for violations and when you post it publicly, you help them make their case against you. A little discretion is in order I'd say.

Nice photos tho. :)

Chuggie:

Great photos. But again, you are publicly admitting you took your quad up over 1000ft. You need to be more careful when posting information that crosses over the line of legal verses illegal. FAA rules are specific about the 400 ft elevation level.

Albeit, your shots are great and probably not in anyone's way, but reading other forums, the FAA is searching for violations and when you post it publicly, you help them make their case against you. A little discretion is in order I'd say.

Your height is only limited to the radio signal. Maybe in the thin air, and a great 5.8GHz cloverleaf antenna system would help you reach the ionisphere?

Qwadjok said:
Chuggie:

Just to clarify,

I took the Quad up over 1000ft from where it was launched, but I followed the contour of a peak; therefore, never reaching an elevation of 400ft above ground level.

Thanks,
chuggie

Qwadjok said:
Chuggie:

Your height is only limited to the radio signal. Maybe in the thin air, and a great 5.8GHz cloverleaf antenna system would help you reach the ionisphere?

Glad You Liked the Photos

Qwadjok said:
IDrone. I've flown my P2V at -5 degrees F. Flew great but I froze and so did my Galaxy 3.

I was out ay -10 the other day, and my iPhone 4S battery died way quicker than any of the phantom stuff did.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Lets see if you can beat my altitude.

-5 meters (-16 ft)

I live in the Netherland below sea level :)

Re: DJI 2 Vision First & Last to Fly inside Vikings Dome

Hey Chuggie:

The Minneapolis Metrodome where the Vikings play is being torn down to build a new state of the art stadium. As a result, many of the area RC guys were flying there on the last day 12/20/2013 that anyone could get in. I heard about this and rushed down to the dome so I could get the DJI photographed in there before they demolished it. The WiFi didn't work in there so I was not able to get any video from the quad, but did get some from my cell phone.

The DJI 2Vision is the first and last quadcopter to fly in the dome. I was the last pilot to land before security rallied everyone to pack up. I was lucky, all I had was 30 minutes to fly before it all ended.

My girl was the last RC to fly in the Minneapolis Metro Dome. Hope you all like the shots. If I can find a way to get my video now transferred from my cell phone to the PC, I will load it here also.

Attachments

• 20131219_134454.jpg
    20131219_134454.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 449
  • 20131219_134518.jpg
    20131219_134518.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 345
Re: DJI 2 Vision First & Last to Fly inside Vikings Dome

Qwadjok said:
Hey Chuggie:

The Minneapolis Metrodome where the Vikings play is being torn down to build a new state of the art stadium. As a result, many of the area RC guys were flying there on the last day 12/20/2013 that anyone could get in. I heard about this and rushed down to the dome so I could get the DJI photographed in there before they demolished it. The WiFi didn't work in there so I was not able to get any video from the quad, but did get some from my cell phone.

The DJI 2Vision is the first and last quadcopter to fly in the dome. I was the last pilot to land before security rallied everyone to pack up. I was lucky, all I had was 30 minutes to fly before it all ended.

My girl was the last RC to fly in the Minneapolis Metro Dome. Hope you all like the shots. If I can find a way to get my video now transferred from my cell phone to the PC, I will load it here also.

I'm sorry to hear that the Metrodome is coming down. I thought that the Super Bowl halftime show there was the best of any Super Bowl half time shows ever. In fact I downloaded video from the net of the show, and have it on my computer. And that is the only halftime show I have ever downloaded.

Congratulations on being the only quad to fly there. By the way I am a Minnesotan, I was born in Duluth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl